PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Dora trip up the Ocklawaha to Silver Springs

gcarter
03-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Bob (Tidbart) asked me to help out on this trip on Friday, March 18. Those of you who are coming to Mt. Dora for the antique boat show would probably be interested in this very scenic trip to Silver Springs. To help orient everyone, take a look at; http://www.lcwa.org/PublicFiles/GISRes_harris-chn-map.pdf
This is a really excellent map of the Harris Chain of lakes in Lake County Florida (it's a pretty large file so be patient).
If you look at #3, Herlong Park, at the South end of Lake Griffin, this will be our starting point, there's a steam locomotive in the middle of the parking lot and it's right on hwy US 441.
If you're staying in or boating from Mt. Dora, you should plan on giving yourself 60-90 minutes travel time across Lake Dora, Dora Canal (about one mile, no-wake), across part of Lake Eustis to Haines Creek (#4) about 4-5 miles,much of it no-wake and a lock 4' high and big enough for 2-3 boats, to #2 and South to Herlong Park.
So at about 10:30 will be our departure for Silver Springs. It is about 9-10 miles North to the mouth of the Ocklawaha River. This happens to be very close to where I live.

gcarter
03-02-2005, 09:06 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8708
This is a map of the Ocklawaha River I scanned and pasted together. I've made the trip up the river several times in a tournament ski boat and 40-45 MPH is easy to maintain. About half way to the Silver River is the Moss Bluff lock and dam. As you can see from the map it is 120' X 30' X 24' high so we can all get through at the same time. At the North end of our journey is a nice park at hwy 40 at the mouth of the Silver River. This is a good place to stop and have a picnic, or we can go on up the Silver River to the State Park near Silver Springs, I've never been to the state park so at this time I have no info on picnic facilities but I'm sure they're good. The trip up the river to the springs is 5-7 miles of very unique countryside. I'm sure everyone has at one time or another has seen movies or TV shows filmed at this location.

gcarter
03-02-2005, 09:08 PM
So what we need to do is make sure everyones questions are answered, and maybe get a head (or boat) count. It's a trip I think everyone will enjoy.

florida gator
03-02-2005, 09:32 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8708
This is a map of the Ocklawaha River I scanned and pasted together. I've made the trip up the river several times in a tournament ski boat and 40-45 MPH is easy to maintain. About half way to the Silver River is the Moss Bluff lock and dam. As you can see from the map it is 120' X 30' X 24' high so we can all get through at the same time. At the North end of our journey is a nice park at hwy 40 at the mouth of the Silver River. This is a good place to stop and have a picnic, or we can go on up the Silver River to the State Park near Silver Springs, I've never been to the state park so at this time I have no info on picnic facilities but I'm sure they're good. The trip up the river to the springs is 5-7 miles of very unique countryside. I'm sure everyone has at one time or another has seen movies or TV shows filmed at this location.

I don't think their are picnic facilities at the state park They do have a canoe launch lined with benches that I have sat at for lunch before. You will need to anchor outside of the roped off area and swim in.

You can also go up to the end of the river where the glass bottom boats run for the attraction.

gcarter
03-02-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm thinking the park at the river mouth at hwy 40 would be the best place to eat. There's also a good ramp in case Fishboy comes and has a surprise halfway through the trip. :biggrin:
I just know no one is going to have any problems!!!

gcarter
03-03-2005, 06:17 AM
Scott, there is fuel, I don't know about premium.
There are several places near D. R. Vics, at least two on Haines creek, two fish camps near the mouth of the Ocklawaha on Lake Griffin, and another fish camp with fuel on the river at hwy 42. Maybe I can check on premium. :boat:

Tidbart
03-03-2005, 06:38 AM
Thanks George,

I will be there on Friday. I plan on coming from Mt Dora with Poodle and anyone else who will be coming from there.

