PDA

View Full Version : Another what is it!

MOP
02-16-2005, 01:57 PM
I had this little Do Dad in my hands awhile back, kind of interesting and now hidden!

onesubdrvr
02-16-2005, 02:00 PM
I had this little Do Dad in my hands awhile back, kind of interesting and now hidden!Phil,

Looks like a cam button for a roller cam,....Cloyes pt# 120-02 (I Think) I just put one of those in my engine :biggrin:

Is that what you've been praying for, to find that?

Wayne

Ed Donnelly
02-16-2005, 05:04 PM
That is either a widget or a thingamajig ...........Ed

Fish boy
02-16-2005, 05:09 PM
I had this little Do Dad in my hands awhile back, kind of interesting and now hidden!

Robo-cops robo manhood?? LOL :rlol: Just kidding MOP :)

Rootsy
02-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Phil,

Looks like a cam button for a roller cam,....Cloyes pt# 120-02 (I Think) I just put one of those in my engine :biggrin:

Is that what you've been praying for, to find that?

Wayne

and the regazza wins this one ;)

come on phil... give us something more difficult next time ;)

onesubdrvr
02-16-2005, 06:37 PM
and the regazza wins this one ;)

come on phil... give us something more difficult next time ;)(tears in eyes)

I'd like to thank all the people that made this possible, Rootsy for getting me excited about me having a roller block, Jegs for sending my parts out on time, and all those donzi owners out there

DONZI'S FOREVER

BERTRAM BOY
02-16-2005, 07:07 PM
You're all wrong..... it's a gonkulator valve.

pmreed
02-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Bertram Boy's right!! The gonkulator valve regulates the motivator in the Wonkivator!! ;)

Phil

Walt. H.
02-17-2005, 12:37 AM
Its a Crane Roller Cam button for any type of cam when using a roller timing chain.
I have one in my flat tappet solid lifter L88 motor since march of 1972 in my 68' retired race car pictured below. :checkered

olredalert
02-17-2005, 11:39 AM
--------Hey Walt,,,,That plastic car ever been near "Motions" overhead doors back in the day? It has that look!!!!!!!.........Bill S

Craig S
02-17-2005, 12:28 PM
That "Phase III Baldwin-Motion stripe really looks tough!

Walt. H.
02-18-2005, 02:00 AM
Thanks Bill & Craig,

You both have a good memory and eyes!
Except Its not one of Motions cars or from Baldwin Chevrolet, but I would have to say yes to being out at 598 Sunrise Hyw, Baldwin, L I. but only once to be suckered into having them do a dyno tune when I was 17.
Here's the scoop I only had the car for a few weeks I bought it when it was 1-1/2 yr's old and it was a plain forest green car with a stock 427/435 h/p tri power, square port 4-bolt main solid lifter motor with a 4-spd. All I got for my money was a set of Mr Gasket lighter distr, springs installed, cut & plug the vacuum adv, line and adv the timing. They never pulled the distr to actually rework the adv, curve on there sun distributor machine nor did it ever get run on the chassis dyno as claimed.

A year later I was working for a competitive speed shop in B'klyn, NY or at least we thought we we're competitors and better then them. Anyway I was working for 1/2 salary and building the car beyond what you see it today, as a track only but still street legal car, well almost.
Now here's the part that sucks, Bill believe me when I tell you that I came up with those stripes and side panals first with a buddy of mine that owned a body shop at least 8 months before Motion started advertising in all the Hot Rod magazines their new "Phase-3 cars with their so called phase 3 stripes. At the time I had my design stripes painted they did have a "Phase 3" Camaro & Vette but not with my style stripping, just the stock Z-28 dual panels stripes. What Joel Rosen did "Mr Motion" as he called himself was widen my paint section by 3 inches forward where it came down by the rear bumber and added a tapered stripe on the side going forward toward the door handle that my design doesn't have, and I still think my design has a cleaner look.

They say imitation is the best form of flattery, but I was pissed off for many years back then to be constantly ask "is that a Motion Performance Car?" No! :splat: I built that friggen car myself and they stole my paint scheme I would say. :banghead: :rlol:

They ripped alot of people off big and small. We had a few customers that thought they had bought open chambered 454 engines and had them installed, only to find out that what they really had was a closed chambered motor with open chambered heads. You want to talk about a drop in the compression ratio and a few extra c.c's in the combustion chamber! They didn't care about losing repeat business, they had an endless supply of new customers every day for many years.

Heres a few pic's of me as a kid working on my boss's A/MP 65 Corvette out @ NY. National Speedway in Centermoriches L I. 1972 or 73' i'm on the left in two photos wearing the goofy sun glasses and climbing in in another pic.

Sorry to ramble on for a while but the memories came back! :bonk:

Thanks,

Walt

Walt. H.
02-18-2005, 02:48 AM
Heres a look back in the days when rev limiters gave more grief then they we're worth and us real drag racers would run without them. :crossfing :garfield:
Heres what it looks like when you missed a shift! and you rev'ed a big block like a small block. :splat:
Them pistons made great expensive designer workshop ashtrays and conversation pieces :bonk: , my only regret to giving up cigarettes is that I can't use my collection. :rlol:

ToonaFish
02-18-2005, 06:54 AM
in my 68' retired race car. :checkered

Good golly, Walt, that thing looks like it deserves a speeding ticket just sitting still! Beautiful!

