PDA

View Full Version : I fired up the Minx todeay!!!

gcarter
02-16-2005, 06:04 PM
This afternoon I towed the Minx to my engine builder and we fired it up.
We had the usual water leaks, after all this was the first time I had water pressure on the raw water side.
The only big issue was, I had fabricated a copper fuel line with double flares on both ends, and these were leaking. I fabricated this line four times before I was satisfied with it.
The flares look OK, but they still leak. My flare tools are new Snap On.
What am I missing?
Is there any secrets I need to know about.

By the way, it sounded good. :smash:

MOP
02-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Hot Damn! Great news!

MOP
02-16-2005, 06:23 PM
The flares look OK, but they still leak. My flare tools are new Snap On.
What am I missing?
Is there any secrets I need to know about.

George something I do and seems to work 100%, I take #220 grit shape it to fit into the flair and give it a few twists. It give the surface something to bite on, obviouly you need to blow the lines out but I am pretty sure that will cure it. Sealers of any type are taboo bit and pieces end up in bad places.

Phil

Rootsy
02-16-2005, 06:27 PM
Are sure your flare is the correct angle?

what kind of fitting and furrel are you using?

does your snap-on tool do a double walled flare or just a single? if the flared surface is rough at all it'll most likely leak.

JR

gcarter
02-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Jamie, double wall. I crimped it all the way down. In both cases, it screws into a female reverse flare fitting.
So the male nuts are on the tube behind the flare. No separate sleeve.
The material is copper. My engine builder said he has better results by not completely compressing the flare on the tool but allowing the fitting do it.

Sam
02-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Gee thanks George, you know what I did today. Bought more window washer solvent and shook out the salt from my car matts. Can you blame me for being bitter, I mean come on, gray skies cold winds and no Donzi to cuddle up with. Ok I'll quite being a cry baby............well at least for the rest of today.

I sure hope you bring that Minx to Lk Cumberland this spring. We would all love to see the finial outcome, good luck. :D

Sam :kyle:

onesubdrvr
02-16-2005, 06:58 PM
Congratulations,

Almost there, can you feel the water misting on your face yet?

Wayne

gcarter
02-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Gee thanks George, you know what I did today. Bought more window washer solvent and shook out the salt from my car matts. Can you blame me for being bitter, I mean come on, gray skies cold winds and no Donzi to cuddle up with. Ok I'll quite being a cry baby............well at least for the rest of today.

I sure hope you bring that Minx to Lk Cumberland this spring. We would all love to see the finial outcome, good luck. :D

Sam :kyle:
Sam, this is Florida, I can't do anything about it.
But it was 76* and clear today!!!!
By the way, your fellow "MADDOG" OR "MADCOW" or what ever you call yourselves, Brad Lyon is down here now and Elaine and I are having dinner with them tomorrow night.

Cuda
02-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Fantastic George! I can't wait to see it at Dora.

Cuda
02-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Did you get the windshield on?

RickR
02-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Way to GO!!! :biggrin:

gcarter
02-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Fantastic George! I can't wait to see it at Dora.
I can't either!!!!! :) :biggrin: :alligator

Fish boy
02-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Great News George!!! Hope you get the flare thing with the male nuts on the tube all worked out... not sure what it is but sounds like it could painful. LOL Seriously, every time I see a new post stating yet another step closer to you splashing, I am happy for you. Can't wait to see the minx at dora.

fish

gcarter
02-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Did you get the windshield on?
No, not yet. I still need to clean it, and repaint the black "mask" on the inside.
It's probably third or fourth on my list. I still haven't put the drive on yet.