PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of Vance Marine?

Ventuna
02-27-2005, 02:21 PM
I have a 16' Vance sweet 16. It was suggested that I check with the registry to find history. It is identical to 69 Donzi 16. Is there a connection somehow?

pmreed
03-03-2005, 09:52 PM
And, here it is. :biggrin:

Vance on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31270&item=4532644507&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

Phil

Lenny
03-04-2005, 01:12 AM
Vent, ooops, I forgot about your email to me. Sorry. Really. :(

Anyways, I did not know anything about Vance and the Donzi other than a few whisperings. Nothing factual to offer you so I don't feel too bad.

Glad someone helped :D

again, sorry for forgetting.

Lenny
03-04-2005, 01:17 AM
You know wha. In looking at the TERRIBLE pics, BUT, the boat is in 2 plus 2 seating arrangement. That seems odd to me being it is a '69 :confused:

Maybe they (Vance) made a few changes earlier on than DONZI ???

Neat post, terrible pics. Got any more? Can you take some?

...price is HIGH... I looked at one in Santa Monica, REAL, DONZI, H/M, all orig, and bailed on it at $5500 US. Local Hollywood boat since 1969. Tandem trailer and all. Running, original gel. It went to S. Carolina somewhere.

The only thing not working properly that day was my brain. :banghead: :bonk: :banghead: :bonk:

boatnut
03-29-2005, 01:30 PM
(the following comes from someone --- me ---- that is entering a stage
of life where memory malfunctions happen --- although usually not about
boat related things--- so to head off the libel suits I will say up front that
this is the way I remember it and I may be wrong)

The Vance was a non-licensed knock off of a Donzi hull (splashed a mold).
It was done in the San Francisco bay area and I believe a Donzi dealer many years ago in SF (Boat and Motor Mart) was involved in some manner. I remember the name of one of those involved but think it is best not to put it in this reply. I was also told that there were heated discussions and threats of lawsuits over this theft (of a boat design) but someone at Donzi told me at the time they decided not to go to court. I was given a test ride in SF bay in one and given the sales pitch that "it was the same boat, same running gear (in this case a H&M Ford/Volvo) but at a bargin price". This was about '69 or '70. I found a used '67 18 2+3 and stayed with the real thing. As an example of how to do it properly, the Cobalt "Donzis" were licensed and legal. Ed

j71vance
02-09-2006, 01:30 AM
I know this thread is old but I will reply hoping you are watching. I have a 1971 Vance it is a 18ft with 455 olds, and berkley pump. If you would like some pictures let me know.
Josh

olredalert
02-09-2006, 10:44 AM
-----Cobalt DONZI pops were never licensed by DONZI to my recollection........Bill S