PDA

View Full Version : HARLEY Question for anyone.

Lenny
03-14-2005, 10:59 AM
I have an opportunity to pick up a used Harley from a friend I did a kitchen for. I think I need one of these things for some reason.

Now keep in mind that EVERY bike I have ever owned, (never even had a licence for running one on the road yet,) I have dumped to some degree. I have some "thing" about going fast and not knowing how to slow down or turn or something going on :eek: Anyways, that is another story.

So this fella is buying a new Heritage Softail. He is getting rid of this old one he had, and has owned since NEW. Many years it has not even licenced.
It has the original tires on it, and only 15,000 miles. It is all original in every way and "leaks oil" with the best of them.

It is a 1981 Sturgis (FXB) 80 cube, belt.

There is not a mark on it. Has the red stripe tires etc. This is an AMF year I believe but since I know nothing about this stuff I will just listen. (read)

He wants $7800 US for it. Is it worth it?

I figure if I get a clean white T-shirt, start smoking and roll a pack into the shirt sleeve and put on 150 pounds and grow about 6 inches I will look reallly cool on this thing. :D

Thanx

ChromeGorilla
03-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Q. Why are so many parts on a "Hardly" chrome?
A. So you can find them when they fall off.

ChromeGorilla
03-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Now keep in mind that EVERY bike I have ever owned, (never even had a licence for running one on the road yet,) I have dumped to some degree. I have some "thing" about going fast and not knowing how to slow down or turn or something going on Anyways, that is another story.

Kinda like Cuda's first ride down the driveway, 'member? :moped:
:rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7759

gcarter
03-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Friday Elaine went to Daytona to see her mother. Aside from it taking an hour to go the distance that normally takes 15 minutes, she said every biker she saw weighed at least 300 lb!!!!! :shocking:

Craig S
03-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Friends don't let friends ride .... hardleys.

and the fringe is to see if they are moving.

Walt. H.
03-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Lenny,

In one word yes it is. That model is rare to find custom because it was the first Belt drive Willie G. Davidson designed, i've only seen two forsale in the past ten years. Limited production model at that time and highly praised now. Since its all original right down to the tires its worth over Ten thou$$$ U.S Dollars if not more.
Even if you don't ride it Buy IT!!!!!!!!!! you'll make money and be hounded by other buyers!
But if you do ride it, change the tires. They are hard and dry by now "no traction".

My Shovel Head doesn't leak and i've owned it since new "1978",

Walt

txtaz
03-14-2005, 02:39 PM
It's still AMF IMHO. Blue books low at $3 and high at $5. I have no idea about the intrisic value. If it is highly regarded, could be over $10k, but it's still AMF. I'd put my money into an evo bike. But Lenny, It's all about what you want it for. If you want to ride it and be somewhat comfortable after a few hundred miles, go with a rubber mounted evo bike. If you want collectors value, research out the Sturgis FXB and see if it's worth it.
We ride alot. The hard mounted 94 Road King hurts my back after 200 miles. The 98 rubber mounted Road King is good for about 350 per day. On Dad's 03 Aniversary Edition Ultra Classic, just turn on cruise control, pop in a CD, take a nap and it lets you know when you get there. :smash: :smash:
Personally our kick around bike (750 Honda Shadow) is a better ride that either Harley. To me more bang for the buck.
Hope this helps.
Wes

Cuda
03-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Kinda like Cuda's first ride down the driveway, 'member? :moped:
:rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol

That's harsh man! :bawling:

BUIZILLA
03-14-2005, 04:13 PM
just do the deal Lenny, if you don't want it, send it east.... hmmm.... southeast.... hmmmm.. wayyyy southeast :p

I wouldn't mind having it.

JH

Lenny
03-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Jim did you ever get my money I sent? If not it should be there today or tomorrow. :)

Cuda
03-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Lenny, I asked on a Harley site about it. After wading through the typical bullchit posts that are so common on Harley forums, one guy actually answered the question.

