PDA

View Full Version : Scary night last night...

Fish boy
02-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Got home late from a super bowl party and about 2 minutes after I walked in the door, I heard a loud crash and sudden high rpm winding out of what sounded like outboards.

Ran out to the balcony and heard screaming by several people and cries for help. Could barely make out what appeared to be 2-3 people in the water, A boat against the docks, and another boat circling back. BTW, the second boat came back, had to have heard the cries for help and seen the people in the water, and took off full throttle in the other direction.

Grabbed my cell phone and ran down the firestairs to the dock. Saw 3 people in the water, a damaged 28 Baja with the centerconsole ripped from the deck and tipped back 90 degrees on top of at least one person.

Got a line to the boat and began helping them get the girls out of the water and on to the dock, and then the rest of the people out of the boat.

Although the details are a little sketchy, it appears the second boat forced the Baja into a row of docks that line my complex. Might explain why he did not want to stick around, but can never explain why he actually left without helping IMHO.

Fortunately, no one was killed, and the 13-14 people on board are truly blessed to be alive. 2 things kept all from being killed: High tide- the boat chopped through the docks rather than going under them which surely would have been fatal for all. Second, form the sound the motor made, it sounds like the lower unit was torn off the starboard motor which would have caused a sharp right turn (combined LU grab the pole and left motor still going ping ponged them towards right rather than continuing straight). I drove the driver home and he said he was really lucky it suddenly jerked back out into open water. The reason this is so lucky is that when you look at the pics, they crashed through 5 unoccupied docks, the 6th and 7th and larger metal boat lifts on them with boats- had they not suddenly turned back t0o sea, there would have been non hope for anyone in the boat.

Here are the pics (None of the boat, did not have the heart under the circumstances to add insult to injury.

First one is where the boat entered the docks running parallel to the seawall

Fish boy
02-07-2005, 11:13 AM
a couple more of the docks. Notice the large Piling in the middle of most of the docks...

Fish boy
02-07-2005, 11:15 AM
hard to see here, but there is a middle piling that is completely pushed over. I am guessing this might be the one that took off the LU given its proximity to where the biat jerked starboard back towards open water.

Fish boy
02-07-2005, 11:16 AM
View from the othr direction (boat coming towards the camera)

Fish boy
02-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Aireal view. Notice the two boats on the lifts? All the docks to the right of the tweo boats were destroyed, and the next thing they would have hit would have been these two boats had their boat suddenly not jerked back towards the open water.

If you look at the number of pilings to the right of the boats, that will give you a perspective on the distance the Baja traveled (hit all of the docks along the seawall).

Also the fox news helicopter that has been circling for the past 45 minutes.

ChromeGorilla
02-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Dang Fish...bet you were up late.... any news on the azzhole that left the scene?

Fish boy
02-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Dang Fish...bet you were up late.... any news on the azzhole that left the scene?

Definitely late night. I drove as many people as my car could fit wherever they needed to go. No word as far as I know on thew azzhull, but hopefull the police will figure something out. The drvier said he did not know the guy, but would definitely recognize the boat again when he saw it. I believe this guy will have a very hammurabi type discussion at that time with the drive of the second boat.

Lenny
02-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Fish, is that "no wake" territory or whatever you want?

Unbelievable story. Jerks. Reminds me of the fellas that were punching and "drowning" people at Lake Havasu last summer. Hopefully they were eventually found as well.

Fish boy
02-07-2005, 12:06 PM
yep, it is a no wake zone. It is also called "blind pass" since the lack of markings until you get to the intercoastal waterway. Pretty much a locals pass and a shortcut inland. Did nothear about Havasu dude beating people... WTF is wrong with people???

onesubdrvr
02-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Well,

Thankfully there were no injuries!! Unfortunately although night time boating is absolutely beautiful, it is also very dangerous. My question is, the guy in the Baja, how fast was he going to cause that type of damage. Obviously it was the other guys fault, but I'm wondering if damage would have been worse had he been going slower (plowed into by other boat), or less (still able to evade, but with less damage to the docks?)....

All that said,
THANK GOD EVERYONE WAS SAFE!!

Wayne

Fish boy
02-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Well,

Thankfully there were no injuries!! Unfortunately although night time boating is absolutely beautiful, it is also very dangerous. My question is, the guy in the Baja, how fast was he going to cause that type of damage. Obviously it was the other guys fault, but I'm wondering if damage would have been worse had he been going slower (plowed into by other boat), or less (still able to evade, but with less damage to the docks?)....

All that said,
THANK GOD EVERYONE WAS SAFE!!

