PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Ford F-250

donzi182003
03-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone on the board has purchased a 2005 F-250 and what their experience with them has been. 2 days ago me and my father picked up a 2005 F-250 crew cab diesel, lariat, with the brake controller, power sliding rear window (awesome feature by the way) wood dash, cab lights, and of course 4 wheel drive with fx4 package. We traded in a 2000 truck that was a twin of this one , down to the black and beige exterior. That had the 7.3 and it was reliable as all hell. I hear Ford worked out the bugs with the 6.0 but I was wondering to what extent that was true. Any input would be greatly appreciated. They did change the front suspension from leafs to coils and the ride and turning radius improved dramatically. Dam thing turns on a dime!

Ed

Mac
03-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone on the board has purchased a 2005 F-250 and what their experience with them has been. 2 days ago me and my father picked up a 2005 F-250 crew cab diesel, lariat, with the brake controller, power sliding rear window (awesome feature by the way) wood dash, cab lights, and of course 4 wheel drive with fx4 package. We traded in a 2000 truck that was a twin of this one , down to the black and beige exterior. That had the 7.3 and it was reliable as all hell. I hear Ford worked out the bugs with the 6.0 but I was wondering to what extent that was true. Any input would be greatly appreciated. They did change the front suspension from leafs to coils and the ride and turning radius improved dramatically. Dam thing turns on a dime!

Ed

Read up on the dieselstop in the 6L forum, still a lot of people talking about engine problems transmissions self destructing and buybacks, sure a lot more than Dodge or GM http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=2003Drivetrain1

boxy
03-06-2005, 06:54 AM
Ed, my Brother-in-law has been running a 2004 F-250 6.0L for the last two winters, towing a four place snowmobile trailer all over Ontario, and Northern Quebec. He has had ZERO problems with his truck.
I ran a 7.3 L for about 85000 Km's in 2003/2004, and at 20,000 Km's it left me stranded on the East Coast of Canada, when the top end went BOOM late one night, it took Ford 10 days to fix it.
As far as the Ford forums read them with a grain of salt, like here, the guys with the problems usually make the most noise. There has been lots of discussion here about the 6.0 l's, do a search, or get a hold of MadPoodle, he has some solid real life experience with the 6.0 L's in your part of the country.

harbormaster
03-06-2005, 09:23 AM
I believe Madpoodle uses these trucks

Mac
03-06-2005, 01:08 PM
What is it about the Fords, people will have one, have problems, not be able to get them fixed, go through hell with the dealer, go through arbitration and then buy another one? I don't get it. There are guys on dieselstop that have had two buybacks, and then get a third, why not switch brands? or at least not buy another 6L? it has to be the worst engine ever put in a pickup truck in the last 15 years. Sure there a lot more people who have them and do not have problems but there are a lot having problems, statistically way more than GM or Dodge.

Mac
03-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Oh, and Dodge is totally out of the question...

Keep in mind, these are work trucks, not toys. I haul construction machinery day in and day out. Yes, my 6.0 has had an idle issue. It has not stranded me anywhere.. It uses NO oil. It gets reasonable fuel economy considering it's job and it's driver. It goes like stink. It pulls 14,000 lbs down the road with the AC and cruise control on @ 75 MPH all day long without missing a beat. It eats duramax's for lunch at the stop light rodeo's... It just doesnt idle properly, something it does .010% of the time....

I will order an 05 if they don't fix it... Identical truck, except I will add the brake command system....

I didn't buy my 1 ton truck to drag race, so I have never understood where that really matters stoplight to stoplight, I care more about what happens when I'm facing a 6% grade for the next 5 miles with 12k lbs in tow.
You can rag on the Duramax all you want the facts speak for themselves, if the Duramax and the Allison had had a first couple of years like the 6L and the Torqshift they would not be selling too many.
I just don't understand the brand loyalty. I have had problem cars and trucks, the last thing I wanted to do when I got rid of it was get the same vehicle again.

Mac
03-07-2005, 06:49 AM
Yeah, we agree on that. :beer:

donzi182003
03-07-2005, 12:51 PM
GO to the boat ramp....... Look around..... There is 1 chevy for every 5 Fords...... NUFF SAID!

