PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new prop

jg480
02-19-2005, 04:59 PM
This week I will be swaping drives and going with my new Alpha SS :yes: . So I'm guessing that the 23p old school mercury cleaver won't work anymore. Do any of you guru's have any suggestions so that I don't have to pay my dealer $100.00 per hour to drive my boat and find one that works:angryfire . I have an 87 18' classic with a stock 270hp 350mag. Thanks.

Sam
02-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Based on my experience as well as a few others I.E. Doug Luvins and Jammie Root we all have had good luck with the Hydromotive 4 bladed props. Randy Oak also runs one on his bravo and seems to like it as well. The thing you need do first is establish a relative baseline of your current top end rpm's. If your running a stock motor and want to try a Hydromotive you will probably need to go with the following prop "Intimidator Quad IV O/T" ( www.hydromotive.com). This one has a smaller dia vs. the standard Quad 4. I'm running a 23" and turning it 5000 to 5200 depending on the air temp and water conditions.

When I was searching for the best prop for my set up I must have tried at least 8 or so different props. At the end of the day the Hydormotive gave me the best of all worlds. Once we get open water you are welcome to try mine. Since we have all gone through this before I'm sure that the other local Donzi owners will be willing to help you with prop loans/trials. Just a word of warning if you don't know this already. The Alpha SS is very prone to sucking up weeds via the low water pick ups. We can talk off line if you would like on that subject.

By the way have you given any thought to making the run to Lake Cumberland in May for the AOTH event ? If you haven't your missing the boat, no pun :biggrin: .

Sam :cartman: