PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Donzi Black Widow

BZONK
03-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, I am new to boating and have been trying to learn all that I can on the internet. I have been drawn to the lines of Donzi boats and have been watching a 1990 24 foot Black Widow. Pricing seems fair based on what I have pulled from NADA. Boat has a 93 OMC 450 CI (370 HP) with 1993 OMC King Cobra Stern Drive. I was told it was a factory recall and engines and drives were replaced in 1993. Anyone familiar with this?? Interior and Hull seem very clean, boat and drives have 350 hrs., what kind of future maintance should I budget for with those hours?? Also a bit shy about the fact it has been for sale for a few months? In reviewing these boards, it dose not seem that many Black Widows have been listed, was this a non-desirable Donzi model as compared to other’s?

Thanks in advance for your feedback?

boldts
03-14-2005, 12:02 PM
BZonk,

First, welcome to the Registry. You might want to place this post in the performance section of the website vs the Boats for sale section. I've seen a few Black Widows, but as far as your question about not seeing many listed for sale, perhaps it is because not that many were built in the first place. The engine should be the 460 Ford model and their should be just one in the 24 footer. The boat was offered in 2 sizes. The 24 and a 30' model. The 30 has the twin engine set-up and most times again the OMC 460 Ford with King Cobras.

Take a look at the Registry members for Bandit. David Hicks has a beautiful 30' Black Widow on Lake Cumberland in KY. He may be able to give you the what to look for in purchasing a Widow. another member who goes by Fishin Sucks owns a 24' Black Widow. Tom West is the owner and again may be able to help answer your questions. Both these boats will be at our gathering AOTH V on Lake Cumberland, KY May 19 thru the 22nd. If you can, join us. I'm sure these owners would have no problem talking or demonstrating their boats to you, but I can't speak for them.

Since so few were built, I believe makes these models more desirable and there are a number of members running boats with the OMC package. Only problem with that engine package that I've seen, is there just aren't as many around for parts vs the Mercruiser packages which are readily available.

BTW, I've never seen this boat, but supposedly, Kyle Petty (son of Richard Petty of NASCAR fame) put his name on a Donzi 30' Black Widow done in Black and Teal I believe. I believe Donzi was also an associate sponsor on his race car for a year. Good luck with your purchase. If you buy the boat, show us some pictures.

BZONK
03-15-2005, 07:01 AM
Boldts-

Thank you for your response, I will take your suggestion and list the questions in the performance section. I will also follow up by looking into the two memberes that you suggested which currently own this modle boat. Thanks again for your response and information.

joel3078
05-20-2005, 03:44 PM
If this is the 24' black widow listed out of Cleveland Ohio through North Shore Boats it has already sold. I bought it and now it's in Minnesota. The seller was the original owner and had all paperwork regarding the 93 engine/outdrive swap. Seller also gave me a ton of extras, manuals, brochures, donzi flag, donzi banner, liscense plate, maintenance items, safety equipment, etc. as I gave him his asking price. This stuff was easily worth a couple grand. They seller is getting out of boating and also selling his house. They are moving south to some place warmer. Maiden voyage for the widow in Minnesota will be soon if it ever stops raining. 20 days of rain in the last 25.

Hope all you guys have fun safe trip at AOTH. Maybe we'll se ya next year. - JE

donzi92
05-22-2005, 10:20 AM
I have a 1992 24 foot black widow for sale. Can I ask what you paid for yours? I have no idea what to ask for it. Thanks, Chad
If this is the 24' black widow listed out of Cleveland Ohio through North Shore Boats it has already sold. I bought it and now it's in Minnesota. The seller was the original owner and had all paperwork regarding the 93 engine/outdrive swap. Seller also gave me a ton of extras, manuals, brochures, donzi flag, donzi banner, liscense plate, maintenance items, safety equipment, etc. as I gave him his asking price. This stuff was easily worth a couple grand. They seller is getting out of boating and also selling his house. They are moving south to some place warmer. Maiden voyage for the widow in Minnesota will be soon if it ever stops raining. 20 days of rain in the last 25.

joel3078
05-22-2005, 10:26 PM
I have a 1992 24 foot black widow for sale. Can I ask what you paid for yours? I have no idea what to ask for it. Thanks, Chad

Hi Chad,

Bought mine for $18.5K This is a boat motor trailer deal and also included a recent survey and a ton of extras as mentioned in my previous post. Look at www.kbb.com and www.nada.com for an idea on price listings. Then also look for other boats for sale. Not many widows out there so if one is fresh water boat in good condition it drives the price up. A 13 year old saltwater boat would probably have electrical and corrosion problems by now unless it has been redone. The boat I bought came from lake eirie - fresh water and one of the great lakes so maintenece and safety was paramount but corrosion is a non factor. Also my boat had the 460 ford and king cobra swapped out by the Donzi factory to a 1993 chev 454 and king cobra. This was done in 1993 and is a very long story that I am not gonna type up here. Also note that the red/white widows seem to be more popular than the teal/white ones also.

Good luck with your sale Chand - JE

boldts
05-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Chad,

Congrats on your buy! Sounds like you got a great boat. Would be great to see some pictures if you have them. Take a momment and join the Midwest Donzi Club and send me a shot of the boat. The club was developed to allow Donzi owners in different states meet other Donzi owners in their state or near by states. There is no yearly dues and I try to attach as many pictures of the owners boat as possible. This way visitors to the site can get an idea of the different Donzi models available. As you already know, we've been holding a gathering on Lake Cumberland in KY. Hope to have the opportunity to meet you there some year. Take care and enjoy your new Donzi.

joel3078
05-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Scott,

Joel here. Chad is the guy trying to sell his - I believe he is in Wisconsin and it's the teal/white version.

