PDA

View Full Version : big t to hydraulic helm

maddad
02-07-2005, 07:34 PM
does anyone know if there is a hydraulic helm that will let me keep the original teleflex bezel on my 18'classic?

MOP
02-07-2005, 07:46 PM
It can be done, do a search there was a post awile back on doing just that.

Phil

maddad
02-07-2005, 08:19 PM
thanks phil.i did search and found some posts that say it can be done but no mention of exactly which helm or the extent of the modifications.i'd like to hear from someone who has done this already to save myself a headache or two.

MOP
02-07-2005, 08:38 PM
thanks phil.i did search and found some posts that say it can be done but no mention of exactly which helm or the extent of the modifications.i'd like to hear from someone who has done this already to save myself a headache or two.

I PMed you a lead!

maddad
02-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Thank you very much Phil,that was a huge shove in the right direction!In regard to a cylinder,would an unbalanced unit biased in the right direction help deal with prop torque?

MOP
02-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Thank you very much Phil,that was a huge shove in the right direction!In regard to a cylinder,would an unbalanced unit biased in the right direction help deal with prop torque?

Interesting idea wonder how well it would work in practice!

Lenny
02-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Char-Lynn was what I was thinking. Marine Machine has that.
http://www.marinemachine.com/

You can also try SeaStar.

http://www.teleflexmorse.com/Marine/telemarine.asp?id=10

MOP
02-09-2005, 10:57 PM
The site below has a lot of Char-Lynn helm pumps, seem to be good prices.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/

MOP
02-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Are you going internal or external? I have a new internal that may be of interest.

maddad
02-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks Lenny,thanks Phil!After seeing how roadtrip se went about solving the problem,I'm going to make a list of important measurments,search those sites,and find a helm that will fit.Phil,my cell# is .I try to keep it nearby during the day.Please call when you get a chance so we can talk about that cylinder.

MOP
02-10-2005, 08:37 AM
If your going to all the trouble of converting, why go internal??

And, why go single ram????

Older Volvo drive, can't wait for him to get it running he scaffed up the Tempest from my 22.

maddad
02-10-2005, 10:08 AM
M.P.,yes,it is an older Volvo and I have not seen a solid way to connect it external.I'm hoping to get rid of some of the slop by changing to hydraulic inside.I have a spare 280 leg I can use to maybe come up with a good external set up,but for now,I just want to be able to steer when I'm on the gas.Any thoughts on the unbalanced cylinder idea?

Forrest
02-10-2005, 11:03 AM
The unbalanced cylinder idea does work, provided of course you mount the cylinder so that the side with more capacity applies its force against steering torque. I use a single unbalanced Hynautic cylinder in my 16 mounted in the above configuration and it works to counteract steering torque quite well. In any event most but not all inside-the-boat steering-cylinders that you will find are unbalanced, and all external steering ram cylinder are unbalanced; however, when two unbalanced steering-cylinders are used on each side of a drive unit or units, the steering system become balanced.

BTW, there are some solid ways to connect an external hydraulic steering cylinder to a Volvo Aquamatic unit. It usually involves fabricating a stainless-steel plate and using spacers to attach to the top of the of the drive unit using three of the four bolts that attach the upper bearing housing cap.

With a Volvo 200 - 290 Aquamatic you will have slop in the steering even with an internal hydraulic ram since there is always some unavoidable slop in the helmut pivots. You will be much happier with an external cylinder.

As for the Big-T bezel to Hynautic/ Seastar or Char-Lynn/Danfoss helms, you can get creative and fabricate an aluminum plate and whatever else you may need to mount behind your Big-T bezel in order to mount your hydraulic helm. I recently mounted a Char-Lynn helm behind a Big-T bezel. It took a little figuring, a little cutting, a little drilling, and some trial and error, but it looks and works great, and I still have all of my fingers!

Good luck

maddad
02-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Forrest,what you did is my plan.I'd lke to get the helm all set up with an internal ram,and use my spare drive to work on the external set up.I'll have to change the cylinder later, but at least I'll have a system that works till then.I've seen photos of that 3 bolt stainless plate.Are they available or is that a fabricate as needed item?Thanks for all this input! Mike

MOP
02-15-2005, 07:46 AM
Minor post HiJack!
Mike post some of the shots you showed me! Mike bought the 300 Tempest when I pulled it, he has opened it up and is pleased with the inards. He swapped intake to Rootsy favorite and is adding Stainless Marine exhaust, has also given it a class act paint job and some sweet valve covers.

Phil