The plan would be to leave M D between 8:30 and 9:00 am for anyone planning this leg of the trip. Keep in mind that the town closes the Mt Dora ramp on Friday, not sure of the time. MP, will this be an issue if someone wants to launch on Friday morning in M D??

Anyone trailering to Herlong Park should try to be there a little early to get launched and be ready for a 10:30 departure. Getting there an hour to 1/2 hour early will allow time to help Fishboy get his boat running. :biggrin:

Bob

ChromeGorilla
03-03-2005, 06:53 AM
This looks like it'll so not suck. TY to everyone that is planning this out. We will launching at Herlong on the bottom of Lake Griffin. We will be at the launch around 9:30 am. Can't wait.

Fish boy
03-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Thanks George,

I will be there on Friday. I plan on coming from Mt Dora with Poodle and anyone else who will be coming from there.

The plan would be to leave M D between 8:30 and 9:00 am for anyone planning this leg of the trip. Keep in mind that the town closes the Mt Dora ramp on Friday, not sure of the time. MP, will this be an issue if someone wants to launch on Friday morning in M D??

Anyone trailering to Herlong Park should try to be there a little early to get launched and be ready for a 10:30 departure. Getting there an hour to 1/2 hour early will allow time to help Fishboy get his boat running. :biggrin:

Bob

Yer killin me dude!!! getting it running has traditionally been less of a problem than keeping it running, but you have a point there. Hopefully my problems are over though, new motor on the fish boat. heck, I might even see the other end of the tow rope for a change. ha! THanks again for the help on the suwannee too, that was the last straw for the old motor on the fishboat.

SWEET 66
03-03-2005, 09:25 AM
I will be putting in at Dora Friday am so count me in with the early crowd!

Cuda
03-03-2005, 09:26 AM
George, are you launching at that ramp off 441 that you showed me?

gcarter
03-03-2005, 10:31 AM
George, are you launching at that ramp off 441 that you showed me?
Yep Joe, that is Herlong Park.
FWIW, there is a steam locomotive in the middle of the parking lot, it's really hard to miss. It's also across the street from a citrus plant.

For those keeping their boats in Mt. Dora, you don't need to be controlled by the city ramp. There is an excellent ramp accross the lake at Wooten Park #14. I want to emphasize the park there is very secure (it's directly behind the court house) and it's open 24 hours.

Cuda
03-03-2005, 12:39 PM
I'd hate to be the first person Fish has ever had the opportunity to tow :D :D :D

Fish has much experience helping out stranded boaters. I've seen lots of picture of him pushing Budman with a tow line. :cistineb:

gcarter
03-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Scott, I would guess the mileage is 60 miles round trip from Herlong Park. I would guess R/T from Dora is 30-40 miles.
I was only able to find 89 octane gas at the places I was able to reach, It's available at Nelson's Fish Camp on the river @ Hwy 42.

BUIZILLA
03-03-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm in, i'll be there Thurs afternoon, and launching that afternoon somewhere's.... bringing the motorhome, so I gotta scout a place on the water. Not sure of head count, or how may boats i'm bringing, but i'm in. I'm in for the Friday trip and Saturday lunch.

JH :biggrin.:

gcarter
03-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Jim, take a look at;
Fisherman's Cove RV Park Golf Motel and Marina
29115 N. Eichelberger, Tavares 352-343-1233

BUIZILLA
03-03-2005, 04:16 PM
thanx

ChromeGorilla
03-03-2005, 04:22 PM
I'm in, i'll be there Thurs afternoon

Sweet, thats great news Jim.

ChromeGorilla
03-03-2005, 04:52 PM
It looks like BoatCrazy from St. Augustine will be joing me for the Fri run in my boat. Unfortunately he is not able to make the Lunch on Sat. Glad you asked Steve. :wavey:

BUIZILLA
03-03-2005, 05:12 PM
George, on your map, is there a campground/resort park at #13 or #14?? both those spots show a ramp???

