PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS selection

onesubdrvr
03-11-2005, 07:51 AM
OK, here we go again,

I've been wanting to get a GPS - nothing fancy, infact, the one's I'm looking at are the lower end hand-helds.

Lowrance has a "new" one out (the iFINDER GO and GO2), that are incredibly priced, does any one know anything about these (couldn't find reviews on the web, maybe too new). My main purpose is for speed, and the "bread crumb" features, any suggestions on other units in this category?

Thanks
Wayne

mattyboy
03-11-2005, 08:49 AM
speed and regazza there's 2 words that don't often collide in a sentence!!! :rolleyes: :tongue:

Rootsy
03-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Garmin E-Trex... bout $119.... no mapping capability

ChromeGorilla
03-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Garmin Etrex Legend C. Do a search of this model, I think you'll like it. It'll have everything you need. Tons of features and it's color too. I bought US recreational lakes and rivers east software which has thousands of lakes/rivers charted with depths and markers. Uploads to the handheld very easy from the PC. I can plot a trip on my PC and then transfer it to my etrex legend c and it works awesome. I need to buy the Blue Water chart from mid GA down to the carribean next for the ICW and the keys :)

Fish boy
03-11-2005, 10:36 AM
questions you have to ask yourself is what exactly do you intend to use it for.

if mapping is not a big deal, that changes price dramatically. If you just want speed, you might want to make sure it has max speed recall. Lots will tell you the speed you are going, but it is really nice to be able to look down after your run and see what was the max speed after all is said and done.

Be sure you are not going to want to upgrade in a little while to some more advanced features like mapping. I quickly found out i wanted more from my gps. I now use it in my car, and take it from boat to boat depending on what I am doing. If you are going to go towards mapping, more MB of memory is better than less since you can quickly run out of waypoints in the memory.

WAAS enabled will give you more accuracy.

Waterproof is a plus too.

Last thing to look at is battery life.

Here is the one (second one) I got, Garmin 60C (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34289&item=5757247994&rd=1)
I chose this one for a couple of reasons: 30-36 hr battery life (most will be around 6hrs), 56mb of memory (most are less than 10), WAAS enabled, waterproof, comes preloaded with maps of all major roads in the US (more detail to street level requires upgraded software-cityselect, and shows wterways( detailed waterways including depth, obstrutions, markers...etc requires upgraded software-blue chart), and of course max speed recall.

Pretty cool with the software, it will tell me turn by turn how to get to an address, how many miles/minutes to the next turn, how long the whole trip was (or is left on the trip)...yada, yada, tons of stuff! SInce I am in my car more than my boat, it has worked out really well to be able to use it for both, and I love the maps.

just my $.02,

fish

RedDog
03-11-2005, 10:44 AM
my Garmin eTrex Legend reads slow :biggrin:

Rootsy
03-11-2005, 11:20 AM
my Garmin eTrex Legend reads slow :biggrin:

WHAT? you mean my little blue Garmin is being conservative for my poor little 16???? :eek:

Tidbart
03-11-2005, 01:02 PM
I have a magellan handheld that my meet your requirements. It is a basic unit that will give you the features you need.
Email me if you are interested and I'll give you the details. Works great.
$75 +shipping.
I don't have it in front of me, so I can't give you the model number right now.
I have 2 and this one is not being used.
Bob

I can bring it Mt Dora for you to try, if you like.

onesubdrvr
03-11-2005, 01:50 PM
speed and regazza there's 2 words that don't often collide in a sentence!!! :rolleyes: :tongue:

I'll get you my pretty,......ahh haa haa haa haa!!!!:)

onesubdrvr
03-11-2005, 01:51 PM
I have a magellan handheld that my meet your requirements. It is a basic unit that will give you the features you need.
Email me if you are interested and I'll give you the details. Works great.
$75 +shipping.
I don't have it in front of me, so I can't give you the model number right now.
I have 2 and this one is not being used.
Bob

I can bring it Mt Dora for you to try, if you like.

That would be great, infact, now I will waint until Dora to make a decision on one,

Thanks for all the input fella's

Wayne

RedDog
03-11-2005, 03:03 PM
WHAT? you mean my little blue Garmin is being conservative for my poor little 16???? :eek:

It's either that or someone's Magellan reads fast. In the same boat at the same time and 2 different top speeds by a couple of MPH

ChromeGorilla
03-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Nothing is exact. Here's what we do. At Dora we take everyones handheld, put them in someones boat, take it for a run come back and compare handhelds. My guess would be if you average all your readings you'd be real close to your actual speed.

Fish boy
03-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Nothing is exact. Here's what we do. At Dora we take everyones handheld, put them in someones boat, take it for a run come back and compare handhelds. My guess would be if you average all your readings you'd be real close to your actual speed.

I got a better idea, put them all in one boat and do a run. WHichever one reads the highest will be the one everyone will take turns using to set their new max speed! :D

DONZI
03-11-2005, 07:07 PM
I just bought the Garmin 76C from here.
http://www.consumersmarine.com/products2/productlist.cfm?c=11&p=3&m=5&v=0&sb=0e.