PDA

View Full Version : Deck Stripe

Cuda
03-10-2005, 09:10 PM
The place where I'm having the Minx worked on also paints. I asked him about redoing my deck stripe. He quoted me around $600 to $650 to shoot it with Awlgrip. Sounds kind of steep to me. I may try my hand at it first. Opinions?

gcarter
03-10-2005, 10:29 PM
You can do it!

:wavey:

Cuda
03-11-2005, 06:50 AM
Well, if he has the mechanical done and not the paint. I'll bring it home and try it myself. Worst case scenario is I have to pay to have it painted then. :rlol:

Fish boy
03-11-2005, 07:15 AM
Hey Joe, I know I am on the other side of the state, but there is a guy here that does really good work, and I do not think that he woud be as expensive if you prepped it yourself.

Like George said though, "you can do it", and worst case scenario is you end up getting someone else to paint afterwards.

fish

Cuda
03-11-2005, 07:24 AM
I just had the gel fixed, shouldn't be much prep at all. One little spot where the ski ring hit the hatch. I don't know why the other guy didn't fix that when he did the rest.

Cuda
03-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Fish, the boat is already on your side of the state.

gcarter
03-11-2005, 08:01 AM
I just had the gel fixed, shouldn't be much prep at all. One little spot where the ski ring hit the hatch. I don't know why the other guy didn't fix that when he did the rest.
I think I'm familiar with that problem as mine had a hole 2" X 6" THROUGH the hatch. :banghead:

smokediver
03-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Cuda ...For what it's worth ... Awl-grip is a really good paint but ... It is so hard for the average joe to repair . If it were me and I was going to use paint .. I would go with a different system .. PPG Concept is so much easier to use and imho just as durable . If it is just the deck stripe I think a good base / clear is the way to go ... If you sand out the surounding white gell area with 1000 then 1200 you should be able to "melt" the clear right into the gel and have a smooth transition over the stripe .

Cuda
03-11-2005, 12:49 PM
George, what did you paint your stripe with?

gcarter
03-11-2005, 02:51 PM
PPG & R-M are both owned by BASF. And many of their products are similar. The local auto paint R-M, Diamont dealer is down the street from my office. So I used R-M UNO H-D color matched. This is a two part, one step system designed for high end european cars. It is incredibly hard and durable. It also gives very good results right out of the gun, although I color sanded and polished it.

gcarter
03-12-2005, 06:36 PM
I took the Minx out of the warehouse today to wash it to prep for some paint touch-up.
Here is a picture of my stripe.