Speed-Racer
03-03-2005, 05:20 PM
I remeber we talked about this last year....a looong way to idle, but should be just as beautiful as the Dora canel, if not more so...

off topic, but who had the Re-stored Horent last year??

BoatCrazy
03-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Thanks goes to ChromeGorilla for allowing me to take up a seat in his sweet looking 22 Classic for the run to Silver Springs on friday. I really look forward to it as I have yet to ride in a 22' and it will actually probably get me in trouble in the end because my wife says 3 boats is enough already but.......

I will be attending the show on Saturday with my family and look forward to meeting everybody and checking out everybody's fantastic Donzi's.

gcarter
03-03-2005, 07:14 PM
George, on your map, is there a campground/resort park at #13 or #14?? both those spots show a ramp???
Jim, both of these are city parks. #13 is tiny, has a ramp on the Dora Canal but barely any parking and no pavement. #14 is the ramp at Wooten Park, nice lake front family park, but no camping facilities.
Fisherman's Cove is located to the West of the round hwy 19 sign on the East end of Lake Harris. There is also Lake Griffin State Park, I don't know anything about it. It's off hwy 441 just North of Leesburg. 352-360-6760.

:smile: :wavey:

Stepped Bottom
03-08-2005, 12:58 PM
You might want to check out the Holiday Travel Resort on CR 33 in Leesburg. We have booked both a campsite and dock space for the weekend. Here's the link www.holidaytravelresort.com

Darla

BUIZILLA
03-10-2005, 04:15 PM
I somehow managed to score a room at Lakeside, so not bringing the coach... this WILL make the wifey mucho happier :rolleyes:

JH

gcarter
03-10-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm glad you found your room Jim. :moped:

BUIZILLA
03-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Is there an informal intinerary for Friday? or are we just going up to the SS intersection, gawking, and coming right back? or a picnic at that park? or are we going all the way down the creek to Silver Springs, munch out, and then come back? inquiring minds wanna/need to know.

:checkered

gcarter
03-11-2005, 09:56 PM
My tentative plans are to picnic at the park @ hwy 40, it will definately be lunch tim e by the time we get there, take our time up the Silver River to the springs (several miles) and then back. If anyone wants to they can stop at anytime and snorkel or what ever. This is some of the clearest water you will ever see. You can stop anywhere along the river. If you can still go into the springs area (I've heard both that you can and you can't) you're not allowed to get out of the boats. The park has a lease on the springs, they don't own them, but it's been several years since I've been there by boat.
Anyway the trip back down the Silver River goes much faster as the river flows at 2-4 knots.
Of course we will entertain any ideas you may have.
Oh yeah, cameras and lots of batteries.

ChromeGorilla
03-18-2005, 04:39 AM
OK truck is loaded up and heading out the door to pickup the boat. Then headed to Dora. See y'all down there.

gcarter
03-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Well, It was really chilly this morning. It started out with eight boats but by the time we got up into the Ocklawaha River, one boat dropped out because they were underdressed. So the seven of us persevered on up the river through the lock and up towards the Silver River. Well we soon found out the upper end of the river had not been cleared from storm debris. I hit a stump and later found out I bent two of the three blades of Catch 22's prop :cussball: .
We got so close we could hear the highway 40 traffic. We were probably 1/4 mile from the Silver River, but the river became impassible. We turned around and headed back. At the foot of the dam, we stopped at a park and had our picnic. Then after going through the lock, and up the river to lake Griffin. We had about eight miles to open it up. I found out the Minx will do 64 MPH (Jim's GPS) @4550 RPM with a 25P cleaver with two bent blades. I can';t wait to try some more props.

onesubdrvr
03-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Well, It was really chilly this morning. It started out with eight boats but by the time we got up into the Ocklawaha River, one boat dropped out because they were underdressed. So the seven of us persevered on up the river through the lock and up towards the Silver River. Well we soon found out the upper end of the river had not been cleared from storm debris. I hit a stump and later found out I bent two of the three blades of Catch 22's prop :cussball: .
We got so close we could hear the highway 40 traffic. We were probably 1/4 mile from the Silver River, but the river became impassible. We turned around and headed back. At the foot of the dam, we stopped at a park and had our picnic. Then after going through the lock, and up the river to lake Griffin. We had about eight miles to open it up. I found out the Minx will do 64 MPH (Jim's GPS) @4550 RPM with a 25P cleaver with two bent blades. I can';t wait to try some more props.
George,

I wish I could have been there to see the Minx in all it's glory

Have fun again tomorrow everyone, and remember to tip one back for me!!

At least I'm down to making "hit list" to finish the job now, there is NO reason I can't make it on the water Sunday, should be able to start it about lunch time tomorrow :biggrin:

Until next time
Wayne

Cuda
03-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Somehow I had it in my mind the run was Sunday, not that it matters now that I don't have my boat. :(

Cuda
03-20-2005, 08:05 PM
I heard it was the Miami contingent that froze out and turned back. :wink: :chillpill :sombrero:

Cuda
03-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Please tell me that isn't an ex Winni Bandit in the mummy disguise above. :boggled:

BoatCrazy
03-20-2005, 08:19 PM
1st Pic: MadPoodle comes to the conclusion it was warmer back at the room..........

BoatCrazy
03-20-2005, 08:20 PM
2nd: but then decides wait it may be warmer up around the bend........

BoatCrazy
03-20-2005, 08:22 PM
3rd: or maybe after the locks it may be warmer upriver........

BoatCrazy
03-20-2005, 08:23 PM
4th: Hell No! It's got to be warmer everywhere other than here! See ya!

Fun day but boy was it cold.

I was glad to finally meet some of the crew and look forward to the next time when I can take a few tag-a-longs on my Z23.

I took alot of pic's both Firday and Saturday at the show and am going to be posting them for all to see after my finger thaw out.

BoatCrazy
03-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Thank CG (Scott & Michelle) for allowing me to tag-a-long on Friday and for making my nephews day on Saturday for taking him around the lake a few time chasing after those crazy Jersey Speed Skiffs.

BoatCrazy
03-20-2005, 08:38 PM
George, Here's a great shot of your masterpiece at speed (check out the speedo!)

ChromeGorilla
03-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Steve it was our pleasure. It was great to meet you, Amber and Wyatt. Wyatt is awesome. My wife keeps asking me "ohhh did you see him?!?!" Your nephew had a big smile after that ride. Michelle and I are both looking forward to seeing you guys some more this summer.

And to the 4 hooligans I ran with all weekend (you know who you are) we had a blast. Michelle and I have 4 new friends that are truly awesome people. Thank you for everything. And Jim a big thanks to your parents (they're some rockin silver hairs I tell ya!). They were very gracious to us all weekend. I look forward to seein them again.

Mr. Carter, thank you for the "deliverance river tour" fri, it was great. Cold, but great. As far as your Minx, you did very well. Thats one sweet ride thats runs real strong. Well done sir!

And last but not least I want to thank Bob (Tidbart) for all his effort. Great job. I really enjoyed myself. Thank you.

ChromeGorilla
03-20-2005, 09:20 PM
BoatCrazy, that is one fine piece of journalism. A top notch photo-essay on "The retreat of the Poodle". :wavey: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :wavey:

gcarter
03-21-2005, 06:37 AM
Thank you Scott for the pics and the kind words.
If anyone wants to finish this trip this summer, we can meet you anytime at the Hwy 40 park and enjoy the Silver River. :yippie:
Just send me an email.

Cuda
03-21-2005, 06:45 AM
Thank you Scott for the pics and the kind words.
If anyone wants to finish this trip this summer, we can meet you anytime at the Hwy 40 park and enjoy the Silver River. :yippie:
Just send me an email.
I would very much like to make that run. I'd like to do the whole thing though from where you started Friday.

