PDA

View Full Version : Stained seats!!

onesubdrvr
02-11-2005, 10:23 PM
OK,

After dumping what will be over 3k on the engine swap on the Rag, I need to cool my jets until the fall on the new interior, so I need to clean mine.
I've got some mildew stains on the vinyl, any suggestions to remove them?
Also, my gel is in pretty good condition, a little wax on the Yellow and it buffs out good, but the white doesn't get that glossy look, nice color, but no gloss, any suggestions here?
I can't wait until the fall, by that time momma will be wanting a new interior, will ditch the motor box and jump seats, make an extended sun lounge platform, bench seat across the back, remove back to backs and install bolster style seats :yes:

But until then, any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Wayne

Cuda
02-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Wayne, get some Aqua buff. Check out this thread.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36458&page=2&pp=15&highlight=aquabuff

And this one.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33820

ChromeGorilla
02-11-2005, 10:42 PM
For the seats...Tilex. Just be sure to give them a wipe down after with a water dampened towel.

onesubdrvr
02-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys,

Will try to order some aqua buff this weekend, and get the Tilex and try it out.

Thanks again
Wayne

MOP
02-11-2005, 11:47 PM
OK,

After dumping what will be over 3k on the engine swap on the Rag, I need to cool my jets until the fall on the new interior, so I need to clean mine.
I've got some mildew stains on the vinyl, any suggestions to remove them?
Also, my gel is in pretty good condition, a little wax on the Yellow and it buffs out good, but the white doesn't get that glossy look, nice color, but no gloss, any suggestions here?
I can't wait until the fall, by that time momma will be wanting a new interior, will ditch the motor box and jump seats, make an extended sun lounge platform, bench seat across the back, remove back to backs and install bolster style seats :yes:

But until then, any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Wayne

Do this at your own risk!! I did and am more than happy!!

This is like Ripley's Believe it or not!

When I got my 22 there was mildew, rust, paint and a few mystery spots on the cushions and backs. I planned on trashing it before the 1000 Is run, I was eying Woodsey's extra interior. By chance Zinger (Jeff) stayed at my marina, in chatting with him he showed me his interior and put me on to using acetone to clean the vynl which sounded spooky to me, but being mine looked shot I tried it. I used a soft cloth well wetted but not dripping with the acetone, it worked unbelievably well each and every stain came off some needed extra elbow grease but non the less came off. I did get a little color bleed on the white from the darker piping I though Crap it was going to look lousy, but few more strokes with the clean side of the rag running the rag along the piping and more acetone got rid of that. When done it was not sticky or hard remained soft and real clean I topped it off with Vynl cleaner/softener, it came out so good I will easily get another season or two out of it.

And Thanks again Zinger!!!

MOP
02-11-2005, 11:49 PM
For the seats...Tilex. Just be sure to give them a wipe down after with a water dampened towel.

Thanks for the Tilex tip, I will save the acetone for the baddies that don't want to come off.

Phil

onesubdrvr
02-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Phil,

Thanks for the tip, like you, I think I'll try the Tilex first, and keep the acetone in reserve for the "baddies"

Wayne

mattyboy
02-12-2005, 09:57 AM
just stay away from products with bleach in them it will kill the stiching,
3m makes some good stuff, I used meguiers hot rims on the harbormaster's advice on tough stains on the hull it worked on the seats too

Pismo
06-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Wrong thread, sorry...........

gcarter
06-09-2005, 03:43 AM
Wayne, until you get your Aquabuff, try color sanding the white.
You know 1000, 1200, 1500 and then compound.
My cockpit was like that. Compound wouldn't touch it until I sanded it first.
Actually, by the time I got to 1200 it was already getting shiny.

onesubdrvr
06-09-2005, 05:57 AM
Wierd how things get back to the top sometimes, huh?

Thanks George, I've got a couple of spots that were really bad that the 3M wax/restorer didn't take care of, so I'll try it, thanks!

Wayne

Richard McCoy
06-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Watch the tilex on the stitches could discolor them and worst cause rot. Tide works well.