PDA

View Full Version : Flexplate or Flywheel?

springs
03-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Does anyone see any reason why I could'nt use a flexplate (460 KC) instead of the 95lb 3/4" thick OEM flywheel?

MOP
03-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Yes the heavy flywheel helps to keep the engine from stalling when you put it in gear, plus in a marine application there is little or no advantage to a light flywheel.

Phil

springs
03-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Thanks Phil.

Just seemed a quick and easy way to lighten' up.

MOP
03-13-2005, 03:50 PM
I am a bit worried about the weight of my flywheel, for my experiment/project I am going to try to use a Blackhawk drive. Due to me hooking a SB up to it I may have stalling a problem, I know Dave did when he ran this drive. I have gone to a big coupler and still may need a heavier then stock flywheel, just another of the unknowns in my path.

Phil

springs
03-13-2005, 04:07 PM
You're going to use the flywheel that came with the OMC package? If it's as big as the 460 KC flywheel I can't imagine one being more "heavy duty". You damn near need to grown men to pick mine up.

MOP
03-13-2005, 04:50 PM
I have a new stock Chevy flywheel but am thinking of going to a truck flywheel, I was told there is a fairly heavy one. Have not checked it out yet, am thinking of doing it now. The truck flywheel being a good 1/2" thicker may cause a spline problem. May have to machine the coupler a tad, it is for a 502 so it should have enough meat for my mouse motor.

Phil