BUIZILLA
03-21-2005, 07:25 AM
sounds like a canoe is in order this time.............. :boggled:

gcarter
03-21-2005, 07:26 AM
I would very much like to make that run. I'd like to do the whole thing though from where you started Friday.
Joe, unfortunately the river is impassable just South of Hwy 40 from storm debris. I bent a prop, Russ got hung up on a trunk. So until there are some funds available to clear debris, we would have to gon in from the North.

BabyDonzi
03-21-2005, 03:50 PM
So much to type, as my fingers are finally starting to thaw!

Guys, we had a blast! Thank you Tidbart for putting this all together! Mt Dora will now be an annual event for us. George and his river run was a great idea, it turned into a river race on the way back, what a blast! Hard left, hard right, hard u-turn!

Another thank you to Catch 22's parents for putting us up (and putting up with us)! And congrats on his purchase of a Minx while we were there! Yes, he has it bad!

Hooligan? Ehhhhhhhhh, Scott, I've been called worse!

And I must admit, it was the first time I ever had to wait for Baby to thaw out? What's up with that??????????

For those of you that didn't make it, those of you who "thought about making it" and those of you that just plain old didn't want to go, this is a beautiful part of the country and you missed a great experience! I would think real hard about making it next year! We made new friends and visited with old, that's the Donzi way!

Buizilla, swear to god, she's "stock"! :biggrin.:

See you all in Jacksonville for the AngelAID poker run!!!!

catch 22
03-21-2005, 04:34 PM
We finally made it home. What a GREAT weekend. Thanks again Tidbart for arranging lunch at Crazy Gators. Thanks G.Carter for the river run through the frozen Tundra. Got a little turbulant in the Locks and got a battlescar to prove it but she will live. Next time I want the Bob Eucker seat. :biggrin: :biggrin: . Enjoyed Mike and Lori (Baby Donzi) and Scott and Michelle (ChromeGorilla) company. Saturday on the way home from the Dock party I thought I would show them Nebraska :biggrin: :biggrin: on the way back to my folks place. Had to stop for fuel and almost drove off without my wife. :banghead: she was on the phone trying to get directions out of Nebraska. All in all it was a fantastic weekend and enjoyed everyones company. P.S. Buizilla it's not Stock. :)

gcarter
03-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Jim, I want to thank you and Jina for being there every time we launched!!!!
This is my first trailable boat and I have a lot to learn.
Thanks again.

:wavey:

BUIZILLA
03-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Buizilla, swear to god, she's "stock"! :biggrin.: BD, it's spelled God... now i'm positive your fibbing. You can't out fox a fox dude... :D your wife can't keep a straight face either ;)

JH :garfield:

BoatCrazy
03-21-2005, 08:34 PM
I posted all 183 pictures & 4 Videos from the Fridays run to Silver Springs on ImageStation

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2129207860

Enjoy...............

gcarter
03-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks for posting all those pics!!!

BoatCrazy
03-21-2005, 09:22 PM
MP

Is there an easier way to post 185Mb worth of pictures? If so please let me know and I'll get-r-done.

Fish boy
03-21-2005, 09:29 PM
MP

Is there an easier way to post 185Mb worth of pictures? If so please let me know and I'll get-r-done.

www.snapfish.com It is free, does not eat up server space and bandwidth on this site (this is a good AND considerate thing), and people can download or order prints. There are other sites that do this like www.ofoto.com Pretty much the same deal, but I do not think visitors can download full sized images; on snapfish you can. Only snag is you have to register, but like I said, it is free, and there does not seem to be a max number of pics you can upload.

I am going to do the same for mine shortly.

fish

Fish boy
03-21-2005, 09:31 PM
oops, just read poodles post more carefully. Probably going to be the same problem with these also.

sorry

BoatCrazy
03-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Pictures from Friday's Frosty the Snowman Run and Saturday's Mt Dora Antique Boat Show will soon be available at Snapfish.com. I'll post a link after they are downloaded.

