PDA

View Full Version : PNW Travel Advice

RickSE
03-17-2005, 12:44 PM
I need some travel advice from some of you guys up in the Pacific Northwest. In a couple of weeks I'll be traveling from Flagstaff, AZ to Vancouver, B.C. with a boat in tow and was wondering if anyone has any advice on the best route over or around the Cascades?

I have two main route options,

1) Head north up through Salt Lake, Boise and over the Cascades to Seattle.

2) Head west to CA and jump on I-5, taking I-5 all the way up to Seattle.

Option #1 is the shortest route but I'm worried about road conditions on some of the mountain passes in early April. I also don't really know what to expect if I just head up I-5. I've been up as far as Redding, CA., but have never been any further north into Oregon or Washington.

Scubado
03-18-2005, 10:23 AM
I've traveled both the routes you mentioned. You won't have any trouble with mountain passes in April. You'll have to pull more hills and mountain passes if you go route North through Salt Lake.

There are only a couple of mountain passes North of Redding on I-5. Shasta Lake is nice for boating if you want a boat break on that route.

Lenny
03-18-2005, 10:36 AM
I-5 it and let us know when you are coming. We can get an 18 and a Blackhawk to join you out there.

RickSE
03-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys.

Sounds like I-5 may be best. I hate I-5 in CA though, boring as hell until you get up north.

I'd drop the boat in the water but it's not my boat. I'll be delivering Blueliner's new 22-Aronow/custom, meeting him at the US-Canada border. I should be up in mid-April, probably after the 16th.

Lenny
03-21-2005, 10:43 AM
:) :) :)

Formula Jr
03-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Rick, I suggest you use the saltlake city route then pick up 84 to oregon and I-5 north to Canada. There's nothing on this route that is any more mountainus than I-5 through norththern callfonia/southern Oregon. In april the passes are all clear.
Unlike the California route, you will actually enjoy driving through the columbia gourge. Try to time driving through Olympia to Canada for late night or very early morning.

thriller
03-26-2005, 06:27 PM
:canada: :canada: :canada:

gcarter
03-26-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm sure Blueliner is going to enjoy hi new Donzi.