PDA

View Full Version : 1999 22zx fairing delamination???

Mudball
02-07-2005, 08:51 PM
I was parked late last year, and when I stepped on the fairing to walk up to the front to work on the ropes, and I heard a LOUD POW! The thing split. About a foot of gap is there now in the fairing.

I thought about using some epoxy to glue it back, but there must be a heck of a stress factor right there...

This is on a 1999 22zx.

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Kent

Lenny
02-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Bryan Tuvell had this problem. I am not sure about Frank Civitano. Bryan got his fixed by DONZI under the old Z-care deal. He will probably chime in.

Yes, this was a problem.

Shanghied Again
02-08-2005, 08:19 AM
I had my fiberglass guy fill mine and repair it so far staying together, 1999 will be out of Z Care

Scubado
02-08-2005, 09:49 AM
I have a 2000 22ZX, my fairing was replaced by Z care when I noticed bubbles and cracks after the first time I had it out.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Pictures?

Yes I had a fairing completely removed from a 22ZX, it was done by a local glass man, fairing was shipped from Donzi (wrong color) about $3500 in labor-.

My 01 26ZX Fairling had minor issues, I returned it to the factory for repair, never had another problem.

My 03 33ZX has held up thus far.

Bryan

Mudball
02-08-2005, 08:27 PM
I really had no idea this was common. It's interesting that it took several years from mine to crack.
Here is a picture of the crack. It is really bad, taken from a video that was moving, and I added blue lines to show it, just in case. My boat is at the shop now, so can't get to it for a better picture.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-08-2005, 08:41 PM
NO, not where I or most had fairing issues.
Mine were where the fairing met the deck on the tips on the 1999 22ZX. On the 26ZX it was forward by the quarters where it met the deck.
I have a disk of pictures, I will look for them for you, no comparison....

What you have there is not common, Frank, I, and a few others had what Steve Simon explained as a bad lay-up process that only failed on a few boats. (We sure miss THE MAN!)

I am not sure what is going on with yours! OMG! The 1999 Fairing has 5 screws holding all that together along with 5200....
How does the front where she meets the deck look? Pictures?

Just to share more data on my 22ZX, the fairing was completely SLICED off with a razor wire, 5 screws removed, new top set on, and I had NO issues with the replacement.
I will also add, all my ZX's were ran as advertised in their brochures.
LOVE the boats, owned 3 three and a 4th to come soon....

Bryan

Mudball
02-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Very interesting Brian.

My fairing from the outside looks perfect. There are no blemishes, stress cracks, or anything else. The thing just did a LOUD KAPOW when it cracked.

I have seen air in this boat, but when this happened, I just stepped onto the fairing to get to the bow to work the ropes...I weigh 175 pounds.

It looks to me like it was seriously stressed in the making, shrinking, or something.

I 'think' I can inject some epoxy in there and clamp it, but will it blow on the other side then?

Sadly I am out of the Z care's arms. I bought this boat new, with zero issues until this. I can't really complain. It's been over 5 years.

I recently repowered from the 7.4mpi to an HP500 in the thing, and it is now really FUN! :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

Thanks,
Kent

Mudball
02-08-2005, 10:13 PM
I must add perhaps that I repowered AFTER the fairing cracked.

I was easy on the boat mostly. From time to time though, I did hit that hidden cruiser wake and was skyward for a bit.

It may sound like I thrash this boat. Not the case. I had 156 hours on the 7.4mpi, and probably 95% was cruising. I now have 4 hours on the new power.

The fairing crack has grown since...

Kent

PS: I have lots of pics from the repower...

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-09-2005, 04:33 AM
Mudball, your idea might work, I would go see a glass man for advice.
She's a pretty boat, I saw the motor upgrade on the other board, very nice.
Best of luck.
Bryan

Marlin275
02-09-2005, 09:54 AM
LOVE the boats, owned 3 three and a 4th to come soon....

Bryan

Just get a 45ZX and skip Donzi 5,6,and 7 ?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-09-2005, 12:20 PM
38 will be my last in size, waiting to hear more about the 38 ZR's...
I will admit it will be hard to give up the big comfort of a 33ZX for a flat deck speed demon. Still on the fence on this one.
Bryan

fasttrucker
02-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Bryan,Iam wondering if your wife,or mine,would want you to go from that nice cabin on the 33 to the small cabin on the 35zr...I hear you call your boat...Z-RATED. :biggrin.:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Our first long stay on the boat will be late July, we always get a room, so this will be the test, if she is ok with staying on the boat we will not buy a ZR, if she demands a room on day 2, we will.....

I may actually shop a couple other brands if I move up.
Cig and OL for a start.
Bryan

fasttrucker
02-12-2005, 10:36 AM
My wife will not sleep on the boat!Here in M.D. thats what everyone does.Fairlee creek is packed on the weekends.We went to the baltimore boat show and I took her into a trawler,Mainship.I think thats the only way she will sleep on a boat. :boat:

Ed Donnelly
02-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Bryan; OL=Outerlimits???
At least you didn't say Fountain..........Ed

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks Ed :) LOL
You just never know about us, what moma says goes in this house.
Bryan

gold-n-rod
02-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks Ed :) LOL
You just never know about us, what moma says goes in this house.
Bryan

If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!!

Took me 25 years to learn the wisdom in this old saying.

streetrock
04-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Hey Guys, The Names Redd. Im Looking To Buy A Donzi 33zx Used. I'm New To The Whole Speedboat Thing So I Need To Know A Couple Things About It Before. What Would Be Things To Look Out For When Purchasing? Is There Somewhere I Can Send It To Reupholster The Interior To My Specs? Does Donzi Do This? Should I Change The Engines When I Buy It? If Anyone Can Help Me Out With This, I'd Greatly Appreciate It. Thanks Guys.

P.S.- I SAW A LISTING FOR A 2002 45ZX FOR $75,000. WHAT COULD BE WRONG WITH THIS BOAT? EVERYTHING SEEMS OK WITH IT BUT I DONT KNOW. WHAT IF I CHANGED THE ENGINES?

streetrock
04-10-2006, 08:40 PM
I Saw A 2002 45zx For $75,000. What Could Be Wrong With This Boat? They Listed Everything From A To Z And It Seems Ok. What If I Bought It And Changed The Engines?

Mudball
04-10-2006, 08:55 PM
I Saw A 2002 45zx For $75,000. What Could Be Wrong With This Boat? They Listed Everything From A To Z And It Seems Ok. What If I Bought It And Changed The Engines?

Those are really humerous posts, Street!
Kent

Mr X
04-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Is that the one that is on ebay now with 496's
Definatly not the original engines there.......