PDA

View Full Version : new parts for old donzi?

joseph m. hahnl
03-15-2005, 06:07 PM
does donzi sell parts for their boats? thru a dealer? or are you spit out of luck when something breaks. or is missing?

penbroke
03-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Post what you're looking for and you will likely find someone here who can hook you up. :wavey:

Frank

joseph m. hahnl
03-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Post what you're looking for and you will likely find someone here who can hook you up. :wavey:

Frank
i'm looking for engine cover hinges for my 88 minx. and also a 15Amp in dash circuit breaker.

gcarter
03-15-2005, 07:24 PM
I will have some Minx hinges available as soon as I get the other set re-chromed. It may be awhile, but I do have some available.
I also have an entire engine hatch. Honey, w/red stripe and baby blue accent stripe.

joseph m. hahnl
03-15-2005, 07:40 PM
I will have some Minx hinges available as soon as I get the other set re-chromed. It may be awhile, but I do have some available.
I also have an entire engine hatch. Honey, w/red stripe and baby blue accent stripe.

that would be great. i'm not sure if mine are hidding some where in the boat. i'm not in any urgent rush. "snow,snow,and more snow" "it just keeps falling" let me now what you want for them and when you're able to part with them.

gcarter
03-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Joseph, for what it's worth, those original breakers are doo-doo. They are not at all water tight. You'd be better off by useing a better style.
But if you insist, someone here found replacements. Just do a search.

joseph m. hahnl
03-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Joseph, for what it's worth, those original breakers are doo-doo. They are not at all water tight. You'd be better off by useing a better style.
But if you insist, someone here found replacements. Just do a search.

what is the make of the better style and are they in dash like the original ones.

gcarter
03-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Try something like this;
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=16292&catalogId=10001&classNum=295&subdeptNum=124&storeNum=9
I think you'll find variations on these and different sources. Also I think the thickness will be the same but they are taller. In other if you look at the front of yours, they are about 1/2" square. These are about 1/2" X 1".

joseph m. hahnl
03-19-2005, 04:30 PM
that's a bit of a help i thank you for your imput. but i still go back to the origanal question. can you buy parts from donzi thru a dealer or direct. or are you stuck with searches for after market stuff.

gcarter
03-19-2005, 05:10 PM
The only parts available are the ones that are used on the current Classics i.e. hatch latches, hinges etc.
Contact "jw".

joseph m. hahnl
03-19-2005, 05:42 PM
The only parts available are the ones that are used on the current Classics i.e. hatch latches, hinges etc.
Contact "jw".

Thanks george : that's a big help. let me know when you want to part with those hinges and what you want for them. i,m in the process of pulling my 350 magnum out. the guy i bought my minx off dunked the exhuast under water and got salt water in the combustion chamber. when i took the hoses off i can see he didn't flush the water jackets and there is a lot of iron oxide in the thermostat H port. they're really restricted. i haven't fully accessed the damage i,m hoping on just the long block. if the corosion is that bad in the intake jackets and exhaust jackets. i'm probably looking at turn key motor which would be a little out of the budget right now. in any case i will still need hinges.

Cuda
03-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Got any pictures of the Minx?

joseph m. hahnl
03-20-2005, 08:03 AM
Got any pictures of the Minx?

not yet. soon though ,red with vannilla. it has new paint "paint" "WHAT A DRAG"
any way looks good now but the guy who did it did a real shoddy job.i sure in a few years i,m going to have issues. like how the FFFFF do i get that off. any way live in the moment i guess!

Donzigo
03-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Joseph, Donzi, like most other manufacturers of boats, is an assembler of boats, and neither produces nor stocks a lot of old parts, other than what might be used in what they are producing now or plan to produce soon. Most parts come from the vendors and sub-contractors. Donzi only makes the fiberglass parts, hulls, has an upholstry shop, & woodworking shop. Even so, they sometimes sub-contract out upsholstry work. Most parts you will seek for your boat are available from the various systems & parts suppliers out there.

Here's a for instance, when it comes to old parts: When I was looking for an old fuel cap assembly, not manufactured any longer, I traced the part to Perko, in Miami, & called them. It took quite a while for them to blend my order into their manufacturing pipeline; but, eventually they were able to make me the origional part, and ship it to me. Many of the various surplus places are a possible resource for you, as well as people on this board who have old parts.

I hope this helps.

joseph m. hahnl
03-20-2005, 08:54 AM
so what your saying is they use commercial items and if you know who the manufacturer is you can get the parts from them if they have a supply.that does help thanks!!!!!!!!

gcarter
03-20-2005, 11:26 AM
What Richard says is true. The hatch latch is probably unique in that it has "Donzi" cast into it. The old hatch hinges were, I believe, made by Perko, but they are not flat. The pins are "cranked" to compensate for deck camber. So the hinges for a 18 or 22 Classic,lots of camber, or a Minx, almost flat, are different. The old lifting eyes are different from the newer ones. The gas fill is still in production at Perko.