PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Donzi Z-33 for $9,995 !!!!!

TEAMPSI
03-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Hello everyone and how are you. Let me clarify a little... For those of you that know me.. I am currently working on a 1987 Donzi Z-33 project... that is NOT the same boat that I am selling on this post.

I ran into a good deal on a 1988 Z-33 that looks IDENTICAL to the one that I am currently working on... same color (Teal) same everything.

Couple items to note:

>> There is no power with this boat - You will need, drives, transoms, and motors.
>> The Interior need to be recovered - Same deal with my current project... most all of them need TLC on the interior.
>> The hull is in GREAT SHAPE!! Cleaner then the hull on my other boat. The Teal is faded and would need some attention... but the structure is very nice. We did not drill through the stringers... but tapped them with a hard rubber mallet... very strong.... built like a tank!
>> No trailer is included in the above price... but a new aluminum triple can be purchase for around 3K.

This would be a great project for someone at a great price... Trades are also welcome... but cash is always king :)

Thanks again everyone and let me know what you think!

Q

http://i21.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/7c/0a/b9_1_b.JPG

http://i24.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/7c/6c/b9_1_b.JPG

http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/7c/5d/ed_1_b.JPG

http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/7c/32/c1_1_b.JPG

http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/7c/80/41_1_b.JPG

apollo24
03-01-2005, 09:17 AM
Wasn't this the one that was just on eBay for $500? I didn't see any bids, and then it was taken off? $10k seems pretty tough for just a hull, but I don't know these boats very well.

Craig S
03-01-2005, 09:26 AM
No, couldn't be. Must have just been a similar one.

BoatCrazy
03-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Same boat, owner removed listing from Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4530460134&fromMakeTrack=true

Craig S
03-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Same boat, owner removed listing from Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4530460134&fromMakeTrack=true

You guys are soooo quick.

TEAMPSI
03-01-2005, 02:49 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4530460134&category=26451

item ended............................

You are correct... I bought it off of him outside of Ebay so he ended the auction early... $500 was the starting bid.

I am going to pick this boat up in 2 weeks.... I figured that I would post it on the net for a quick turn around. Or... I'll just bring it back to South Carolina and restore it.

10K is a great deal for this boat... especially if you can do everything yourself. Finding a good Z-33 is becoming harder and harder these days... Remember, this is a Pre- OMC boat.... which means it was actually built correctly. Once Donzi switched ownership, they had tons of problems. This boat was had built... no chopper gun.

At any rate, I checked the value of this boat on www.nada.com (http://www.nada.com) and the avg. sell price on this boat is 35K. Switch it up with a pair of 502's and that price jumps to 40K. That is without a trailer and the original 454 mag motors.

Someone could buy this boat for 10K... build a pair of 502 motors... fish around on ebay for a transom/drive assy... and re-cover the interior for under 25K!!! And that is with the trailer!!! Then, you end up with a zero hour 33 foot monster... built to your specs... for half the NADA value.

Thanks everyone and let me know what you think.

Q

Lenny
03-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Teampsi, I can't believe you brought this up.
Remember, this is a Pre- OMC boat.... which means it was actually built correctly. Once Donzi switched ownership, they had tons of problems. This boat was hand built... no chopper gun.

I am actually full of pop-corn right now but might make a bag for later ;)

BoatCrazy
03-01-2005, 05:53 PM
I totally agree with you Teampsi as I too have purchased a project boat a little bit ago, a 1990 32' Sea Ray Pachanga that was a theft recovery. No engine, no drives and needs a complete redo of the cockpit.

I have been down this road before and I totally enjoy taking a boat that most people turn their heads away from and transforming it to something that you can really be proud of as well knowing every inch of her because you probably have replaced it or fixed it.

Here's a pic of my latest project:

BoatCrazy
03-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Another project I could not walk away from, a 1979 21' Checkmate Entertainer that I picked up for $300. Many dollars later and a very low hour 1996 5.7 EFI / Bravo 3 and I had a custom 70mph Checkmate that was one of a kind.

Now you know where BoatCrazy comes from!

TuxedoPk
03-02-2005, 01:23 AM
Teampsi, I can't believe you brought this up.

I am actually full of pop-corn right now but might make a bag for later ;)

Lenny, what brand popcorn are you stocking up on these days? :wink:

Lenny
03-02-2005, 02:02 AM
Redinbacher Richard :D

This thread is GOOOODDD.

To bad it is out of the limelight.

Hmmmmmm, Let's see... If (IF) I could afford an 88-94 DONZI of particular size and worth, and I read THAT :eek:

Team PSI, you need to learn a bit more, and know a LOT more, before you can question the structural dynamics of a particular lay-up, the pit-falls, the shortfalls, as it pertains to your "General Comment" you threw out there in regards to the 88-94 DONZI's. You are WRONG BROTHER :mad:

Would you like a '05 38 ZR with 850's... ??? welcome to Chopper. This has the looks of a lame ass comment from someone who is mis-informed, or at least, has VERY little understanding of glass, its' exo and endothermic properties, and the end product. I hope this was not from you, but here-say... :confused:

Thank God for moderators. :rolleyes:

Anyone want to take the helm of this one?

TeamPSI, "Chopper" means NOTHING, it is simply a wet out, of a mold, to give a backing/surface for subsequent re-inforcements and thus structural rigidity. Choppered hull fabrics are only missing the binders for the polyester knits. (they hold the roll together as a 50" wide "yarn" if it were to be hand laid) Actually (Chopper) is easier to apply, and it achieves a BETTER result, (if the operator knows what he is doing) .

Ratios of fluids to solids, cut/rate before the nozzle etc . STILL, (afterwards) , it gets rolled out against the mold, no different than a hand laid job. The less porous the better. THESE skin coats (2 usually) ARE NOT WHAT MAKES THE HULL.

It is only the backer for the gel and ( once kicked) to minimize print-through. Then the BUSINESS BEGINS. There is NO diferrence between a properly laided up "hand" hull, and a choppered skin coat "not hand laid hull"

Only the skill and the education of the people applying it. You can screw this up either way.

"Small boat builders", (as in quantity) like to promote your folklore, "HANDLAID" only for one reason I can see... a chopper gun costs about 9$K US ( a good one) and is nothing but a problem from then on. Thus, "we" promote,... "hand laid" and reduce capitol costs, repairs and the like.

Resin infusion is the ONLY way I now of to eliminate rolling the $hit out in production molding. The costs are ENORMOUS $$$$$$$$$$.

Bottom line,... someone who cares about the front door of his business, understands his product, has passion for the product, and can manage a business successfully...well, ... in most cases, the rest falls into place. Much like it did for Don. :)

TEAMPSI
03-02-2005, 06:04 AM
up
Lenny, what brand popcorn are you stocking up on these days? :wink:

Lenny - First off... you must have a lot of time on your hands to reply to my "little" post. My intentions were not to offend anyone with an OMC Donzi... I was simply stating the FACTS that I have gotten from this board.

I was not just generally saying that all OMC type Donzi's were bad. If you go back and read the feedback from owners on this board... they will tell you to stay away from OMC type Donzi's that were pre 1990. That is because they switched over to a "chopper gun" style of manufacturing and had TONS of glitches. Did I say all chopper made hulls are bad?!?!?!? NO, I did not... again, taking something I wrote and blowing it out of proportion.

Type in OMC for a search and you'll find plenty of posts questioning the integrity... I have done my homework and know more then you think about the first OMC boats that Donzi pumped out. The key word for that conversation is: Warranty Claim

Bottom line: If you are interested in the boat 10K please reply to this post (that is the intention of the classifieds)... Otherwise, you can e-mail me if you have other comments.

Fish boy
03-02-2005, 06:53 AM
this is definitely an interesting thread that I am biting my tongue on, except for the original intent of this thread. I personally agree with teamPSI in this post

You are correct... I bought it off of him outside of Ebay so he ended the auction early... $500 was the starting bid.

I am going to pick this boat up in 2 weeks.... I figured that I would post it on the net for a quick turn around. Or... I'll just bring it back to South Carolina and restore it.

10K is a great deal for this boat... especially if you can do everything yourself. Finding a good Z-33 is becoming harder and harder these days... Remember, this is a Pre- OMC boat.... which means it was actually built correctly. Once Donzi switched ownership, they had tons of problems. This boat was had built... no chopper gun.

At any rate, I checked the value of this boat on www.nada.com and the avg. sell price on this boat is 35K. Switch it up with a pair of 502's and that price jumps to 40K. That is without a trailer and the original 454 mag motors.

Someone could buy this boat for 10K... build a pair of 502 motors... fish around on ebay for a transom/drive assy... and re-cover the interior for under 25K!!! And that is with the trailer!!! Then, you end up with a zero hour 33 foot monster... built to your specs... for half the NADA value.

Thanks everyone and let me know what you think.

Not an expert on the exact pricing of motor and drive packages (just checked ebay and OSO real fast), but I have brought several boats back to life that have been sitting neglected and also happen to know how much gell (a lot) is on this boat. If you are good with a wrench and buffer, you could have a very good looking good running z-33 for under 25k without a doubt. power package could be 454's, I know of 2 sets around that could be purchased for less than 6k, both sets are nice motors, one is fresh water only, the other is salt but babied and well cared for.

Bottom line, $500 is ludacris to even think about buying almost any hull (look up 13' boston whalers). Anyone who has seen or ridden in big-D or digger's freedom (similar boats) knows what an awesome boat this is and how much attention it draws everywhere it goes. You could spend a lot of money to get perfect boats like pearson, or donzigo (and many others) have, but you soure could have an very good boat for way less than you could buy it for on the open market with a little wrench and buffer time. just my overvalued $.02.

fish

Good luck sellling

TEAMPSI
03-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the positive coments Fish... I appreciate it.

Usually you can find used bravo drive/transom packages for 4K on Ebay... at least that is what I paid for the last set I bought. I have also seen a few sets up on Ebay sense then for around 4K. You may also want to try the trader.

Engine prices very quite a bit... but Fish is on the right track... you should be able to put nice twins (454's or 502's) in here for 6K if you look hard enough. Shoot... I have the original 454 Mag short blocks from my 87 Z-33.... I'll throw them in with the deal if someone can use them!

Thanks again

Q

TuxedoPk
03-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Redinbacher Richard :D

This thread is GOOOODDD.

To bad it is out of the limelight.

Hmmmmmm, Let's see... If (IF) I could afford an 88-94 DONZI of particular size and worth, and I read THAT :eek:

Team PSI, you need to learn a bit more, and know a LOT more, before you can question the structural dynamics of a particular lay-up, the pit-falls, the shortfalls, as it pertains to your "General Comment" you threw out there in regards to the 88-94 DONZI's. You are WRONG BROTHER :mad:

Would you like a '05 38 ZR with 850's... ??? welcome to Chopper. This has the looks of a lame ass comment from someone who is mis-informed, or at least, has VERY little understanding of glass, its' exo and endothermic properties, and the end product. I hope this was not from you, but here-say... :confused:

Thank God for moderators. :rolleyes:

Anyone want to take the helm of this one?

TeamPSI, "Chopper" means NOTHING, it is simply a wet out, of a mold, to give a backing/surface for subsequent re-inforcements and thus structural rigidity. Choppered hull fabrics are only missing the binders for the polyester knits. (they hold the roll together as a 50" wide "yarn" if it were to be hand laid) Actually (Chopper) is easier to apply, and it achieves a BETTER result, (if the operator knows what he is doing) .

Ratios of fluids to solids, cut/rate before the nozzle etc . STILL, (afterwards) , it gets rolled out against the mold, no different than a hand laid job. The less porous the better. THESE skin coats (2 usually) ARE NOT WHAT MAKES THE HULL.

It is only the backer for the gel and ( once kicked) to minimize print-through. Then the BUSINESS BEGINS. There is NO diferrence between a properly laided up "hand" hull, and a choppered skin coat "not hand laid hull"

Only the skill and the education of the people applying it. You can screw this up either way.

"Small boat builders", (as in quantity) like to promote your folklore, "HANDLAID" only for one reason I can see... a chopper gun costs about 9$K US ( a good one) and is nothing but a problem from then on. Thus, "we" promote,... "hand laid" and reduce capitol costs, repairs and the like.

Resin infusion is the ONLY way I now of to eliminate rolling the $hit out in production molding. The costs are ENORMOUS $$$$$$$$$$.

Bottom line,... someone who cares about the front door of his business, understands his product, has passion for the product, and can manage a business successfully...well, ... in most cases, the rest falls into place. Much like it did for Don. :)

What Lenny said :wink:

Lenny
03-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Tux, let this die. :)

I made my point, he made his.

Obviously, it is still winter. :chillpill