PDA

View Full Version : Marine Shift Assist by MSD

onesubdrvr
03-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Well,

As I was in the garage tonight organizing everything for hopefully placing on the engine tomorrow, I found myself with another question to ask!!

I upgraded to the Pertronix Ignitor II distributer and Blaster II coil. ANYWAY, I purchased the MSD MSA modual thinking I would need it. The instructions show all installations usind an MSD Marine 6 igniton box - which I don't have. Do I need the MSA? if so, how do I hook it up to an otherwise stock set-up?

Wayne

onesubdrvr
03-03-2005, 01:18 PM
TTT,

Help please?

Also, while we are talking ignition, can we talk about the resistance wire?

Thanks
Wayne

Greg K
03-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Probably not...how did it shift prior?
OMC can be done several ways for a shift interupt.

onesubdrvr
03-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Probably not...how did it shift prior?
OMC can be done several ways for a shift interupt.

It has an Electronic Shift Assist Module. I used to have a problem with it shifting when it got warm, but replaced the lower shift cable today, and suspect I found that problem.

The directions that came with the Marine Shift Assist module from MSD shows this module, but also shows that it needs to be connected to an MSD-6 Marine ignition box,....

Wayne

Greg K
03-03-2005, 06:21 PM
The directions that came with the Marine Shift Assist module from MSD shows this module, but also shows that it needs to be connected to an MSD-6 Marine ignition box,....
Wayne
That is correct..

onesubdrvr
03-03-2005, 06:51 PM
That is correct..

I guess that since I went with a pertronix that had no external ingintion box (uses stock set-up), I don't need the MSD Marine Shift Assist, just the stock one?

Wayne

Rootsy
03-04-2005, 06:42 AM
correct...

BUIZILLA
03-04-2005, 06:53 AM
Wayne, you can use your stock OMC shift interrupter setup from the V6. You will not be able to use one of the 3 mount holes for the bracket to the intake, because of the port location/bolt location of the newer V8 intake. When I did my conversion, that's what I did, and it worked like a charm. Thats assuming that both were Vortec design intakes. You WILL have to confirm cable and throttle *travel* to idle and WOT.

JH

onesubdrvr
03-04-2005, 07:48 AM
Well, thanks fella's

I guess that's another part I have to sell!!

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about the brackets, but I'll make 'em work, make new ones, or I'll buy new ones

Wayne

Dave_N
03-04-2005, 12:12 PM
I think that you may need to use the Pertronix/OMC shift fix.

Dave

onesubdrvr
03-10-2005, 09:42 PM
I think that you may need to use the Pertronix/OMC shift fix.

Dave

I am confused, and may be confusing others,

I mispoke, I did NOT get the Ingitor II module (converts normal points to pointless distributer), I got the Flame-Thrower Billet Distributer

The instructions say to just disconned the resistance wire. The fix that you listed, is it still required, can you give me a little more info on it?

Thanks,
Wayne