PDA

View Full Version : New look for the board...

Greg K
02-19-2005, 11:49 AM
I was just here a few minutes ago and...wow...nice job Scot !

Trueser
02-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Looks great!!!!

And no down time, WOW

Thanks Scot

EWPE
02-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Wow that was seamless .It looks great ! Good job Scot.

vanstee
02-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Cool!!! Good Job!!!

Marlin275
02-20-2005, 09:38 AM
There seems to be no place for the member name next to the avatar, on the posts?

onesubdrvr
02-20-2005, 09:41 AM
There seems to be no place for the member name on the posts?I see the name at the top of each post? do you? I have some alignment issues, but it looks great, and with everything, I'm sure it's going to take a little time to work out all the bugs.

Wayne

Marlin275
02-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Is this a Mac issue?
cause there are no member names on my view.

Cuda
02-20-2005, 09:56 AM
Is it just on my end, or has the board slowed down to a crawl since the change. It was painfully slow last night, took forever for a page to load. Doesn't seem quite as bad today. Maybe it was on my end.

RedDog
02-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Works here - not sure that it is any slower.

But I hope the video, photo gallery, registery, etc are in the works to come back?

harbormaster
02-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Guy, Guy Guys.....

Give me a chance to finish it before I work the kinks out of it. ok?

Also all AVATARS WILL HAVE TO BE 90 X 90 PIXELS FROM HERE ON OUT.

THIS NEED TO BE TAKE CARE OF WITHIN THENEXT 2 WEEKS.
AFTER THAT, ALL AVATARS OVER THAT SIZE WILL BE DELETED.

As for you Mac guys, I am looking at getting a mini Mac soon in order to test registry apps for compatibility between PC and Mac users.

Sagbay32
02-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Why the change?

I must be getting old. I hate change. :banghead:

It does look nicer though. :wavey:

Mike

MOP
02-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Scot has made a massive change, the work involved would boggle most. Like anything the fine tuning takes time and effort. I think it is Fantastic and am very appreciative of the job being done!

MOP

Sam
02-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Beyond the new look are there any differences / advantages to the new format.

Sam

boxy
02-20-2005, 12:56 PM
Also all AVATARS WILL HAVE TO BE 90 X 90 PIXELS FROM HERE ON OUT.

90x81....done.
Nice work habbamasta, I love the new banner.

RacingStripe
02-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Red White and Blue, Looks Good Scot. http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/jon/smillie_flag.gif

chip w
02-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Scot, Awesome job! :beer: This is one very cool change.

Mudball
02-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Seems mucho slower, and right now the smilies to the right are hosed up.

I am running Firefox, because it's better with 'other' browsing problems.

Also, have you talked to Jeff at Speedwake, about his 'auto' picture sizing algorithms/modules?
It is nice over there in that you can upload whatever you want, and the site autosizes all images very well, even down to icons.

For me at least, it's hard to edit images to fit this site.

Anyway, the site looks OK. I like the old version just as well. It's a means to share in any event.

Thanks for hosting this site!
Kent

Mudball
02-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Also, many of the peoples' avatars no longer look right.
Mine is all squished up, for example. Like my boat is taller than it is long!!

I'll log off and fire up IE. Maybe it's Firefox.

Otherwise, very slow, so far, on a T3 equivalent connection.

Kent

boxy
02-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Mudball, it takes very little to learn how to re-size your own pics, and I don't mind having to do a little work myself if it means having the choice to support this site through donations, rather than be forced to pay to use all of the of the "other site's" features...

Mudball
02-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Boxy, I agree. I have not had a chance to donate to this site, yet. I Will!

SW lets you buy good products as it's way of support. OSO, not so, only money.
This site is one that I have not figured out yet, as I don't come here very often.
===
I was only posting my observations with the new look, image, and speed issues.

Manually resizing images to a certain size and aspect ratio for upload is a PITA, though.
===
It's when all of a sudden the aspect ratio is hosed, that it matters. I looked around and now am posting this with IE this time, and most avatars (not all) are hosed up.