Fish boy
02-18-2005, 07:14 AM
I'm with toona. :D

mattyboy
02-18-2005, 07:39 AM

if you don't stop it you'll go blind

:rlol: :jestera: :tongue:

Craig S
02-18-2005, 07:53 AM
or shave his palms.

MOP
02-18-2005, 08:10 AM
if you don't stop it you'll go blind

:rlol: :jestera: :tongue:

Caught!

olredalert
02-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Walt,

-------Sometime I have to figure out my scanner. We actually disconnected it a while back.
-------I bought a 69 Riverside Gold 435 new and immediatly took it to Jegs when Jeg had a little, tiny office right inside the front door of his speed shop. They put the headers on then the 67 tri-power intake for better flow (With an L-88 hood) and went completely thru the ignition setup as well as just about everything else. When I got the car back it was very strong.
-------Took it to my local body work buddy and (I promise this is the truth) had him put on exactly the same stripe as yours.. Looked bitchin with the L88 hood and 8 and 10 ansen slots and firestone roadracing tires.
-------Shortly after that I dropped out of Ohio U as I thought I was going to get drafted. Decided to go to Florida and have some fun for the little time I had left. After moving a time or two to confuse the draft board I went for my physical convinced I was going to die and promptly flunked the physical.
-------During all that time I was street-racing my butt off all over south Florida. Never lost a race, but gained one of the longest arrest records in Fla.! 6 pages before I grew some common sense and figured out I might actually live to see 25.
-------I have always thought Motion was over-rated. Just another speed shop with an overgrown rep. Dont tell the guys over at the Super-car website though. They think Joel walks on water. Go to the Barrett/Jackson website and pull up this years results and you will find a 69 Baldwin-Motion gold coupe. It sold for a bit over $200,000. I post over on the Supercar website all the time but dont ever bad-mouth Mr. Rosen anymore.
-------Love your Vette. What kind of power does it have today?............Bill S

Lenny
02-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Walt, neat post. Red, yours' too.

I think I will have to rent American Graffiti again.

Walt. H.
02-19-2005, 02:44 AM
Thanks Toona, thanks Fish, you got me to smile with that compliment!

Lenny Rent the movie "Hollywood knights" more cars to see and better tunes to hear.

Bill,

I have to say thanks for sharing your past and for taking me back to some of those great forgotten memories and a few nightmares that should stay forgotten! I think you know i'm referring to the scary mishaps and the legal hassles with the law.

Bill thank you for the praise, its been many years since i've talked in detail about the old girl. Years ago I wouldn't answer the question "whats under da hood", you know we would always play it down and never tell. Without getting to boring in details plus i've forgotten somethings without that spec sheet and my log book, so heres the answer to your question:

It still has a reworked 2:64 to 1 wide ratio muncie crash box and a Hurst comp/plus shortened shifter. The 4:88 rear-end assy has been replaced with comfortable highway cruising 3;55 center section. The engine has the alum, open-chambered heads, 427 .060 over bore forged alum TRW open chambered pistons, with full floating wrist pins, Steel crank, cast iron L-88 Big block, 8qt oil pan that has replaced my larger almost ten qt, pan for ground clearance reasons.

To allow the engine to be able to be streetable and to run on todays ****ty low octane the 1050 cfm dominator and the weiand intake has been replaced with a 780 cfm Holley with vacuum secondaries on a alum hi-rise manifold with the open center plenum area closed off for better low end response at slower rpm roll off's for legal acceleration from the traffic lights etc. The Excel dual point distributor ign curve rate and the total adv has also been limited due to octane limits, we don't want it to ping.
This use to be a 14-1 compression ratio motor so I replaced the .020 compressed head gaskets with either the .030 or .040 compressed gaskets.

The exh still runs thru a set of Hooker Headers 2-1/8" X 32" tubing into a 3-1/2" X18" collector, then the pipes are routed back around and into a cut-down set of the old style factory chambered off the road side pipes. A Lakewood steel scatter-shield bell housing and block protector contains a Hays 11" steel billet flywheel and a 11" Hays three finger long style Ford pressure plate with a 10" perfection American (Zoom) clutch disc.

From age 18 to 53 next month, damm this car has kept me young! :boggled: In present engine trim setup she won't pull the front wheels off the ground anymore, but she'll still scare most anything I pull up next too. Except a gas pump!! :yes:
I better stop here its getting late and it'll be morning soon.

Walt :wavey:

olredalert
02-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Walt,

------Thanks for the walk-thru! It looks as if you still have half-shafts in there. I know what I used to do, but would love to hear what you figured out. If its a nine inch or Dana or something I will understand. Ive seen enough pretzels over the years, if you know what I mean...............Bill S

Walt. H.
02-20-2005, 02:45 AM
Bill,
I sure do know what you mean, I to have seen and repaired many a customer's rear well compartment especially the battery side when a halfshaft exploded a "U" joint or its yoke. I've broken a few center carriers inhalf myself among other things, having 6 "u" joints with a standard shift car is like playing "russian roulette with an auto loading pistol", your going to bang something every time. :banghead:

Currently in place back there for the past number of years is just a stock rear posi assy out of a 71' with 3:55 gears, (nice on the highway) and all new bushings but with my 11 leaves leaf spring and I don't beat up on the car anymore so I drive it like it has a Alpha-1 back there. Unless some asshole thinks he's got something, then the "gloves come off" and I wish I still had my 4:88 rear set-up back in place but that hasn't happened in a while. :wink:

P.s, What the heck happened to the page appearance here today total different look. :confused:

Walt