PDA

View Full Version : crimp wire ends with shrink wrap on them

harbormaster
02-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Does anyone have an online source for crimp wire ends with the shrink wrap encorporated on them?

I recall a brand name "Ankor"?

gcarter
02-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Scot, I can't answer your question, but.....
having just finished wiring the Minx, I found it quite a bit cheaper to use uninsulated terminals and shrink tubing. One of the problems I encountered using the shrink fittings was splitting the insulation while crimping. I also found I could a better job of crimping with the plain terminals.
I was able to find the plain terminals at the local Ace Hardware store.

DonziNUTS
02-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Try http://www.tiewraps.com/connectorpage.html

Mike

JimG
02-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Get with CAPTWK. He bought TONS of those from Blackburns Marine. He has an account there...

CaptWK
02-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Scott I can get you all the Anchor fittings you need at wholesale price. Jim and Spencer are on my account also for purchases. Call any of us when your ready.

txtaz
02-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Scot, The best way to do electrical connections that last:
Get bare connectors (no shrink or plastic) go to Altex and get bulk shrink wrap. Crimp the ends and then solder using the heat bridge method. Shrink wrap over it. Takes longer but lasts. BTW, put the shrink on before crimping.
Wes
BTW, If you really want to be anal, use silver solder. When it oxidizes, the oxidation is conductive.

vette53
02-16-2005, 10:32 PM
The best shrink made as far as I'm concerned is "RAYCHEM". They have a type that has a redish gup on the inside of the shrink that melts as you heat it and seals the wire and insulation great. The outside of the tubing is coded with the the diameter that it will shink down to. I've been using in the nuclear business for years.

turbo2256
02-17-2005, 07:18 AM
The best shrink made as far as I'm concerned is "RAYCHEM". They have a type that has a redish gup on the inside of the shrink that melts as you heat it and seals the wire and insulation great. The outside of the tubing is coded with the the diameter that it will shink down to. I've been using in the nuclear business for years.

The only other thing I would mention here is be shure the wire material (copper wire tinned is the best) matches the material of the ends. In salt water enviroments especially if their material is dissimilar they will corrode. Also solider them. The pounding a boat takes wiring needs more than a crimp.

txtaz
02-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Vette, Your in the Nuc biz? I was Nuc in the Navy for 9 years. I'd like to chat with you. My new email is on my profile if you would like.
Wes

rag top man
02-22-2005, 04:08 AM
Hey Vette and TxTaz!!!! Nuclear Power here too!!(Diablo Canyon Power Plant, Calif :nuke: ) email me, both of you, I'd love to chat. glriley@pacbell.net
Harbormaster: use uninsulated butt splices and ring lugs, soldered, Raychem heat shrink (the goop is a glue to keep moisture out, a great idea) and if you have any questions, email me, I can explain both the soldering and Raychem installation techniques, its a piece a cake.