P.S. love the DURACRAP thats priceless

HAVE A LOOK AT THE GOODS:p

LOOK CLOSELY AT THE DURAMAX HIDING IN THE FAR RIGHT CORNER.. ITS SCAAAAARRRREED!!!!!!!!!!!!! (BROTHER IN LAWS TRUCK)

Mac
03-07-2005, 02:32 PM
GO to the boat ramp....... Look around..... There is 1 chevy for every 5 Fords...... NUFF SAID!

P.S. love the DURACRAP thats priceless

HAVE A LOOK AT THE GOODS:p

LOOK CLOSELY AT THE DURAMAX HIDING IN THE FAR RIGHT CORNER.. ITS SCAAAAARRRREED!!!!!!!!!!!!! (BROTHER IN LAWS TRUCK)

If you already know your truck is the best why did you post the question in the first place?
It's pretty funny to hear someone with a 6L making fun of any other truck engine, especially the Duramax.

BUIZILLA
03-07-2005, 02:44 PM
GO to the boat ramp....... Look around..... There is 1 chevy for every 5 Fords...... NUFF SAID! Unless you want to lose a LOT of pocket change, I wouldn't put a bet on that, not down here anyways...

JH

donzi182003
03-07-2005, 03:37 PM
MAC,
I asked the question because I have no experience with the 6.0. I wouldnt be caught dead in a Chevy but thats personal taste. We are a Ford family this is my fathers truck. Ford makes the best truck in my opinion but everyone is entitled to their own. It never hurts to hear other peoples voices on a product that you just bought in order to familiarize yorself further with that product. If you read my original post i didnt say anything bad about Chevy's. Got nothin against em. I have a GM in the Donzi:p
Buizilla- if my memory serves me right i always see alot more fords at matheson than i do Chevys. Guess it depends on the day

My 1988 5.0 Ford ..had it since it was new. Original Motor, trans, and it runs like the 1st day and its doing what it does best. TOWING

Mac
03-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Fair enough, did you check out the link I posted? Most of them are good trucks a few have problems, the info at dieselstop might help you identify problems, if you have any.

BUIZILLA
03-07-2005, 08:21 PM
The LLY/Allison Duramax is a fantasticly engineered engine package. I can't say enough good about it. The GM frame is another issue altogether though.. :eek: :smash: . I have both an F350 PS and a GMC gas crew cab I personally drive right now. Each has it's own merits and personalities.

JH

Magicallbill
03-08-2005, 02:14 AM
I have a '98 Chev 2500 with a 454- I towed a 6000lb. Grady-White for years,and I have brake problems that no one can seem to fix. When it sits for a couple days after driving it in the rain,they creak loudly,then it goes away as you drive it.
Also, the pedal response is OK but not great;I went thru an intersection at the bottom of a hill and couldn't stop last year with my 18 Scorpion in tow,and it's lots lighter than the Grady was.
The engine and trans. are great. No problems. I've heard others say bad stuff about Chevy truck brakes. Have you all had any brakes issues? Do Fords have a better braking system?
Eventually, I'll have a cabin-overnite boat again,and will get a bigger(1-ton) truck out of necessity. Poodle, C. Gorilla,..any of you,do you feel a Ford would be a better choice for braking, extended towing w/a heavy boat,and holding up for many years carrying&towing lotsa weight?
Again, my Chevy engine&trans. has been great,but I'm open-minded, and I do not want to go thru an intersection again like before. Too hard on the nervous system
Billl....

Mac
03-08-2005, 07:11 AM
Read up on all three, Ford, GM, and Dodge then make your decision.

JimG
03-08-2005, 07:34 AM
Those Fords sound pretty good. I'll have to buy one when I wear out my Cummins. I figure I have about 795,000 miles to go... :biggrin: :p :biggrin:

JimG

BERTRAM BOY
03-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Poodle,
You're talkin' an awful lot of smack about the Duramax for a guy who's had his Ford reflashed a couple dozen times.............

Anonymous

donzi182003
03-08-2005, 08:47 AM
MAC,
I checked the link out. I had been there before but not in a while. I guess well just have to wait and see. Dont have to worry bout it for another three years. Our 7.3 was excellent and it gave us many miles of service with no issues. Lets hope this truck works out the same or better.

