PDA

View Full Version : Polished stainless vs. chromed Stainless

harbormaster
03-17-2005, 01:01 PM
If you were buying some flashy boat hardware, would you have a preference on Polished stainless vs. chromed Stainless? The price would be the same.
The quality chromed stainless would last a long long time and look twice as shiney as the polished stainless. Take the poll and register your preference.

onesubdrvr
03-17-2005, 01:26 PM
I myself honestly perfer the brushed look 1st, polished 2nd, chrome 3rd. I think too much shine takes away from the overall look of the engine - and to me, chrome CAN IN SOME CASES, look like that shiney plastic on kid's toys.

Just my opinion

McGary911
03-17-2005, 01:32 PM
I like the polished stainless myself. Looks chrome-ish, but you can still tell it's stainless. With chrome, you cant tell whether it's stainless or pot metal under there. I like to be able to see the quality.

Rootsy
03-17-2005, 04:39 PM
lot easier to repair scratched polished stainless than it is chromed stainless... :)

turbo2256
03-18-2005, 07:28 AM
lot easier to repair scratched polished stainless than it is chromed stainless... :)

Chrome plating reduces the strength of the material it is applied to. Chroming stainless is also a different process than say steel. The process for steel can be applied to stainless but will not be as durable of a finnish.

Rootsy
03-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Chrome plating reduces the strength of the material it is applied to. Chroming stainless is also a different process than say steel. The process for steel can be applied to stainless but will not be as durable of a finnish.

Thanks for adding that Turbo... best watch out or walt will be hollaring at you for being too "technical" http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/puke.gif