PDA

View Full Version : Torque steering???

txtaz
02-26-2005, 09:27 AM
OK, Springs coming, the rain is expected to stop this week so I'm planning on getting the boat on Monday and bring it down to the new house and try to fit it in the garage.
I have one issue I have not addresed. Whenever I cut the throttle, the boat wants to turn (18c). I've gotten used to giving it rudder to keep it straight, but if I could eliminate this it would be nice. PS fluid level is fine. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thank you.
Wes

mattyboy
02-26-2005, 09:37 AM
how does it handle while underway??? any problems??
I think if you remove power quickly that is a normal reaction the 16 does it ( to the Left) well atleast mine does when I've bailed on the gas quickly, there's an art to throttling up and there's an art to throttling down too

Cuda
02-26-2005, 01:33 PM
My F20 Formula does the same thing. I think it's pretty much the nature of a single engine boat.

RedDog
02-26-2005, 01:52 PM
sounds normal if you chop the power too quickly

txtaz
02-26-2005, 02:04 PM
Matty, It handles well underway. It's only when I cut the throttle too quick that I get torque steer.
Sounds like it is acting the way it should. I'm used to hydraulic steering where you get no torque steer. This is the first power steering system I've had. Maybe I should look into a hydraulic system. Any suggestions on a full setup? I would want hydraulics from the helm to the drive. At far as I know that's the best way to go.
Thanks,
wes

TREYSTJOHN
02-26-2005, 02:34 PM
IMCO is what we use, price is lower than Latham, quality is just as good, all harware is included. www.imcomarine.com (http://www.imcomarine.com) I would suggest installing the external single or dual cylinders kit using your existing Merc valve first. If that works for your application, you will save about $2,000 and about 8hrs of install time for the helm back full hydraulic system. Keep in mind that the dual ram external system will add about 46lbs to your transom which can affect handling.

Trey

MOP
02-26-2005, 09:16 PM
Wes when you chop the throttle on a single there is a sudden reversal of the props torque. Manufacurers put the helm on one side or the other to compensate for the props torque to assist in getting the boat to ride level side to side. When you chop the throttle the weight is then on the wrong side and the boat does the standard snap roll, for a a split second or two the blades actually have an effect similar to a ruuder aqnd kick the azz to one side. The steeper the pitch the hairier it is, let off easier if possible save the snap rolls for emergencies. Hydraulic steering is no doubt the best steering but in no way will it help controll a snap roll.
Phil