PDA

View Full Version : could I have a bad ignition switch??

slownsx
02-21-2005, 05:16 PM
I am having a hard time getting the motor started. Battery is fully charged and checked voltage with meter. When I check voltage at the back of switch it is the same as battery until switch is turned to on position and voltage drops on meter 1.5 to 2.0 volts. When switch is in on position voltmeter in dash shows alot less than digital meter on battery. Has anybody had these problems? Am I going in the right direction with this. Anybody know ignition switch part# thanks

mattyboy
02-21-2005, 05:20 PM
does the motor turn over???
is there voltage at the coil???
is there a safety lanyard??

slownsx
02-21-2005, 05:24 PM
motor turns over good but will not fire there is power at the coil power is exactly the same at both solenoids as the battery but voltage shows difference in wire to back of gauges. When key is in on posistion voltage in dash gauge shows 11-12 but battery is 13.7 when blower is turned on gauge in dash drops to 8-10 but digital on battery does not move at all

Cuda
02-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Yes you can! I had the same problem in my old Formula. There was an old ignition switch laying in the glove compartment, so I figured this one was pretty new and MUST be good. Turns out, the switch was the problem after I did everything else because I was convinced it COULDN'T be the ignition switch. Just bypass it to check.

Cuda
02-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Now that I've reread your post, sounds more like a bad ground to me.

MOP
02-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Pretty sure Cuda has it right, being as you can get the starter to work well that shows the main engine circuit is working OK. low voltage can actuate the starter assist solenoid but still not provide enough voltage to fire the ignition, the assist solenoid makes a circuit direct to the battery for full battery voltage to the starter. Follow the harness after the plug on the engine, near the rear of the engine look for a large black wire will coming out of the harness that goes to ground, this is where I think you should find the problem. If that ground is clean and tight go and loosen the clamp on the main harness plug and pull it apart and inspect the pins and bores there should be no signs of corrosion or darkening. Note you will see they have a very thin slot, if the slots have closed the plug many times will not make a good connection. You can use a small thin blade to open the slot a couple of thousands of an inch. Do this very carefully as it is easy to break one side of the pin off, you just want to open it the tiniest bit. When new the slot has the same opening top to bottom, they close over time from leaning or stepping on the plug if the slot closes contact can be lost. If you are careful you will not break any of the pins, but if you do email me I have a fix that works.

mattyboy
02-21-2005, 07:50 PM
is it always hard to start even at operating temps???