PDA

View Full Version : It runs

gcarter
02-19-2005, 05:10 PM
I started the Minx up again today. This time I had taken care of a few issues so I was able to let it run for about 30 minutes at about 1000-1500 RPM. I found out the temp gauge doesn't work but the heat exchanger never got too hot to touch. As soon as I finish tuning it I will install the drive, probably next week.
:cool:

penbroke
02-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Coool! It's got to be a great feeling to be sooo close to done. It looks great!

Frank :beer:

Cuda
02-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Congratulations George! Throw some seats in that thing, and IF I get the Minx back, we can go on a pre Dora shakedown cruise. :)

gcarter
02-20-2005, 06:35 AM
Congratulations George! Throw some seats in that thing, and IF I get the Minx back, we can go on a pre Dora shakedown cruise. :)
Yeah Joe, we need to do that, I haven't been up the Ocklawaha River in years and I would like to do that before we go up it that weekend.

Donzigo
02-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Congrats George,

It's a great feeling to hear that beast run, isn't it?

You've have much to be proud of. What a nice job you have done!

Richard

Stix Magill
02-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Your Minx looks great. I have the same boat, but repowered before I bought it. The hose conection on the transom is still there, but not run to the engine. Where does your hose attach to the engine? I would love a pic if possible, but a description would be greatly appreciated. That system is so much better than "ears".

Let us know how the spash goes! :hyper:

Stix

gcarter
02-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Your Minx looks great. I have the same boat, but repowered before I bought it. The hose conection on the transom is still there, but not run to the engine. Where does your hose attach to the engine? I would love a pic if possible, but a description would be greatly appreciated. That system is so much better than "ears".

Let us know how the spash goes! :hyper:

Stix
While I was restoring the boat, I did a thread on sea strainers;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36014&highlight=sea+strainers
I think it pretty well covers it.
I left out the Alpha pump and installed a Johnson crank driven pump. The engine is fresh water cooled so all the raw water does is cool the steering and oil coolers, and the heat exchanger then dumps out the exhaust.
I called San Juan engineering one day and they asked me if I was using the Alpha pump. It seems the Gen I pumps don't hold up well in really warm water (80* +) as the vanes are too long (in their opinion) and they essentially stop pumping if the pump impellor gets too hot. They were glad I was using the Johnson pump.

Trueser
02-20-2005, 11:18 AM
George,
You are getting close....

Wish I could come down and share your garage.

It really looks great.

Mike

MOP
02-20-2005, 11:18 AM
I know you feeling really pumped and it is well deserved, another few hours and you should be wet! Now start planning a trip North the 1000 Islands is the place to be in July!

Phil

Cuda
02-20-2005, 11:49 AM
George, Debbie has to go to St Pete next weekend to pick up her son. I'm hoping my Minx will be ready for her to bring back. If it is, I'm sending the Formula back with her to put in the shop. I won't be able to run next weekend because I'm taking the motorcycle course.

catch 22
02-20-2005, 08:29 PM
George I wish you would get that thing going already so when I visit my folks I don't have to boat up there by myself. :D :D Seriously the boat really looks good. Let me know when you are ready to splash it and I will see if I can make it up there. :wavey: