PDA

View Full Version : GAS Problem

Fish boy
02-14-2005, 09:57 AM
OK, I am getting closer to getting the fish boat back in the water, but 2 steps forward 3 steps back has been my M.O. :( Anyway, next issue to deal with is the fuel in my tank.

I have approximately 40 gallons of premixed, gas/oil in my tank and now have an EFI motor which uses a oil injection system. DOn't think I can run the tank gas which BTW is always extra rich (35-40:1 rather than 50:1) and probably crappy since I got it at hillbilly Willy's gas and worms on the suwannee river and it is about 8 months old.

Any ideas what to do with the gas?

thanks,

fish

pmreed
02-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Contact a local yard or landscape equipment supplier who caters to the pro trade. Or contact a yard service you know. Let'em know it's available. A busy yard service could burn that up much gas in a week in their blowers, edgers and trimmers.

Phil

Donzigo
02-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Call Dirk of Dirk's Lawn Service. He & Jeannie live in Gulfport and do almost every lawn on my street. They are worthy folks and don't make a bundle of dough. I'm sure they would appreciate the fuel, and they are close to you.

Dirk & Jeannie
727-343-9728

pmreed
02-14-2005, 10:30 AM
OK, fish camp on the river with a bunch of old 9.9s and wooden skiffs. :cool:

Phil

GarDog
02-14-2005, 11:29 AM
If it were me I would go by a local quick lube and slip the guy 20 bucks and have them pump it out into their holding tanks. That will be taken away by saftyclean and recycled later. That is what I do with all of my wast oils.

GB

BUIZILLA
02-14-2005, 12:03 PM
give it to the yard guy, he can dilute it further and use it for any 2 cycles they have, those things tun on shaving cream anyways.. :umbrella:

Team Hula Girl
02-15-2005, 11:27 PM
How big is your tank? if it's substantially bigger than the 40 gallons of left over fuel you can just fill it up and dilute the old stuff. A little bit of oil in your gas isn't going to hurt anything but your spark plugs.

Jamesbon
02-16-2005, 06:43 AM
Why not top her off and run it all through the motor?

Or siphon it out and run it in your car. I've done that plenty of times, doesn't hurt a thing.

Fish boy
02-16-2005, 07:02 AM
thought about running it through, but the gas is about 9 months old and I think it is 87 octane which was the only thing available at this little hillbilly bait shop on the suwannee. since it is a new motor, just did not want to run crappy, old, low octane gas through it that has a lot more oil in it than the motor needs. probably being too anal, worst case scenario is I could ask budmann to bring his tow rope... LOL

MOP
02-16-2005, 07:27 AM
9 months is a bit long but why not dilute it with 89 reducing the mixture and upping the octane, you won't be hammering it for atleast 10-15 hours. But as far as oil in injection OB's, my yard is a Yami dealer they put 50 gal of fuel and 1 gal Yami oil in the tank during break in as insurance. I know a few other dealers that do the same thing.

Phil

Mr X
02-16-2005, 07:29 AM
Jody,
you are correct........dont run it in the new engine or anything you own, give it away or dispose of it properly :rolleyes:

Fish boy
02-16-2005, 09:30 AM
Jody,
you are correct........dont run it in the new engine or anything you own, give it away or dispose of it properly :rolleyes:

Any suggestions as to how or where?

BTW, Appley did a great job on the transome plate. But, I went back yesterday to get a transome bracket made for the STV and the guy he put me with said they would not be able to even look at it until saturday, then it will be a few days till done. Know anyone else who can do work like appley around here?

Jamesbon
02-16-2005, 12:36 PM
If you want, I'll take away as much as i can fit in my cans and run through the Rabco...

Think I have tanks for 20-25 gallons...in two trips we should be able to empty her...

lemme know 458 9721

Fish boy
02-16-2005, 05:04 PM
nate, you are welcome to it, the boat is on park street and you can help your self. call me when you want to get it and I will give you the address.