##################################################
It would bring close to $8,000 in Sacramento. $7,850 is a fair price. Those were a very desirable bike if in original condition. The only negative about it is the double belt drive. I don't care for a front belt and, as you can see, it didn't last long with Harley-Davidson, either.

As to the rear belt, not a problem except if you were to need a new inner primary. The chain drive ones are A/M only now and the belt drive four-speed Shovelhead ones were never common and are rare now.

Cuda
03-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Lenny, does it look like this?

BUIZILLA
03-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Lenny, fun tickets came today.... I didn't smoke the whole thing at once..

JH

Fish boy
03-14-2005, 06:35 PM
.... I didn't smoke the whole thing at once..
No, he shared it with a friend ;) LOL

BUIZILLA
03-14-2005, 06:59 PM
It's RASTA !!! :hyper: :sombrero:

Ed Donnelly
03-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Lenny; Make sure you have Drane Harley check it out and they give it a clean bill of health. Drop down your money and head to TO in July. Ship it back to Victoria and fly home.................Ed

Lenny
03-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Cuda, that is it only the tank is black. There is nothing touched on this thing. It looks like this one. There is not a mark, dent or scratch anywhere, period.

Looks like this but w/o the aftermarket pipe on it.

http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/642/22940/00403146305.jpg

MOP
03-15-2005, 12:08 AM
Lenny I am not sure if this was common but my neighbor had one for several years, had a lot of carb problems and blew the starter bendix several times from trying to get it running. Like Walt said it is a rare bird and may gain in value not for its mechanical ability but just the fewness!

Phil

Walt. H.
03-15-2005, 02:20 AM
Think what you want:
AMF was only a decal and corporate money, all parts we're the same before and after the buy back in 1984. If it wasn't for AMF's money back then Harley wouldn't be alive today, No one has a problem with Mercury outboards being AMF since 1963 when they went from being painted white up until 62' then black in AMF 63' and they're still Black. :cool:

Listen to this:
I bought a replacement genuine Harley factory made clutch cable last year, guess where the piece of chit was made? "Taiwan" Yeah and the piece of cheap crap was one third smaller in diameter to. Ugh!! I carry the cheap taiwan Harley sticker in my wallet as a conversation piece. I should have gone with after market Barnett made in USA. :bonk:

The only thing that is really made in USA today is mom's apple pie!!

Showa=front ends- Keihin=carburetors-Hitachi=starter motors:> parts found on Jap bikes? Yes and also on all Harley's old & new, just as Poodle told ya above!

If comfort & stereo CD's is what you want, drive a car. If its becoming one with your machine and supporting your chiropractor ride a macho bike and puhlezzze no wussie windshields either! :rlol: :jestera:

My AMF decals on my 78' FXS are long gone since the first paint job in 81' but as of this April she'll be 27 yr's and has given me reliable service and that a proven track record of always getting me back home, including the time I had to hot wire it when the ign switch went bad and another time a piece brass flashing hung the carburetor float up causing a flooding condition at idle.

Have tools, wire, hoseclamps, tape, tow strap and you'll always make it home! :yes: :jestera:

Walt

Scott Pearson
03-15-2005, 06:01 AM
Not many jap parts on this one...... :biggrin:

Scott
LGDCC

BUIZILLA
03-15-2005, 07:10 AM
Lenny, is the engine all black like the one in your pic? that looks an awful lot like a familiar FXE from the past :wink: anybody remember the first year Night Train ??

JH

Walt. H.
03-15-2005, 09:48 AM
Jim,

I believe it was 1999.

On the Night Train everything on the engine is painted crinkle flat black=> cyl barrels, cyl-heads, rocker box's, block, inner & outer primary chain covers, etc.

On the Sturgis only the eng block, barrel's, cyl-head's, and the inner primary housing is crinkle flat black.
The outer primary chain cover, ign-cover, and the rocker box's are shiny smooth black.