Thanks again.

ChromeGorilla
03-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Now thats funny chit MP! LMFAO! :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

Fish boy
03-22-2005, 07:24 AM
here is the link th the pics I took this weekend.

Dora Pics (http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=550221111496253248/l=44449086/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB)

I hope this link works better:)

Budmann
03-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Great pics. I missed this trip very much!!! :banghead:

Jody... couldn't open Snapfish. didn't finish enrolling and now they won't let me do anything.

Fish boy
03-22-2005, 10:02 AM

Jody... couldn't open Snapfish. didn't finish enrolling and now they won't let me do anything.

I changed the link from the first one I put up. I hope this helps, DOnzigo was having problems too. lemme know if it does not work now.

Budmann
03-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Got in the second time no problem.

ChromeGorilla
03-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Here are my pistures.... Dora weekend pics (http://www.snapfish.com/photolibrary/t_=22788271)

catch 22
03-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Scott, do you remember the # of the JS that was playing around with you? I didn't get mine sweet revenge that I wanted from a year ago when they were messing with me. I guess I will have to wait till next year. :wavey:

BoatCrazy
03-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Here a pic of the guys that were playing around with us on Saturday.

BUIZILLA
03-22-2005, 07:07 PM
I think JS9 was the fastest, or next to the fastest one... i'm starting to get attached to these things, but I haven't even been for a ride in one yet...

JH

Fish boy
03-22-2005, 07:14 PM
I think JS9 was the fastest, or next to the fastest one... i'm starting to get attached to these things, but I haven't even been for a ride in one yet...

JH

Sounds like someone has empty nest (or emptier nest) syndrome ;) :D

BoatCrazy
03-22-2005, 07:15 PM
My Dad tells me stories about when he raced in JS-13 as the copilot in and around the Jersey shore area many years ago. Not too sure my back would like the constant porpoising like they tend to do.

They sure do get up on plane fast and seem to have incredible mid range umph.

Fish boy
03-22-2005, 07:16 PM

Hey man, you were definitely missed this weekend, hopefully this is the last one you will have to miss.

ChromeGorilla
03-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Jim, BoatCrazy was my onboard photographer. He posted a pic of the boat. JS-22. thats him! :yes:

sweet 16 1966
03-22-2005, 07:43 PM
This was my first trip and I wanted to thank everyone for the much enjoyed get together and a warm welcome. Thanks to Catch 22 for the ride, what a boat! The Minx looked awsome! All the Donzi's look great together! What a great group of people. I hope Sheila can make it next trip.

I also have pics to post when I have more time.

THANK YOU ALL

ChromeGorilla
03-22-2005, 07:47 PM
OK here is a good link to my photo album...thanks Fish! Dora pictures (http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=21181663/t_=22788271) :biggrin.:

Bad-Tat
03-26-2005, 07:43 AM
Boatcrazy,
Ask the Grizz about barrel rolling one of those Jersey Skiffs!!!
More of a wild ride than Bad-Tat!!!

BUIZILLA
03-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Ask the Grizz about barrel rolling one of those Jersey Skiffs!!! :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :confused:

BoatCrazy
03-26-2005, 08:22 AM
MadPoodle

I looked at posting the pictures here in the Events galleries but you have to load one picture at a time and that would take hours to get accomplished.

Do you know of a faster way to upload hundreds of pictures I took from Friday's Run as well as the from the Boat Show on Saturday?

I'd love to share all the pictures I have with everyone.

:lookaroun

BoatCrazy
03-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks MadPoodle,

I'll go through my pic's this weekend and start posting the one's I think people would be interesting in seeing in the Events section of the gallery.

marcdups
03-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Poodle, sorry missed that comment that I had competition, but to me that looked more like a "towel head", you posted my avatar so see no towel, just a Donzi stripe, further more cold or not, you guys down there on the "phallus" seem to have a lot more fun, maybe I need to move !!!! :lookaroun :biggrin: