PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Z-21/22

doral300sc
02-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Im in the process of buying a 1989 Donzi Z-21/22 with a 460 King Cobra. Anything I should be looking for as far as known problem spots? The engine and drive are solid, we have ran them and had them checked. The whole engine has real low hours.

Thanks Guys
Bill:odie:

Trueser
02-28-2005, 07:21 PM
I would look at the stringers and transom real close. This is a repairable problem but buyer beware.

doral300sc
03-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Why does this happen? Are the boats not encapslated stringers? Any other things I should look for, the motor ran good, its a 460 Cobra with the King Cobra Drive, anything to be aware of? I mean I allready know the whole, cobra out and no parts thing but still anything?

onesubdrvr
03-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Well,

Alot of times, what will happen is that yes, the stringers are encapsulated, but then, they drill the holes for the motor mount brackets and don't seal the bolts, so, water drips behind the motor mound plate and into the bolt holes, and since it's hard for the water to escape, voila, rot!!

Wayne

doral300sc
03-07-2005, 10:46 AM
The other thing I'd like to ask is, this boat has the 460 with the king cobra. Am i getting myself into a mess here or is this ok? The boat has actually really low hours on it and was lift kept I found out. Is this 460 a good motor and whats the deal with the king cobra drive? I have had plenty of mercs but no OMC.

Thanks.
Will

Fish boy
03-07-2005, 04:18 PM
do yourself a huge favor and hire a marine surveyor to check it out. A few bucks up front goes a long way towards piece of mind, and if the surveyor finds anything, at least you can make an informed decision or adjust the price accordingly.

fish

Ernie Gibson
03-08-2005, 06:49 PM
:alligator Bill, check the stringers out carefully just in front of the engine but before the gas tank. I just had the floor out of my '88 and they have the weirdest system of flotation you've ever seen. They have large open cell fiberglass "cells" on each side of the stringers to the sides of the boat. This can get water in this area and it stays forever. The only outlet for the water is at the rear of the stringer and it's a small hole about 2" in dia. and its too high for small amounts of water to drain out. Worst place should be around the seat where the ladder to get in the boat is from the swim platform. That's where the water gets down in there and stays and stays and stays.......
Inside my stringers looked great but there should be an inspection flap on each side of the engine to inspect the "outside" of the stringers. Wish I had checked mine before the purchase. That was about $3K ago. Good luck. Ern.

Im in the process of buying a 1989 Donzi Z-21/22 with a 460 King Cobra. Anything I should be looking for as far as known problem spots? The engine and drive are solid, we have ran them and had them checked. The whole engine has real low hours.

Thanks Guys
Bill:odie:

RSlick
03-09-2005, 12:45 AM
I owned on a Z21 with OMC 460 and Cobra drive. Motor & drive worked great. Super boat but had one problem that drove me crazy. The boat would propoise slightly on smooth water. There maybe a prop selection that would have fixed the problem but did not get a chance to find out. It had a Michigan stainless on it.

Rob

doral300sc
03-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks for all your help, I am a naval architect and Design boats for a living, I was just checking to see if you guys knew of any known spots that are a pain in this boat. I am looking into buying it as a toy. Already got a big boat but this should be fun to bomb around in. As for the color, no its bright red and it is on blocks.

Bill