PDA

View Full Version : Variable pitch prop

slownsx
02-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Anyone here running variable pitch or shifting props on their 18 classics or other? My neighbor just installed one on his checkmate and what a world of difference before and after. Any advice?

MOP
02-14-2005, 08:06 AM
I have seen them tried on a few boats with pretty decent results, they do for the "average" guy make the boat perform better through the lower to mid ranges. But the trade off is some loss of some top end. If you ski it may be a nice addition but for running hard and having fun you can not beat a fixed prop. If you watch the threads you will see many of the members spending a ton of time to get the boat to do its very best with the correct wheel for their combo.

Phil

turbo2256
02-14-2005, 08:43 AM
I have a land and sea torq shift prop. It is the biggest they make a 25/32 takes a big bloc say around 400+ HP to use it. I didnt have a chance to even brake it in. It was a bit much for my 330 Merc. By the time juced the engine enough to use it I sold the boat. It would be great for ski or kicking but on jet boats. Dont thik it would be the best prop for offshore stuff. If your out for tubig/sking or into accerating out of the hole there great. Would part with mine for 500.00 has under 1 hour of time on it.