The Firefox browser is far worse. Right now, the smilie choices at the right, as I write this, are normal. With Firefox, they are hosed up.
===
I was only throwing out the idea that if the list owner could perhaps look into getting that module that allows auto-resizing of images. It should be an easy plug in to the forum software, and it should exist. I would hope for free.

Again, I was just making an observation.

Take care,
Kent

boxy
02-20-2005, 09:42 PM
No worries Kent, I've been playing with the aspect ratio of the avatars a little bit, so far it seems if you try to maintain the original ratio, and make it say 90x72 the new software resizes it to 90x90. I'm sure Scot will have it working in no time.
This site is run solely by Scot, with no set user fees charged for anything, so resizing pics also helps minimize bandwidth.
Check out the the site, we are a small, loyal group of enthusiasts, I'm sure you'll like it here.

harbormaster
02-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Kent, a small part of the problem here with the avatars are that this site has been around since 1999 whereas, others have not. I deal with a lot of legacy info and imagesl. As for auto-resizing images, I did not set up to resize images on the board automatically because there are times that someone might want to upload a alarge schematic or drawing.

With that said, Email me your detailed suggestion and I will see if I can oblige.

harbormaster
02-20-2005, 10:06 PM

I have imposed the 90 x 90 avatar restriction because they were slowly getting out of hand.
(Too big of dimensions). Now your avatar will be distorted if you do not change it to 90 x 90. Its now in the hands of the users..

Speed issues.

This new design for some reason is slow as crap! I am working on it. If I can't speed it up, then I will kill this design.

Once again Bear with me.

Tony
02-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Great work, Scott, and thanks for all the time it takes to do this.

ToonaFish
02-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Once again Bear with me.

Aw, Scot, we'd even bare with you! Thank you again for all you do to keep us dazed on Donzis...

Bunches,

Celene "slow can be fun too"

Walt. H.
02-20-2005, 11:08 PM
H.M. Scot,
My Avatar is also kind of distorted and taller looking, I checked and it is right on the money of 90X90. Should I try making it small still?

Ps, For what its worth I still miss the old look before the one that has just been changed.

Walt

harbormaster
02-20-2005, 11:35 PM
OK kids, I flushed the new design down the toilet. Not worth it.

MrsDigger
02-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Aw, Scot, we'd even bare with you! Thank you again for all you do to keep us dazed on Donzis...

Bunches,

Celene "slow can be fun too"Not all of us would "bare" with Celene...but...your hard work is definitely appreciated by those of us who prefer to remain clothed...:p

Lenny
02-21-2005, 01:32 AM
Cuda, how come you got time to wait for the pages to load?... Aren't you laying tile :)

Just a joke... lucky I am too far away for you to smack me :)

Fish boy
02-21-2005, 06:36 AM
OK kids, I flushed the new design down the toilet. Not worth it.

Either one works just fine for me, thanks for giving it a shot.

Fish

Marlin275
02-21-2005, 06:54 AM
Good work Scot,
It was like like a bad dream
No Donzi on the site and sunset colors
What a difference a logo makes!
The site was slow, real slow
Also I didn't see any new improvements
Change is good if you really get something in return. :biggrin.: :shades:

harbormaster
02-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Marlin, like I was trying get across to everyone else who was complaining,
I was not finished and was barely started.

When I do these things they just don't finish at the snap of a finger.
You have to reserve judgement until they are done.

And there was a donzi on the header.

mattyboy
02-21-2005, 08:07 AM
I'm at work now and the board is back to the old format????

Scot really what ever is easier for you doesn't matter to me both work fine for me, and as we see you'll never please everybody,, :rolleyes:

I don't need no stinkin avatars or resized pics, just give me a weenie bar thread, a gas tank thread and the donzi girls and I am happy :yes: oh and maybe a geo video :)

thanks for all you do :yes:

Richard Rees
02-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Harbormaster.A.K.A. John Kerry, HE's Filp Flopping on us.