PDA

View Full Version : Changing direction of Volvo 280

raritan
03-12-2005, 09:04 PM
What is the procedure to change the direction of rotation from left to right turn. Any negative ramifications except torque turn of boat?

MOP
03-13-2005, 03:02 AM
Pretty easy, remove back cover you will see the shift assy with a vertical link connecting the shifter to the rocker that the cable connects to, move the link from one side to the other. On our light boats it is hard to do any damage, on heavy boats if driven in the opposite direction the vertical shaft keepers take all the force instead of the lower bearing. The vertical shaft can be driven up through the top cap, but this usually only happens when shifting under heavy loads. I seroiusly doubt you will have any problem.

Phil

Lenny
03-14-2005, 10:50 AM
I have done this three times now, no problems and I am Running it hard. Two little cotter pins and it is undone.

All you need is a pair of needlenose pliers, and a straight screwdriver.

:)

David O
03-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Pretty easy, remove back cover you will see the shift assy with a vertical link connecting the shifter to the rocker that the cable connects to, move the link from one side to the other. On our light boats it is hard to do any damage, on heavy boats if driven in the opposite direction the vertical shaft keepers take all the force instead of the lower bearing. The vertical shaft can be driven up through the top cap, but this usually only happens when shifting under heavy loads. I seroiusly doubt you will have any problem.

Phil
Phil
You state "if driven in the opposite direction the vertical shaft keepers take all the force instead of the lower bearing".
So what is the opposite direction, right hand or left hand?
My boat is turning left hand and Gene's is turning right hand, is one of us going to have a keeper problem?
David

Lenny
03-14-2005, 02:42 PM
David, I had "heard" that Volvos' weren't set up that way. They don't care which way they are spinning. ???

David O
03-14-2005, 03:46 PM
David, I had "heard" that Volvos' weren't set up that way. They don't care which way they are spinning. ???

I agree Lenny, that is what I have always heard but Phil's comment says otherwise so now I wonder.
I hope if he is correct that you and I are running in the right direction (LH) and it's the right handers that better look out for their "vertical shaft keeper".

Toona, be careful with your comments on that comment.
David

mattyboy
03-14-2005, 03:52 PM
I have a drive that spun rh (opposite)all it's life some 25yrs now it's my spare drive and I've been spinning it lh no problem I wouldn't worry about it all in either direction they were made to spin either way I be more worried about hitting a floater or something than worrying about which way the drive spins

David O
03-14-2005, 04:09 PM
I be more worried about hitting a floater or something than worrying about which way the drive spins

Matty
Don't have many floaters to worry about but we do have lots of underwater debris, refrigerators, stoves, washers/dryers, patio furniture, household furniture, windows, houses, docks pilings and all kinds of construction debris. If it was on Santa Rosa Island it is now in Santa Rosa Sound and Pensacola Bay. Will be staying in deep water this summer with the boat.
Seems the waterways are going to be the last thing cleaned up, if ever.
David

mattyboy
03-14-2005, 04:24 PM
I think those would fall under the category of something :eek:

You might need to adjust the shift cable after switching but that is an easy task done right on the end of the cable after you move the linkage

penbroke
03-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Whichever rotation uses the lower clutch cone in the drive will be the stronger one. This would be left hand prop rotation on a Ford/Volvo setup. If you were to change engine rotation then it would be the opposite.

The gears in the upper housing are always trying to force themselves apart. When the upper cone is engaged the gears tend to push up against the top cap. When the lower cone is engaged the gears tend to push down against the rest of the drive which is much stronger than the top cap.

Frank

MOP
03-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Thanks Frank they can go back and forth all they want, I serviced Volvo's for about 40 years. True I only saw three shafts driven through the top all were single apps, two were commercial boys and the other one was a worked Ford in a 23 foot Formula all spinning Righties. The point is none of us are having to launch anything very heavy and are not constantly shifting in and out, both commercial boats blew the caps while shifting not sure about the play boat.

Phil

David O
03-15-2005, 04:13 AM
Whichever rotation uses the lower clutch cone in the drive will be the stronger one. This would be left hand prop rotation on a Ford/Volvo setup. If you were to change engine rotation then it would be the opposite.

The gears in the upper housing are always trying to force themselves apart. When the upper cone is engaged the gears tend to push up against the top cap. When the lower cone is engaged the gears tend to push down against the rest of the drive which is much stronger than the top cap.

Frank
Thanks Frank, perfect explanation.
Now for my next possible dumb question, does a Ford and Chevy turn in the same direction when facing the motor, clockwise?
trying my best to learn about this stuff
David

penbroke
03-15-2005, 06:59 PM
...does a Ford and Chevy turn in the same direction when facing the motor, clockwise?...

Not sure but I think so. (The old SS Nova has been gone quite a while now.)

When I was looking for a starter for my SBF I was suprised to find that reverse rotation marine starters were easy to get. Took me a bit of research to figure out which was standard. (counter-clockwise as viewed from the stern for Ford) Makes me think that reverse rotation motors may be fairly common??

Frank

MOP
03-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Yup! They use standard automotive rotation on single engine installs, it is quite a bit cheaper than reversing one. There is about an $800 dollar difference between the two, standard Ford and Chevy spin the same direction.

Phil