First off, thanks to all for the tons of info on this registry board. It definatly helped me with the education and buying decision. Eventually I'll get the hull # entered into the registry and also join in on the MW Donzi club site. Not many Donzis up here in Minnesota and the few that I do see are 16-18 18 classics and z-22 models. The widow is going out tonite for her maiden voyage as it finally quit raining. This is a 1990 red/white model and is bone stock 454 king cobra inside and out. The hull needs a little sun fade cosmetic work but other than that it's in great condition. For the last 15 years this widow has been a show boat and party barge. The owner would run it for a couple of hours and then tie up for the weekend with other friends of his. The engine and outdrive look like a 3 year old boat. Spent it's life on Lake Erie and usually tied up in front of the Rock and Roll hall of fame.

http://www.great-lakes.net/lakes/ref/eriefact.html
http://www.rockhall.com/home/default.asp

It was a great find and the owner did not know about the registry or the MW Donzi club as he is about 60 years old.

Again, thanks all to the info on the internet!

donzi92
05-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Joel, I also have the boat motor and trailer combo for sale. Let me know if you think anyone would be intresed. Thanks Chad
Scott,

Joel here. Chad is the guy trying to sell his - I believe he is in Wisconsin and it's the teal/white version.

First off, thanks to all for the tons of info on this registry board. It definatly helped me with the education and buying decision. Eventually I'll get the hull # entered into the registry and also join in on the MW Donzi club site. Not many Donzis up here in Minnesota and the few that I do see are 16-18 18 classics and z-22 models. The widow is going out tonite for her maiden voyage as it finally quit raining. This is a 1990 red/white model and is bone stock 454 king cobra inside and out. The hull needs a little sun fade cosmetic work but other than that it's in great condition. For the last 15 years this widow has been a show boat and party barge. The owner would run it for a couple of hours and then tie up for the weekend with other friends of his. The engine and outdrive look like a 3 year old boat. Spent it's life on Lake Erie and usually tied up in front of the Rock and Roll hall of fame.

http://www.great-lakes.net/lakes/ref/eriefact.html
http://www.rockhall.com/home/default.asp

It was a great find and the owner did not know about the registry or the MW Donzi club as he is about 60 years old.

Again, thanks all to the info on the internet!

FISHIN SUCKS
06-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Congrats, Joel!

I am not sure if we emailed each other or if it was someone else. If it was you, hope I didn't steer you wrong. Take a look at the 'Photo Galleries' tab at the top of this site, scroll to the AOTH 2005 section and you'll see ours gettin' a little air plus a few other shots of her. Hope your maiden voyage went well!

Chad, I'm still trying to find a home for yours. There's this guy on our lake that has a 16' w/a 6 banger. He's a big Donzi fan and likes the rumble of our Big Block. I'll let ya know!

Scott, sorry we missed you at AOTH V. Hope things are improving!

tom

FISHIN SUCKS
06-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Almost forgot (actually, I forgot), I found some killer stuff to get that 'milk' out of the red. I'd tell you the name, but I am in Reno right now and don't have the labels in front of me. I'm flying back home on Friday, I'll let you know if you like.

BZONK
06-18-2005, 11:37 PM
Joel, I also have the boat motor and trailer combo for sale. Let me know if you think anyone would be intresed. Thanks Chad

Chad, I emailed youearlier this week and had not heard back, still for sale?? How can I contact you?

Thanks,
Brian

joel3078
06-19-2005, 10:00 AM
TOM
Got your email and was LMAO. I love the fishing story and have been on both sides of the fishing fence. Used to have water skiers terrorize me in a pontoon boat while I was fishing. Now with a black widow, I am the terrorist. Man can that thing rip smooth water all to hell. :yes:

CHAD
Did you ever contact that yacht broker info I emailed ya - again assuming your widow is still for sale.

ALL
I'll post pics of the red/white widow I bought this spring after it goes thru cleanup on the milky red gelcoat. Boat runs great and the Corsa exhaust switch is my favorite option so far. As this is the only switch on the dash board that was not labeled it now has a simple label - STFU (shut the F up) for when it's in the quiet position.

joel3078
06-19-2005, 10:12 AM
This one has been for sale for a while and has about 5 hours left on the auction as of this posting. Also teal and green. Ebay item # 4556182128

bosshoss
02-22-2006, 06:43 PM
I have a 24' Black Widow, and have recently purchased a Land-and-sea Torque Shift prop. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this prop. I love the performance of the Donzi, just trying to get a better hole-shot.

HallJ
02-23-2006, 11:40 AM

Hi Joel

Glad to here of your recent aqusition. What part of minnesota do you live?
Maybe I'll see you this summer!
I usually boat on lake Minnetonka or as I like to call it Morontonka.
I've got a Grey Minx
Hopefully I'll see you this summer!

Jeff

TuxedoPk
02-23-2006, 01:38 PM
I usually boat on lake Minnetonka or as I like to call it Morontonka.

Jeff- I spend two years living on Tonka in Wayzata in the 90s before I got into boating. What town are you in?

Rich

HallJ
02-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Hi Rich

I'm in Chanhassen.

I grew up in Eden Prairie.

Our family had a boat on Tonka for quite a few years.
Then we moved it to the Miss.
Now I'm on tonka most of the time.

Jeff