PDA

View Full Version : Jack Screws? Help!

DJ13
02-15-2005, 06:29 PM
Anyone know where to source the jack screws used to prop a boat off it's trailer? No one seems to know where to get them, I guess it's because it's kind of difficult to describe. I've seen boats displayed with them when the trailer is a separate deal. They are also common at boat yards but I tried Lieb's and Dockside, but can't get an lead. I'm trying to get my boat off it's trailer to work on it, and that's about the only solution I can come up with.
Any help would be appreciated! :confused:

Jamesbon
02-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Been there....done that....ended up using concrete/wood blocks and the old trusty K-Mart hydraulic bottle jack.

Basically, you set the jack on blocks, then jack up that corner of the hull and block it. Next, remove the jack and do the same to the other side, then block up again and move the jack to the third corner, do it again and finally jack up and block the fourth corner. Once there, the hull will be off of the trailer and you can roll the the trailer forward till it hits the "blocked up assembly" you previously created. At this point you can "jack up again" move your stationary blocks behind the trailer crossmember and do it all over again. It's time consuming, but works just fine.

Hope this helps!

I'll find out where we ( www.BayWayMarine.com ) purchased our jack screws from and post her in the AM. I think they're around $250.00 a piece???

Really, a bunch of blocks, a little time & patience and a bottle jack sould do the trick...

...at one point I was in a pinch and used my old high school Radio Shack speakers as blocks :) This was only for the empty bare hull though....

hope this helps :)

Forrest
02-16-2005, 02:18 PM
They are called boat stands and they can be oreded through West Marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=766&keyword=boat+stands&storeId=10001&storeNum=4&subdeptNum=554&catalogId=10001&langId=-1) and are well worth the money.

Cool speakers Nate!

DJ13
02-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks all, my terminology was off. That really hindered my web research! Great input, I've got a starting point now.

Jamesbon
02-16-2005, 06:23 PM
Ditto what Forrest said. west marine gets them from "Port Supply." I learned today that they're around $90.00 ea.

Hope that helps!

MOP
02-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Terminology Smerminology! We have about 400 out in the yard never heard them called anything but Jack Stands.

Phil