PDA

View Full Version : Life is short!

MOP
02-23-2005, 10:19 PM
The Mayonnaise Jar and 2 cups of coffee...

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a
day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar..and the 2 cups of coffee...

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of
him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty
mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the
students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar.

He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar.
Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar
was full. The students responded with a unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and
poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space
between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things-your God, family, your children, your health, your friends, and your favorite passions -- things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, and
your car.

The sand is everything else -- the small stuff.

If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls.

The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small
stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal.

Take care of the golf balls first -- the things that really matter. Set your
priorities. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented. The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for
a couple of cups of coffee with a friend."

MrsDigger
02-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Ok, I made it to the 7-day mark, but I must still be an emotional mess if that post just made me cry...<sniffle> good one...

MOP
02-23-2005, 11:04 PM
That was sent to me by an old friend that retired south last year, he has always taken life as it come with a really mild attitude. Not to say he under achieved quite the contrary, not sure where he got that but I wish I could figure out how to live by it. It seems as if me and many others are on the go all of our waking hours. Definitely something to try to find the time to ponder!

Walt. H.
02-24-2005, 12:47 AM
Phil,

The version I heard the professor used beer instead of coffee,

:beer: :beer: Theres always room & time for a few beers! :beer: :beer:

Lenny
02-24-2005, 01:06 AM
Walt, that is the one I know.

Darcy, chill out, you are in good Company here, a supportive and distant family. Many of the lurkers here have been with him and succumbed to his burps and voracious appetite for Coors. :D If there IS ANYTHING, I (we as a group) can do to help, whatever, you let us know.

I had NEVER met a Marine in my life. I met him. We don't have them here. Much less anything else either :rolleyes: BUT :eek: !!! I have met "your" Digger, and he is a GREAT person. ! He makes me ponder, (when I am weak in life) where I am, what I am doing. There is a DEFINATE force in him but at the same time, a jovial, happy, party comrade. A gentleman, a boater, a "looker after all our souls" , ... next time I see him I will say this to his face, last time I didn't.

You are in Great Company in your home with him Darcy, :yes: and Great Company here.

Digger would be proud of you...

I am proud of you...even North of the 49th :yes:

Fish boy
02-24-2005, 07:08 AM
great post MOP, thanks.

Lenny, I could not have said it better.

Surfer
02-24-2005, 07:38 AM
Walked into the office with a bad day about to happen attitude this morning, thanks Phil, made me rethink things a bit.

MrsDigger
02-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Darcy, chill out, you are in good Company here, a supportive and distant family. Many of the lurkers here have been with him and succumbed to his burps and voracious appetite for Coors. :D If there IS ANYTHING, I (we as a group) can do to help, whatever the ailment, you let us know.

I have NEVER met a Marine in my life. I met him. We don't have them here. Much less anything else either :rolleyes: BUT :eek: !!! I have met "your" Digger, and he is a GREAT person. ! He makes me ponder, (when I am weak in life) where I am, what I am doing. There is a DEFINATE force in him but at the same time, a jovial, happy, party comrade. A gentleman, a boater, a "looker after all our souls" , ... next time I see him I will say this to his face, last time I didn't.

You are in Great Company in your home with him Darcy, :yes: and Great Company here.

Digger would be proud of you...

I am proud of you...even North of the 49th :yes:

Thank you so much for the words of support. I haven't hit a normal sleep cycle yet. Matthew (Digger) just flew to another base for a month or so, and I hadn't heard from him in about 48 hours. I have been getting up about 5 or 6 times a night to check emails, and since I can't sleep anyway, I usually pop over to Donzi to see what (and who) is up. When I read your post last night, Lenny, I cried. Thank you for the heartfelt sentiments, and for the wonderful words about Digger. I know he appreciates the support, even if the words sometimes embarrass him.

MOP
02-24-2005, 03:11 PM
I was a fly boy years back, My cousin Bruce went to the MC and after a few years made Marine of the year back around 1960. I knew him all of his life the change after inlisting and doing a getting around the world was truely insiring, for those that have not experianced the change in a person there is a new strength, honesty and one hell of a bck bone. Not sure how the Corp goes about it, but it really makes you feel like you have a strong dedicated individuals watching our butts! Bruce did retire from the Corp after 30 years and still maintains a shaved gorde with what little is left, I love the fact that he is still one hard azz!

Phil