PDA

View Full Version : AHHH!!!! engine broke 2 weeks before AOTH!!!

jwright
04-29-2001, 10:23 PM
I was out for my shake down cruise and after runnning out on Lake Michigan wide open (only 4500 rpm) i came into the harbor. After idling for about 10 minutes, the motor started running rough all of a sudden. Then I limped to the ramp, got home, pulled the valve covers and there it was... broken spring on #2 intake.
Isn't there a way to change springs by using compressed air in the cylinders and not pulling the heads off? If anybody has some insight into broken valve springs on small block chevys let me know! I hope it was just a bad spring and not signs of things to come! Well, better get to the Summit website and spend some money...
Thanks!

jwright
04-30-2001, 06:59 AM
Ya, I realized that I was being optimistic when I wrote my email last night. I may pull the head to see what happened in there. It may take a little while since my fingers will be crossed while I pull it!

Thanks for the advice

Looped
04-30-2001, 07:24 AM
jwright,
Another way is to feed a thick rope though the spark plug hole enough so that it will keep the valve stuck up in place. It's worked for me, at those times that I did not have a compressor nearby.

Craig

DONZIMAN2
04-30-2001, 07:32 AM
The compressed air works well. The last time I changed valve springs this way was on my 427 Pro Street Camaro. Just make sure your air compressor has big B@#$^. Make sure the springs you replace it with are the right Diameter. Which model head are you running. The broken valve springs I have found to be more common on Big Blocks. When you replace them look at doing all of them while you are there. By some good retainers and Locks also. Summit/Jegs should have everything you need. Hope you get it fixed in time.

RickR
04-30-2001, 09:10 AM
j
A compression tester plug adapter can be used with a compressor to hold the valve up.
MAKE SURE YOU ARE AT TDC and have the crank fixed in place (I use a break bar on the harmonic balancer bolt)

also
I would hold the valve stem with my fingers, let the pressure off and spin the valve to make sure the stem is not bent, along with madpoodle's suggestion to check the pushrod.

BTW If much air is leaking you you have a problem. If air is comming out the carb or exhaust it's the valves or valve seats. If air comes out the crankcase it's rings or cylinder wall pitting from reversion.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 04-30-2001).]

jwright
05-08-2001, 10:49 PM
Well........
Decided to pull the head to be sure and the valve spring was not the biggest problem. My exhaust valve seats were shot..... so took them in and got the works! No contact with th pistone either. I have never done a compression check so I had now idea that it was so tired.
Just got it together tonight, start it up tomorrow and hope for no oil leaks!!! So.... I should be there Friday by dinner if all goes well......
Thanks for all the help guys!