PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Perf Exhaust.

HallJ
02-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Donzi Nuts,

I have an '88 Minx 350 Mag/Alpha. I would like to change exhaust after installing a different engine.

After looking at many aftermarket exhaust solutions,
it seems they all have short primary lengths compared to automotve
Applications.

I was wondering why this is?
Is it the watercooling in the manifold cooling the Exhaust gasses, constant engine speed maybe?
I could see space beeing a consideration in some applications,
but if you have the space why not install a long tube setup?
http://www.donzi.net/ubb/confused.gif

Thanks,
Jeff

HallJ
03-02-2005, 12:02 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :shocking::shocking:

Are you saying a long tube setup would be the way to go?

If money wasn't an issue

Ranman
03-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Long tube setups are available. Check CMI, Lightening etc. These will run several thousand dollars per set but are the cat's ass if you have the money. The reason is the high manufacturing costs because they have to be jacketed. Auto headers are much less $$$ because they are single tubes and not water cooled.

Stainless Marine is the best bang for the buck on a mild SBC.

Pismo
03-02-2005, 06:19 PM
There is a set of KE's on ebay for a big block tho.

BigGrizzly
03-02-2005, 06:45 PM
After much dyno testing on the dyno and real life We find that of the short tube type that Stainles Marine is superior to the rest of that design. My personal boats have CMI for one reason- on the Corsican nothing was available so they custom made them for my boat and engine. Now mu Critrtion has over 650 HP and the engine was designedaround the long tube hedders. I will say on the dyno when Stainles was in stalled just to compare my HP dropped only by 11 and that was after 5000 rpms. The other thing is that Stainles Marine always fit well. I have never have seen a bad or mis made set. I sometimes ask myself was the 11 HP worth the $4200 diffrerence in price. Next time Ill put the 4 grand in the boat and Stainless on the motor!

mphatc
03-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Randy,

What do you have on the Corsican? Are there any pictures available?

The curious want to know :cistineb:

Mario
C18-C32

Eugene Nahemow
03-02-2005, 07:15 PM
When I was pricing the CMI's for my boat the elbow tops were $3400 list and the sport tubes were $6400 list. :eek:
I went for the elbow tops.

BigGrizzly
03-02-2005, 08:06 PM
I have CMI sport tubs on my Corsican. the engine is a H&M 351 Ford Clevland. The only exhausts available were the log manifolds. I had CMI custom make the pipes. I had to send them the heads and intake to make a mock engine to fit the pipes. The look great and sound like a Nascar racer. With the Criterion has the split top tube type. I actusll drove up to Neewaw and had them make them and the silent choice while I waited. They took two days and sent me home with a polished set and a free sewet shirt.

mphatc
03-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Randy,

Do you suppose someone at CMI remembers your parts? Did they record what they built . .so that they could build another set?

Mario

gcarter
03-02-2005, 09:29 PM
I have Stainless Marine on my Minx.