PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler?

MOP
02-23-2005, 08:44 PM
I had originally planned on using an additional 11" oil cooler jumped into the system bringing the capacity to about triple, but was concerned about over cooling the oil and needing a thermostat. I was out scrounging for a late model Y pipe to match the new transom shield, got BSing with my buddy about the cooler he handed a cooler off a Pleasure Craft 502. The cooler is about double the capacity on both the oil and PS fluid, I will end up with about 8 quarts total capacity. Anyone think it may still need a thermostat for the oil cooler?

Phil

gcarter
02-23-2005, 08:58 PM
I was wondering the same thing. But since you, like myself, are closed cooling, the oil should be pretty warm with an operating temp of 190*.
But then, what do I know? :D

MOP
02-23-2005, 10:01 PM
More worried about over cooling the oil hoping to get it right the first time without using a Tsat.

Phil

Rootsy
02-24-2005, 06:56 AM
Honestly Phil, i don't think you'll get the oil very warm with the way you intend to run, etc... with that said it is a much better thing to have TOO MUCH cooling capacity than not enough. You can always put a smaller oil cooler on it at a later time if in fact you find the oil cannot get up to an acceptable operating temperature...

MOP
02-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Honestly Phil, i don't think you'll get the oil very warm with the way you intend to run, etc... with that said it is a much better thing to have TOO MUCH cooling capacity than not enough. You can always put a smaller oil cooler on it at a later time if in fact you find the oil cannot get up to an acceptable operating temperature...

Jamie that is basically the way I feel about it I run pretty easy 95+% of the time, I will be hooking a gauge up to the oil temp sender on the remote oil filter. Even when I do crank it up it is usually just for short but big smile, ya have to punch at least once or twice on each run and a tad more at an event. Just don't ride next to me there may be blades a flying LOL!

TREYSTJOHN
02-24-2005, 09:32 AM
Remember that water boils at 212, thus you should be able on hard runs to raise your oil temp to 220-240 provided you run full synthetics. We have found that most hp big blocks make best power with oil temps at about 245. If your oil stays below 210 it can not effectively vaporize any water content and oil with water content is not good. I have the 515's in my Fountain set to run at 215 at 3,500rpm, at 5,000rpm they will go to about 235 oil is Asmoil 15-40 marine. I am using stock 365 merc coolers with a crossover bypass system (no circulating pump). Temp will depend on both cooling system setup/flow as well as cooler size. In a standard Merc circulating set-up, removing the tstat will usually lower oil temps by 10-20 degrees, so set-up does make a big difference.

MOP
02-24-2005, 10:29 AM
I know about cool engine & oil temps causing white muck in the innards. John like you say it needs to be at least in the 220 + a little, I am going to stick with regular oil for awhile I am running a full roller setup. I have seen what happens from running syn to early the lifters rollers stop turning not to mention cam damage. I have mailed several syn manufacturers with varying opinions on how much time should be on the engine before the switch. I love syn it is in everything I own, the milage increase on my road stuff is amazing. My Dakota just turned 100,000 and still shows the same oil pressure as when I bought it, it is just plain great stuff. Who has the best that is a tough one, Red Line and Amsoil are the leaders in my book!

Phil

Rootsy
02-24-2005, 11:53 AM
I. My Dakota just turned 100,000 and still shows the same oil pressure as when I bought it, it is just plain great stuff. Who has the best that is a tough one, Red Line and Amsoil are the leaders in my book!

Phil

geez phil, my F150 just turned 177,000 and still has the same oil pressure as day one... i change oil every 5K and it doesn't even use any noticable amount of oil... just the puff from deteriorating valve guide seals upon start-up now and again...

heck, knock on wood i've never had a hiccup from the driveline... and i've never used anything but good ole motorcraft FL 802S filters and Valvoline 5W-30 dinosaur oil... and i still exceed sticker listed fuel milage...

go figure... must be that extra 5 lbs of air i run in my tires ;)

JR