PDA

View Full Version : Any Treasure Hunters out there?

harbormaster
03-14-2005, 02:29 PM
I am researching some research on a project.
Does anyone know where there is info readily available on Country Laws and regulations regarding the salvage of sunken antiquities in Belize and also Panama?

I have some calls into their respective consulates but they are having a hard time coming up with the info. I bet they would know right off the bat if they caught me bring up a million plus dollars of gold bullion from a wreck in their waters.

Fish boy
03-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Scot,
no hard facts, but I think you hit the nail on the head about see what happens when you bring up the goods as to what they come up with.

I beleive Mel Fischer (Atocha and others) spent years looing for the Atocha and other ships lost in US waters. As soon as he brought it up, I beleive Spain tried to lay claim to the treasure since they were spanish galleons. Of course Fla and the US jumped in too. Funny, no one said a word when he was dragging the magnometer around the ocean looking for the treasure, but as soon as he found it, everyone wanted it.

Might try doing a google search for treasure, sunken treasure, salvaged treasure, etc. once you find some, search for law suits relating to that treasure. Might get ya started. The only thing I am pretty sure of is that if it is found in a country's territorial waters, they will likely lay claim based on that.