PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Altitude Record Holder?

DonCig
03-05-2005, 09:03 AM
I know that Geoo is currently the registry speed record holder, but do we have a certified Altitude Record Holder?

I will start off with my personel best of 9,000 feet, do we have any contestents?

DonCig
http://www.colorado.com/images/cms/1106598485.3028_lowres_lg.jpg
http://www.summitcolorado.com/dillon/lake-dillon-reservoir.php

I have to run with the silent choice closed, it seems the sailing crowd does not like the sound of my SBC.

RedDog
03-05-2005, 09:21 AM
I suspect that is a record not to be broken without real effort.

Last Tango
03-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Okay, I'm thinking the boating season there is short - about a week. They don't hold waterskiing championships there, either. Advertising for the marina probably says "The coolest place to boat!"
I hope it is a big enough lake to make it fun. Isn't there a lake on Pikes Peak? I think I remember seeing one when I drove up to the top. No fancy marina, but maybe just enough ramp and water to set an even higher altitude record.

I have sailed on Lake St. Moritz in the Alps. A whole bunch higher up. But no power boats there. They don't prohibit power boats. Just not enough oxygen to run them. And gas is about $11.00 a gallon there.

Air 22
03-05-2005, 05:27 PM
No motor boats allowed up Pikes Peak... :rolleyes: I lived/flew there for eight years but those liitle reseviors are awful sweet. Breckenridge Colorado has Lake Dillon which is 9000ft or real close to it. Has a marina and all :D Steamboat Lake is also up there 7000-8000 ft or so. :D ;)

DonCig
03-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Mark, Please take this email as a fun poke at your response to my first email. I do not mean to hurt your feelings. I just could not resist the opportunity to have some fun at your first response.

I thank you for your comments on our short boating season here in Colorado. Today it is 62 degrees farenheit and the Denver resevoirs are totally ice free with boats running around blowing out the cobwebs.
Second, not to give you a hard time but lake St. Moritz stands at a total of 5,823 feet in altitute (1,775m). as a matter of fact, the highest ski peak at St. Moritz is at 10,029 feet. Georgetown lake here in Colorado stands at 11,950' in altitute. Possibly the highest lake that I know of that I could put my Donzi into. I boat all summer on Chatfield resevoir here in Denver at 5,446 feet in the company of Cobalts, Fountains, Saengers and the occasional 44' SeaRay making big wakes for me to jump in my 1997 Classic 18. Amazingly, they are all powered by V-8 internal combustion engines. Funny, but we have enough oxygen to get speeding tickets. We do loose 25% of our HP at this altitide, but we just build bigger engines to compensate.

If you want to break my Donzi record, there are some opportunities listed in the link below. Are you ready to take me on?

With kind regards,

DonCig

http://www.rmdc.com/local_diving.htm

Air 22
03-05-2005, 05:48 PM
DONCIG

I forgot about Geogetown lake...its really a big Pond along I-70... :) but it would be the world record....question is....how fast can u go in circles... :smash: :) :rolleyes:

DonCig
03-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Air22, I wonder if Georgetown really is the highest lake in North America that a Donzi could be put up on plane in? I think we should set a minimum acre limit and that there has to be asphalt to within 2 miles of the ramp.

Your thoughts?

DonCig

gcarter
03-05-2005, 06:56 PM
I've been boating in Lake Titicaca on the Bolivia, Peru border, but not in a Donzi. This is the highest navigable waterway in the world at something over 14,000 ft. It's a huge lake and also very deep.
It's also very close to the highest commercial airport at La Paz, Bolivia also at something over 14,000. I remember taking off from there in a 727. The take off took 55 seconds!!!!! :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

Air 22
03-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Air22, I wonder if Georgetown really is the highest lake in North America that a Donzi could be put up on plane in? I think we should set a minimum acre limit and that there has to be asphalt to within 2 miles of the ramp.

Your thoughts?

