PDA

View Full Version : timeline and question

vanstee
03-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Started getting my Ragazza ready for the year and the first thing is to take it back to the shop. Guess I'll pose the question first. What do I do??? Here's what I've done to the boat. 3.0L OMC Cobra (no laughing)

2 years ago. Had lower unit redone.

last year. Was running fine until magnet in lower unit came unglued from plug. Tore up lower unit gears. running 13-15 prop

Took to mechanic. He replaced with lower unit from a V6 or V8. Took it out on the water and the clutch was shot.

Took back to mechanic. Rebuilt new outdrive. now getting 3000 rpm and 20 mph. running same pitch prop (13.5-15). Prop had to be changed due to spindle is different size. This is where I'm currently at. Any suggestions besides sink it? I'm willing to try a different boat doctor but don't know any good ones in north central ohio.

ps. was going to repower it with V8 but wife decided a new kitchen was in order.

Greg
03-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Check the gear ratio in the lower unit. Sounds like it may have gotten changed with the new unit.

vanstee
03-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Is there a way I can do that myself? Also, I thought the gear ratio was set in the upper unit of the outdrive?

RedDog
03-06-2005, 08:09 PM
... was going to repower it with V8 but wife decided a new kitchen was in order.

sorry but you got it backwards. I bought my first Donzi and THEN the wife got the new kitchen...

vanstee
03-08-2005, 10:06 PM
sorry but you got it backwards. I bought my first Donzi and THEN the wife got the new kitchen...
wife bought the donzi and the kitchen.... I've just gotta work on the blasted things...