Ed

donzi182003
03-08-2005, 11:27 AM
THE BIG CHROME GRILL THAT LOOKS LIKE A KENWORTH ON THE DODGE IS A BIG PIECE OF PLASTIC ATTACHED TO THE HOOD. I WENT TO SEE ONE AT THE DEALER AND I BELIEVE THE NEW DODGES HAVE CHEAPO INTERIOR PLASTICS AND THAT GRILL FELT LIKE IT WAS GONNA SNAP IN HALF WHEN I PULLED THE HOOD BACK DOWN. SO I SECOND MP's COMMENT ON EVERYTHING BUT THE CUMMINS FALLING APART THEY SURE ARE GOOD LOOKIN TRUCKS THO BUT IVE SEEN A 2000 DODGE WITH A DAM HOLE IN THE DASH FROM THE PLASTIC CRACKING. IT IS USED ON A NURSERY. MY 88 BRONCO'S DASH LOOKS LIKE DAY 1. AS FOR THE CHEVYS, THE WOLVERINE FRONT END HAS GOT TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS MY CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM TOWARDS THEM.

THIS IS MY OPINION DONT TAKE IT PERSONALLY

ED

JimG
03-08-2005, 01:15 PM
MP & Donzi182003,

I hear ya! I used to always say, "I bought a Cummins and they threw the Dodge in for free..."

But to my surprise, my 1996 Dodge (205,000 miles) has held up better than any truck I've ever owned (I've owned Chevys and Fords). The body integrity is superb, the suspension is still tight, doesn't eat brakes or tires (avg 60 k on tires). The interior is still like new, (no holes in dash). And its BY FAR the most comfortable over-the-road vehicle I've ever driven. I've driven eight hour stretches, and got out feeling good. Even the cloth seats still look new. And it gets 22mpg... :biggrin:

And if you think I don't work my truck: I own a hay farm. I've towed hay trailers up to 20k with no problem at all. :shocking:

It's funny, most of the boaters down here use Fords. The farmers and sand pit operators (towing BIG bulldozers) mostly use Dodges. And NO ONE I know uses half tons! :biggrin:

THIS IS MY OPINION DONT TAKE IT PERSONALLY

Ed, I didn't take it personnally. But you don't have to holler! :rolleyes:

JimG

BERTRAM BOY
03-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Originaly posted by Poodle.

LOL, good point.. Took ya since yesterday to come up with that?? Hope ya didn't strain anything

BTW, Chevy has started reflashing the Duramax's, your turn is coming

Hey, My Duramax survived a trip pulling Di's 16 from New Engand to Miami and back; and various local roadtrips.........but more importantly, it survived South Floridas finest Rastafarians. Can your Powerstroke say that?

Magicallbill
03-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Poodle,
Thanks for all the info! I think that's the longest post I've ever seen you make here! I appreciate your input....
Why do these engineers keep changing the engines? I've heard and read the 7.3's were good, 350's were around so long that they knew them inside-out,and I had a 300 six that went 375,000 with just wear&tear items replaced.(That 1/2 ton Ford was the best truck I ever had.)
Maybe the best way is to NOT buy a truck with a new engine for 2-3 years to let them shake 'em out.
That certainly was the case with my Scorpion drive unit. I have had 3(yes,3) Bravo XZ drives on that boat. The XZ's were new,and my service manager has told me they have been discontinued.
I'm just one guy, but I think somebody needs to tell those engineers to stop thinking so much....
B....

donzi182003
03-08-2005, 02:11 PM
South Florida's Rastafarians?? I am confused.:cartman:

pmreed
03-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Inside joke. There surfaced a nasty rumor over the winter that Cliff's truck, when he left it at a "friend's" home was used as a home away from home by Rasta. This was, of course, purely speculation, as the "friend" apparently removed all traces of said habitation. But....

Phil

BUIZILLA
03-08-2005, 07:44 PM
traces?? :shades:

donzi182003
03-09-2005, 12:11 PM
LMFAO!!!!

Magicallbill
03-10-2005, 02:18 AM
Just one more question;
Do these new pickup diesels have the potential to go 500,000 miles like the semis do?
Seems like everybody trades them before they could put that many miles on.
I can get 2to 300,000 out of a gas motor. If I pay 40K for a diesel I would hope it would go further.
You all should've been in comedy. Do you jazz each other in person at your gatherings liike you do on-line?
Billl

JimG
03-10-2005, 06:57 AM
There's a Cummins in my area that is at 835k miles, will hit a million this year. On TDR's site there's tons of them that have over 500k miles, several over a million. So, yes they can last that long. I'm shooting for 500k on mine. No sign of an issue yet.

Oh, Fords can last that long too... :biggrin.: Dunno 'bout the Duramax. Hasn't been out there long enough.