PDA

View Full Version : 18 classic wiring question

slownsx
03-06-2005, 03:27 PM
I found my electrical problem today, on the back of the motor there is a plug with I think 7 prongs similar to trailer wiring harness. On the male end of the harness plug the black wire, the ground I suppose is loose in the rubber part of the plug. When I hold pressure to the wire into the back of the plug motor will start and run like brand new, but when released it runs until wire doesnt hold any more. Can I buy a new plug, or can this one be repaired any ideas?

boatnut
03-06-2005, 07:22 PM
I found my electrical problem today, on the back of the motor there is a plug with I think 7 prongs similar to trailer wiring harness. On the male end of the harness plug the black wire, the ground I suppose is loose in the rubber part of the plug. When I hold pressure to the wire into the back of the plug motor will start and run like brand new, but when released it runs until wire doesnt hold any more. Can I buy a new plug, or can this one be repaired any ideas?

Not sure what motor/mfg you are talking about, but in general these plugs are to make installation easier -- motor to instruments etc. An easy fix is to eliminate the connector, use good marine butt connectors that are sealed for moisture and hard wire connect all the wires that are now connected via the plug that is failing. You should then be good to go! Good luck, Ed

pmreed
03-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Ahhh yes...the old Cannon connector problem. Had a similar problem myself a couple of years back. I took the one wire that was intermittent, split it out, and installed a separate pin and plug on it. Problem gone.

Phil

ps: Hey SLOWNSX ( is there a slow NSX?), just noticed you're in Lakeland. Hope you're coming up to Mt. Dora in a couple of weeks.

P

Donzigo
03-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I directed all of my wires to buss connector bars.

Heat shrinking works to keep moistrue out.

Electrical problems virtually eleminated.

vanstee
03-06-2005, 09:35 PM
had that happen with my trim. bypass is the best way.

slownsx
03-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Sounds like a good idea I might just bypass the one wire if I can make certain that one is the problem. It looked like the only problem with doing that was having to cut wires to get the motor out. I am in no hurry to pull motor on this one just yet. It took forever to narrow down this problem I hate electrical troubleshooting and repair etc.

slownsx
03-07-2005, 02:17 PM
When exactly is the Mt. Dora show and what can I expect to see? I am only a few hours at the most away.

pmreed
03-07-2005, 02:39 PM
SLOW, go here:
Donzi gettogether at Mt. Dora (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38026)

Also, click on the link in Poodle's introductory post to get a feel for the event outside the Seadog crew. That's Southeast Area Donzi Owner's Group . PS: the Seadogs have no organization, no dues and one rule....show up for fun :yes:

And Lakeland's just about 2 hours from Mt. Dora

Phil