DonCig

I'm w/ you... :wink: Wonder how high Crystal Lake is over in Leadville. That's up there too. Also, over near Red Table VOR near Aspen are a few small reservoirs :banghead: :boat:

DonCig
03-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Air 22, Crystal Lake sits at 11,520' and Chasm Lake sits at 11,760'. But do they have boat ramps?

DonCig

http://www.thespiritoftherockies.net/spirit/HikingRMNP.html

MrsDigger
03-05-2005, 07:40 PM
These are definitely not waters you want to jump into for that little tinkle...

Lenny
03-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Darcy, I tried that in Lake Tahoe.

Let's just say I would not have been in the running as a "Fruit of the Loom" poster boy :eek:

Clear and gorgeous, but MAN :eek: :eek: was it cold. And I come from the Pacific NW with 43 degree water.

MrsDigger
03-05-2005, 10:59 PM
I grew up in the PNW, so I know what you mean--we used to pack into the Eagle Caps for 2 weeks every September, and let me just say that bathing in the Imnaha River or Mirror Lake (all water is spring or glacier fed) is a shock to the system. Bathing, one learns, is overrated...

mattyboy
03-06-2005, 06:55 AM
I took a leak in lk tahoe once
yeah the water is cold and DEEP TOO!!!! ;)

excuse me while I whip this out ...... Blazing saddles sorry wrong thread :rlol:

Bob
03-06-2005, 09:46 AM
And the bottom is rocky too!

mattyboy
03-06-2005, 09:07 PM
if you knew sandy like i knew sandy

DonCig
03-06-2005, 09:24 PM
I am surprised. I would expect that at least one Donzi owner would live in Nepal and lay claim to this title. And what about our brothers to the great Frozen North, the Great White Country we call Canada, do they not have altitudes worthy of chasing this title?
Are we all a bunch of sea level, jellyfish loving lowlanders?

DonCig

Air 22
03-06-2005, 09:46 PM
I am surprised. I would expect that at least one Donzi owner would live in Nepal and lay claim to this title. And what about our brothers to the great Frozen North, the Great White Country we call Canada, do they not have altitudes worthy of chasing this title?
Are we all a bunch of sea level, jellyfish loving lowlanders?

DonCig

I think their lakes are frozen 24/7 :rolleyes: :biggrin: :biggrin: :smash:

gcarter
03-07-2005, 11:05 PM
I hadn't thought of this in years, but in 1982-3, I spent nearly four months in Bolivia helping out a ministry. While there I had the pleasure of traveling around quite a bit. In the world of third world countries, Bolivia is a third world country! You can't imagine how poor it is.
Lake Titicaca is on the border of Peru and Bolivia. It's about 100 miles North to South, and several miles wide. I think it's 2K-3K ft. deep. I scanned some slides I took. It is the bluest water I've ever seen, probably has to do with the extreme conditions of over 14,000' altitude at the surface. Some of the mountains in the background are over 23,000' high. Right after I left, an Eastern flight flew right into one. Killed everyone. I went boating on the lake. We rented a couple of boats, one was a large dugout canoe, the other was similar to the one you see here, but water tight. Both were outboard powered.
This was one of those "never forget" experiences. I saw coca plantations in the Andean foothills. Drug Lord compounds. Huge herds of Llama. Cholas in derby hats. Oh yeah, only 350 miles of paved roads in a country the size of Texas and California combined.

Donzigo
03-08-2005, 02:00 AM
I knew there was something strange about you, George. Revealed here for the first time. Too much time at altitude kills brain cells. You didn't warm up to and smooch one of those Llamas while you were there, did you?

MOP
03-08-2005, 07:28 PM
DonCig I sailed up on Dillon back about 10 years ago while visiting my second oldest, he was the Miller beer rep up that way and lived in Eagle Vail. He showed me one of the best times I have had in my entire life, every bar and half the resturants we did free. Stayed drunk and my skinny ass gained 10 pounds, was looking forward to going back again but like all kids he dumped the job. Now he is a big wig with Smith Varney and winning and losing for me!