PDA

View Full Version : Plug wire nick

txtaz
03-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Just checking with everyone to see if my suspicions are correct. Last year when I first got the boat, I hit 65 with no problems and throttle left. After having some work done on the boat, I could not get above 4500 RPM's at 62MPH (GPS). I finally got around to putting the new plug wires in and found the number 8 wire nicked. The nick was 90 degrees from the block and I'm sure I lost some spark because it was close to the plug end. Is this enough to cause a loss of 400 rpm's?
Thanks,
Wes (can't wait to get on the water)

MOP
03-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Wes it is possible in our moist sport, can not beat top shelf wires hope that does the trick!

Phil

gcarter
03-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Wes, it's for sure you'll know the first time you try it. :rlol:

txtaz
03-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Well we had a great first day of the season Saturday. Got our first sunburn. Ouch
Turns out that little nick on the plug wire caused a lot of performance problems. We put in and warmed up the engine, cruised to the middle of the lake and then nailed it. HOLLY CRAP BATMAN, This thing hauls butt now. After getting on plane, it hit 60 in no time. It topped out at 70 on speedo which is 2-3 MPH high. That's a 5MPH gain. We were full of fuel and two people so I'm sure I could hit a true 70 with a light load. Maybe it's because it's the first run of the year or the extra 5MPH, but it made me a littlle nervous. So I backed off, putted around, Jenn got a FULL tan (hey we're newlyweds and I forgot the camera), went to lunch at our favorite dive on the lake and had an overall great day.
OK, Is it Friday yet? Can't wait to get back out.
Wes :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

hardcrab
04-12-2005, 08:03 PM
i read somewhere that plug wires check good at 8000 ohms per foot

[if that helps]