PDA

View Full Version : Free VoIP

McGary911
02-13-2005, 07:22 AM
When free internet voice service came around about 3 years ago, I played with a few programs\services and realized, this was a technology that wasn't quite ready for prime time yet. With services such as Vonage pretty widespread these days, maybe it was time for another look.

Yesterday, I gave it another shot. I downloaded the client from http://www.skype.com/ and WOW. This thing works really well. I tested it with a friend in Cali, and the delay that has plagued these services in the past is unnoticeable. We both tuned tv to a live bcast, and I could barely notice a delay. They say delays of .25 seconds or more start to mess with conversation, and this was much less. Both ends of the conversation need the software installed, and the interface is similar to an IM program. You can call a land line phone with the service, for about $.02 \ min, which is where the service makes their $$$. Still a good deal if you call far away.

My dad said a few people he knows use it in Iraq to keep in touch. If anyone has a kid in school, this thing could come in handy. They say it works with 33.6+ dial up, but i havent heard of anyone try it yet.....NO spyware either!

vgraham882
02-13-2005, 09:33 AM
I have been using it for about a year. It's great. I have a son in NJ and one in college on Long Island we conference regularly. We also communicate with suppliers in New Zealand and Europe with it.

boxy
02-14-2005, 04:35 PM
cool link, i just used the VoIP to land line to call my Dad in Fort Myers. Works great, and is a great deal at 2 cents a minute.

mattyboy
02-15-2005, 08:08 AM
yes the technology has gotten better and for residential or personal use VOIP is cheap and the voice quality is ok
but some things to keep in mind are

VOIP needs to have QOS enabled across all ( IP )networks the call passes basically your call is a data packet with everyones web surfing data, voip needs to be put at the head of the line that's what QOS does
some common prat falls are your ISP routers and or your home router don't handle this, so when their network is idle the call quality is fine when their network is busy or you're downloading that 20 meg Geo video you sound like chewbacca with the hiccups
data packets can be retransmitted voice packets can't so you say hello hello hello ,can you hear me, say again??

when you use one carrier and you stay on their network and they provide QOS the call quailty is ok

We have installed many VOIP systems for our customers and those that have either controlled networks or point to point IP connections love it the ones using it over the web are not so happy or should I say they're happy when it works??

and just remember as more and more people use this technology you'll be fighting more VOIP packets to be at the head of the line??

also voice compression, silence compression, jitter time need to be considered damn I came here to get a way from work :rolleyes: ;)
If anyone has any questions drop me an email

txtaz
02-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Yup, What Matty said. That's why I didn't go with Vonage in the new house.
Wes

Doug G
02-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Exactly what did Matty say?? :confused: :rlol:

mattyboy
02-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Exactly what did Matty say?? :confused: :rlol:

I thought it was pretty clear ;) :) :confused: :rlol:

McGary911
02-16-2005, 10:53 AM
I thought it was pretty clear ;) :) :confused: :rlol:
He makes it sound as if IM at work :D I'm currently involved in a QoS rollout that will evetually hit about 1500 production routers with the thought of using VoIP for my firm's voice communications. With the QoS in place and our own piece of AT&T's frame relay network i'm curious to see how well it works in our pilot sites.

Back to the SKYPE thing. It must be easy to install, because last night aroud 10pm my computer rang........yep, my mom had read my email and got it running on her own. Sounded great once she got the mic plugged into the right place

mattyboy
02-16-2005, 11:06 AM
McGary,
depending on the equipment you use Cisco, 3com,nortel, Avaya or Nec I think you'll be pretty happy for a company with an existing WAN it saves a ton of money
OS 12.0 or higher on the cisco routers learned that the hard way