I can tell you more about the older models, Pri-Evo's lets say. I gave up paying attention when they became a "corporate yuppie statist symbols" and the dealer show rooms started looking more like "boutiques" on Rodeo Drive. :rlol:
Remembering back when sex was safe and motorcycles we're dangerous and rich folks rolled their car windows and their nose's up then drove off scared! :jestera:

Scott Pearson; You have my vote, its an All American! And a very intimidating kickass ride too! :checkered

Walt

txtaz
03-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Puhleeeezee.... This AMF crap is just that, crap... The bull@#$& about jap parts, less reliability etc.. Hell, half the parts on your beloved evo's are jap, another quarter are chinese... the rest are American and mexican...

Yikes, I think I made the Poodle Mad.... :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:
Scott, It's just my opinion. I remember seeing my first one and thinking yuck.
Walt your are right, AMF bailed them out but they also added influence to the models after wards. It's that influence I didn't care for. Yeah the sticker comes off but in my opnion, It's still AMF and I don't care for them. Hey it's just me, if others like them that's great.
Scott, Where did the Jap parts thing come in? As long as it's stamped Harley, it goes on the bikes. Hopefully it helps retain value over a modified bike. I even had touble adding an A/C unit to a classic car because it would no longer match the original invoice. Jap, Mexican, Korean, Canadian I don't care. Just make sure there are replacements when I need them.
Wes (VOICING my opinion) :wavey:

BUIZILLA
03-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Walt, i'm thinkin' the first Night Train series was mid-70's.... :cool: I had 3 black El Camino's (LS6-1970, LS3-1972, L69-1976) back then, and that was my CB handle at the time...

JH

GarDog
03-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Yikes, I think I made the Poodle Mad.... :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:
Scott, It's just my opinion. I remember seeing my first one and thinking yuck.
Walt your are right, AMF bailed them out but they also added influence to the models after wards. It's that influence I didn't care for. Yeah the sticker comes off but in my opnion, It's still AMF and I don't care for them. Hey it's just me, if others like them that's great.
Scott, Where did the Jap parts thing come in? As long as it's stamped Harley, it goes on the bikes. Hopefully it helps retain value over a modified bike. I even had touble adding an A/C unit to a classic car because it would no longer match the original invoice. Jap, Mexican, Korean, Canadian I don't care. Just make sure there are replacements when I need them.
Wes (VOICING my opinion) :wavey:

I hate to jump in the thread mid stream but all of the evo are AMF bikes. I know everyone is freaking out now after reading that but AMF designed the EVO motor and styled the softail and the FXR, Two very popular models. The evo hit the streets in about 1984 just after the shareholder buy back. They did not have the resources to design and build a new motor so they used what AMF already had planned. The EVO is a great motor and Harley has built the name they have on that motor. All that being said I have both an Evo and a Shovel. Each has many of its own quirks and personalitys but they are good motors. The Import bikes are also great. Most of them will out preform Harleys with no problem, at a smaller price, and I have had jap bikes that I have loved but they have no personality and are not as fun to tinker with.

On another note I feel like the Donzi "personality" is much like the harley guy "personality" There are faster better handleing boats on the market some at a better price, but I love Donzi's because they each have personalitys and they are not the cookie cutter boats that dot most lakes.

That is my take
Garland Brent

txtaz
03-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Garland, I did not know the design for EVO's came from the AMF era. Thanks for the info.
Very well put about the personalities of both cultures. I agree completly.
Wes (Shutting up about AMF at this point) :boggled: :boggled:

GarDog
03-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Garland, I did not know the design for EVO's came from the AMF era. Thanks for the info.
Very well put about the personalities of both cultures. I agree completly.
Wes (Shutting up about AMF at this point) :boggled: :boggled:

I hope that you did not take that post in a bad way. It was for info only. I am not trying to be a smarty pants!! If I had my way they would reproduce the pan heads and that is all we could have. Da*n the technology!

