PDA

View Full Version : Honey Do's/Veggy garden

txtaz
02-10-2005, 07:23 AM
I swear, does it ever end or do you just accept that some things need fixing and go on with life?

Anyone have information or links on planting vegetable gardens? Spring is coming and I would like to have it done and planned out before boating season starts.

Thanks,
Wes

ToonaFish
02-10-2005, 07:41 AM
My favorite is http://www.gardenweb.com/ - their forums are pretty accurate and interesting (if you are a dirt geek).

Make sure that when you are planning the vegetables that you take into consideration time vs. cost vs. taste factors. I'll never again bother with leeks, broccoli, soybeans, or lettuce except for giggles... but tomatoes are always worth it, as are okra, green beans, and most herbs. You will have to experiment a bit to find out what grows in your garden, as every microclimate varies. Find a decent independently owned garden center and ask their opinion on what truly grows in your area... and find out their guarantee if it fails.

And just like the boats, surface preparation is everything. You cannot amend or improve your soil enough, ever. Call the county extension agent and ask if they offer compost at the landfill. It's usually free and will save you years of tilling and hours of weeding during boating season. Also, if at all possible, use raised beds to save yourself a good bit of labor in the long run.

But you've been duped if you think a garden is ever "done"...

MOP
02-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Wes gardening becomes a sickness if you are not careful, Bonnie and I do not grow veggies but have about 300 other odd what evers that I dug as many holes for. The place stays in bloom all season and does look real nice but requires an unbelievable amount of maintainance, I weed most every day during the nice months, fiddle with fertilizers and there is always the grass, that gets mulched and spead in the beds. Fall clean up is a nightmare between cutting back and a Guzzillion leaves stick in amongst all the bushes.

Some pics of our place!
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35972

I think I need a few gallons of gas and a Match that would ease things up a bit, I might get to play with my Donzi more!

txtaz
02-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Wow Phil, Very nice. I don't think we are going that elaborate. Actually I know we're not.TOOOOO much work. I already have the flower garden built and boxed out the 16x8 veggy garden. I hauled 800lbs of potting soil and a ton of pavers to make the flower garden. I think I may have to make the veggy garden deeper, right now it's at 8". Time for research and hauling more dirt.
Toona, thanks for the link and info, I will check into it. We did get good dirt from a local garden center. They knew what mix was good for this area, I just didn't ask what grows best. We want tomatoes, cucumbers and some spices plus a few other things. Not sure yet.
Here are a few pics.
Thanks,
Wes
At least I know to wait to plant.... :biggrin.: