PDA

View Full Version : I have a anchor question?

dayboaterwannabe
02-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Hello. I have been on here looking but never posted.. So here it goes... My husband bought a 2000 Donzi ZX 26' Last year and has asked for a boat anchor for our anniversary.. What kind (only the best for him) ;) .. and weight and where could I find one online? Thanks in advance for any help!

Ranman
02-15-2005, 12:51 PM
If you just want a trouble free anchor for day boating that WORKS, go with one of these.

http://www.boxanchor.com/box.asp

It imay not be what you expected, but they are the best. For confirmation, do a search on "box anchor" here or on OSO or speedwake. Good luck.

JimG
02-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Fortress FX-11

Sam
02-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Having spent many a night on the hook answering these questions first might just save you some trouble.

1. What type of bottom are you anchoring in.

2. How are you going to store the anchor.

3. Is there going to be any overnight anchoring.

Sam

daboys
02-15-2005, 02:01 PM
regardless of the anchor you will not be happy if you don't anchor properly. Add at least 3' of heavy chain to the anchor, do not attach an anchor line directly to the anchor, rather attach teh line to the cahin and the chanin to the anchor - the weight of the chain will keep the anchor along the bottom. Most importantly - follow the 7' rule. For every 1' of water depth use 7' of anchor line. :eek:

dayboaterwannabe
02-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Having spent many a night on the hook answering these questions first might just save you some trouble.

1. What type of bottom are you anchoring in.
2. How are you going to store the anchor.
3. Is there going to be any overnight anchoring.
Thanks

Sam

1. Bottom is a man made lake...
2. I just assumed where the compartment is in the front for the anchor.. but then I could always be wrong..hehe
3. No overnite.. just hanging out during the day..

THANKS

Ranman
02-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Add at least 3' of heavy chain to the anchor, do not attach an anchor line directly to the anchor,

This does not apply to a box anchor, which is one of it's benefits.

I don't think a box anchor would store well in an anchor locker located in the nose of the boat. If you plan to store in the nose of the boat a danfourth style is most likely what you are looking for. Get the biggest the locker will hold, use high quaslity heavy chain (3' as suggested) and wire tie the 2 shackles. You may want to consider an aluminum danfourth style anchor. These are MUCH easier to handle but are relativly expensive also.

JimG
02-15-2005, 03:38 PM
You may want to consider an aluminum danfourth style anchor. These are MUCH easier to handle but are relativly expensive also.

Right on, Randy. That would be the Fortress or it's cheaper cousin the Guardian. Both good anchors.

Fish boy
02-15-2005, 04:25 PM
2. I just assumed where the compartment is in the front for the anchor.. but then I could always be wrong..hehe

THANKS

OK, this is probably not the answer you are looking for, but just keep it in the back of your mind after you get what ever anchor you decide.

I have been doing a lot more lake boating over the past few years. There is no current and basically the boat just needs to not drift away. On the lakes, I use a piece of PVC about 4ft long cut on an angle on the bottom, with a rope fixed to the top. Jam the pipe into the soft bottom on a slight angle, tie it to the boat and the boat does not move. Easy to deploy, easy to retrive, roll the rope around the pipe when done and stow it away. Less than a couple of lbs total, wont chip the fiberglass either.

Not high tech and not CG approved, but it works.

Sam
02-15-2005, 06:32 PM

THANKS

Based on what you discribed a danfourth style shoud do the trick. Look at the mfg's chart for the suggested size. I always went to the next size up just for a little extra bite. What ever you do don't skimp on the line. Buy a good quality three strand line, I would go with a 5/8 dia. Due to the relative light wheight of the danforth style use 3' of chain at the anchor end as a bare minumum.

Sam