GB

Lenny
03-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. Good info. :yes:

I am in Vancouver for a few days getting free heroin. :)

I will post a pic when I get back home.

Cuda
03-15-2005, 02:37 PM
On another note I feel like the Donzi "personality" is much like the harley guy "personality" There are faster better handleing boats on the market some at a better price, but I love Donzi's because they each have personalitys and they are not the cookie cutter boats that dot most lakes.

I've said the same thing. There are very few things in the world that I have witnessed with brand loyalty like Donzi's and Harleys. :shades: :cool!:

Cuda
03-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Are you getting it Lenny?

Cuda
03-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Not many jap parts on this one...... :biggrin:

Scott
LGDCC
Scott, I see your oil pressure gauge is about in the same conveinient spot that mine is. As a matter of fact, I just checked all my pictures, and I can't find it. I know it's here somewhere. :hyper:

Cuda
03-15-2005, 03:02 PM
and puhlezzze no wussie windshields either! :rlol: :jestera:

Walt

I'm with you there Walt, I like windshields on bikes about as much as I like bimini's on performance boats.

txtaz
03-15-2005, 03:20 PM
OK, Cruise thru South Texas in the summer and you will be begging for a bimini on a performance boat...uhmmm, I mean a windshield. BTW, dragon fly hurt at 65MPH but aren't bad with a little tabasco.
Wes :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :bonk:

GarDog
03-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Scott, I see your oil pressure gauge is about in the same conveinient spot that mine is. As a matter of fact, I just checked all my pictures, and I can't find it. I know it's here somewhere. :hyper:

Its not bad that you cant find the oil pressure gauge. A evo softy like you have has no oil pressure at start up on a hot day. Usually carries about 7 lbs on a good day.

Cuda
03-15-2005, 04:48 PM
OK, Cruise thru South Texas in the summer and you will be begging for a bimini on a performance boat...uhmmm, I mean a windshield. BTW, dragon fly hurt at 65MPH but aren't bad with a little tabasco.
Wes :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :bonk:
I'm tough, and my skin already resembles an alligator's.:frown: :umbrella:

Scott Pearson
03-15-2005, 05:33 PM
No starter.... Kick only, Morse Mag. Original Harley Tanks. Keep trying........... :smash:

Scott
LGDCC

gcarter
03-15-2005, 06:26 PM
For a short period of time in '61 I had a '58 Sportster CH with a mag. It was always interesting to start. But it was easier than the BSA Goldstar. Well at least the BSA had a compression release. :wrench:

gcarter
03-15-2005, 06:29 PM
It's OK Lenny, we know what heroin looks like... :D :D

Wes, I'm not mad.. Hell, I got your phone numbers, I'd call ya if I was :) :)

Part of the anti-AMF crap passed around over the years related to them using "outsourced" parts.. They did.. So did Harley before them, and the new Harley uses even more today.. Welcome to the new global economy...

BTW, I was looking through my boxes of Mercruiser parts today.. Lots of made in china/taiwan stuff in there... just bloody lovely :( :(
What I remember of the AMF years was they wouldn't stay together on the way out of the dealers door. Never mind about the parts. The parts appeared to be assembled useing chewing gum.

Walt. H.
03-15-2005, 11:59 PM
GarDog,

Thanks for the supporting input. :wavey: :checkered

Poodle,

Only year a Pan head had an electric start was it's last year=> 1965

1966 was the first year for the Shovel =making ponies with those Hemi heads & pistons.

George,

My 78' made it out the dealer's door and after 27 yr's I haven't found any chewing gum holding any parts together either. :rolleyes: :jestera: But there was some RTV silicon sealing the electronic ign sensor. :biggrin:

Wes,

Bugs don't hurt when you keep some facial hair as a buffer :biggrin: and I alway wear a leather jacket, because I rather sweat then bleed! :cool!:

Now with all this said and what we know, if Harley Davidson made airplanes would you fly in them?? :embarasse

W.H