PDA

View Full Version : STAINLESS MARINE exhaust ? here's a new one...

Lenny
02-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Anyone EVER seen these before?

Now I don't think they have a "World First" here, building exhaust in Stainless :rolleyes: but they do look interesting.

I wonder if anyone has ever flowed one and done comparisons? Clean look tho. Looks like they are 3" internal.

http://www.stainless.moonfruit.com/

gcarter
02-18-2005, 05:32 PM
I only see one water inlet so it would be difficult to use on closed cooling complete systems.

olredalert
02-18-2005, 05:46 PM
-------The description leaves me a bit confused as it says Chevrolet diesel applications and the header flange is clearly small block. When has any small-block ever been converted to a diesel.............Bill S

gcarter
02-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Wasn't the GM car diesels of the early 80's considered converted 5.7 liter engines?

olredalert
02-18-2005, 06:44 PM
------Yup, George, They were but they were posatively Oldsmobile derived blocks and heads. Exhaust ports would not have been anywhere near the same as whats shown. Besides which they were notorious under performers and although Im not sure, I dont think they were ever used in a marine application.........Bill S

MOP
02-18-2005, 07:20 PM
I only see one water inlet so it would be difficult to use on closed cooling complete systems.

George no need to include S/S headers in the system they are not going to rot like Alum or Iron, also will allow more reserve cooling for the block.

Phil

MOP
02-18-2005, 07:31 PM
I wonder if they are similar to the Aussie ones that Broque bought, they are a tube type header sort of simliar in outward appearences. I wonder about the tube thickness from the block plates to the header which tend to crack should be cooled also, and how far up inside the exhaust outlet the water discharge is!

Phil

Lenny
02-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Other than all that you have said already above, it looks like the risers head out of town towards the transom at about 40 degrees. That is going to be a handfull with a 12 degree transom and long tubes to boot.

MOP
02-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Mop, you still need to cool the risers if for no other reason than you skin's safety...

Should have made it a little clearer, they are not needed as part of the F/S cooling "system" but just the outlets for the sea water "circut"! Thats how I was taught one is a system and one is a circut.

Can't drop my drink and think!