Wayne

Wayne, I think you hit the nail on the head- THANK GOD EVERYONE WAS SAFE! had the boat not cut through the docks on the hull (and fortunately, the Baja Hull was very solid) everyone of the people on board woudl have had some sort of impact with the dock at waist to head high at whatever speed they were traveling. Also bad had they continued straight (rather than turn right).

Long and short of it is that this very easily could have been fatal to all or most onboard, but somehow all survived. I am still befuttled as to how a 28' boat got turned 90 degrees in those narrow slips and pilings just beore impact with the metal beams of the boat lifts. They were truly blessed last night- I can see how everyone could have died, but still cannot figure out how everyone lived. :cistineb:

MOP
02-07-2005, 01:49 PM
There is some Evil Garbage behind some wheels, super glad the people made out OK.

Phil

ChromeGorilla
02-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Out at Havasu there were some azzhulls who were drunk and assaulted a few people and injured them pretty bad. I believe they even knocked a girl out in the water by punching her in the head. I read about it last year on another forum (cant remember which one) the forum member was asking the boards help to try and identify the jaggggofs who did this. It was his neice or friends daughter that got assaulted. Was pretty scary story. The board had a virtual lynch mob if they ever identifed those guys....

gcarter
02-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Fish, these people were fortunate indeed!
Do any of you remember about 10-12 years ago when three ball players on spring training went boating drunk at dusk and ran into a dock at full speed. Two were killed instantly, a third was injured badly and I think lost a season.
I imagine if they could have made different decisions, they would have!
That accident happened about 30 miles south of here.

Fish boy
02-07-2005, 05:15 PM
George, yes I remeber the ball players. I know the one that survived well. He lost more than a season, he lost his career. He sells real estate now.

here is a link to local news. Turns out the driver was a deputy with the Pinellas county sheriff's office.

news story (http://www.tampabaylive.com/stories/2005/02/050207boatax.shtml)

Team Hula Girl
02-07-2005, 06:15 PM
George, yes I remeber the ball players. I know the one that survived well. He lost more than a season, he lost his career. He sells real estate now.

here is a link to local news. Turns out the driver was a deputy with the Pinellas county sheriff's office.

news story (http://www.tampabaylive.com/stories/2005/02/050207boatax.shtml)

Fish, I see this guy about twice a week out on the water while testing. He has a yellow Baja 28 CC. He can always be found at shell island when it's nice outside. I have spoken too him a couple of times and he seemed to be a decent guy. I wonder what happenned?

I will call you later this week.

J Mitch

Fish boy
02-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Fish, I see this guy about twice a week out on the water while testing. He has a yellow Baja 28 CC. He can always be found at shell island when it's nice outside. I have spoken too him a couple of times and he seemed to be a decent guy. I wonder what happenned?

I will call you later this week.

J Mitch
Yep, thats the boat. He is not the guy that I thought was driving, but I did not actually see the accident happen. Humm... Anyway, early this morning, Seatow was lubing up someone representing the boat for a good butt buggering to get the boat out of the slip.

Beleive it or not, the baja was in pretty good shape hull wise considering what it went through (5 docks). The way I tied it off when getting people off the boat, it was flush to the dock from the midship and stern. as the tide went down, that side of the boat stayed up in the air, and the other side dropped several feet allowing water in. Not a ton of water, and I think if the ropes were cut, it might have still floated. Bilge pump was still working.

Seatow wanted $25 per foot to pump it out, and additional $$ to tow it. I am sure it was well over a grand... who says pirates don't exist.

give me a call,

fish

Cuda
02-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Fish, the news story doesn't say if the guy who was charged with BUI was in the Baja, or the guy who ran him into the docks.

olredalert
02-07-2005, 11:38 PM
--------Reading that article in the paper it almost sounds as if there wasnt a mystery boat that left the scene. What do you think, FB? Was the guy concocting a story or not?.................Bill S

Fish boy
02-08-2005, 06:52 AM
--------Reading that article in the paper it almost sounds as if there wasnt a mystery boat that left the scene. What do you think, FB? Was the guy concocting a story or not?.................Bill S

Definitely a second boat, I saw it circle back and then leave. Not uncommon for the press to get a story wrong. Also makes a more sensational story when it is written as a sheriff gets drunk and drives into a dock, rather than a sheriff with a buzz gets forced into a dock he might not have hit if it were not for some other boat.

When the smoke clears, thre will be a nother boat in this story. I just wish I could have gotten a better look at it, but it was dark and I was focusing on the people in the water.

Fish boy
02-08-2005, 06:55 AM
Fish, the news story doesn't say if the guy who was charged with BUI was in the Baja, or the guy who ran him into the docks.

Cuda, I beleive the guy they charged was in the baja and I am not sure they have identified the other boat driver yet. I did see one news report that at least mentioned it and said that police are following up on it.

BUIZILLA
02-08-2005, 07:09 AM
You mean to tell me 14 people can't see a seawall they are 6 feet parrallel away from??? much less land mass and a frickin condominium ??? why is a guy going that fast next to a sea wall? and yet not one person grabbed the wheel from the errant captain ?? man...................... :boggled:

Fish boy
02-08-2005, 07:47 AM
You mean to tell me 14 people can't see a seawall they are 6 feet parrallel away from??? much less land mass and a frickin condominium ??? why is a guy going that fast next to a sea wall? and yet not one person grabbed the wheel from the errant captain ?? man...................... :boggled:

Buzz,
I hear ya, and they may have been (Should have been) yelling at him. What the pictures show is the start of the docks is on a curve The intercoastal water way runs north and south and the pass where the docks are runs east and west. if they were heading north on the intercoastal and turned west to head to the beach, they would have been funneled into the pass. Additionally, there is a marker in the curve that would make you commit to go on the left of it or right of it. If you went to the left (shorter distance to beach) then you would be really close to the wall. If the other boat was also to the left then you would have no choice to be right up against the seawall... no choice other than stop driving like a jackazz in a no wake zone, at night, after a few sdrinks.

Lenny
02-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Jim, sometimes "grabbinging the wheel" to MISS certain large objects can have "other" unforeseen consequences :eek:

:D :D :D

Been there, done that, Criterion and all, got the shirt :rolleyes:

P.S. Remember how clean Poodles' boat bottom was ? :eek: ...

BUIZILLA
02-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Jim, sometimes "grabbinging the wheel" to MISS certain large objects can have "other" unforeseen consequences :eek: oh, you must mean when Tux cut directly in front of us, and I decided his exhaust wash wasn't in our best interest... :umbrella:

still anonymous

Team Hula Girl
02-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Here is the view from the water where he/she went into the docks.

J Mitch

Team Hula Girl
02-08-2005, 09:49 PM
And this is the view of where he/she came out of the docks. After looking at these docks from the water today I am amazed that he didn't hit the the two docked boats on lifts.

Fish, Here is a nother pic from where he came into contact with the seawall and deflected outwards.

J Mitch

Lenny
02-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Is that place tidal? Seems not to be or you have tiny tides, at least when the hurricanes stay away.

What controls your water height? Are there locks on the Intracoastal?

In other words :rolleyes: is that pic at high tide, or is it always like that? I don't see any sea bugs and stuff on the pilings and I can't imagine people going down those ramps at a 45 at "low tide".

Yes, it looks like I could live there :D

Fish boy
02-09-2005, 05:38 AM
Hey John, sorry I missed you yesterday, I did not get home until late. Crazy stuff huh??? After seeing it in person, can you imagine what would have happened if the boat had not suddenly jerked to the right and back out into the pass- those boat lifts are pretty solid.

Fish boy
02-09-2005, 05:42 AM
Is that place tidal? Seems not to be or you have tiny tides, at least when the hurricanes stay away.

What controls your water height? Are there locks on the Intracoastal?

In other words :rolleyes: is that pic at high tide, or is it always like that? I don't see any sea bugs and stuff on the pilings and I can't imagine people going down those ramps at a 45 at "low tide".

Yes, it looks like I could live there :D

Lenny, we do have tides here and no locks, the pass goes straight to the gulf of mexico. That is a pic of a pretty high tide. It drops about 3-5 feet depending on the moon cycle. The guy that hit the docks was Extremely lucky he hit at high tide so the boat was able to cut through the docks rather than go under the docks which would have hit everyone somewhere between the chest and the head.

Donzigo
02-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Fish,

Having rebuilt many docks over the years, my take is that these docks were old and somewhat dry on the .40 PT lquid that is pressured itnothe boards over at Robbins Lumber in Tamps, where most of this stuff comes from. If the wood had been newer, it wouldn't have had the brittle component and therefore wouldn't have broken so easily. Those folks were just plain lucky.

Hula Boy came by the dock yesterday with a new Intrepid and sat a while. Big D's interior is officially finished. I have to take a few pictures and post them on this site.

Fish boy
02-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Fish,

Having rebuilt many docks over the years, my take is that these docks were old and somewhat dry on the .40 PT lquid that is pressured itnothe boards over at Robbins Lumber in Tamps, where most of this stuff comes from. If the wood had been newer, it wouldn't have had the brittle component and therefore wouldn't have broken so easily. Those folks were just plain lucky.

Hula Boy came by the dock yesterday with a new Intrepid and sat a while. Big D's interior is officially finished. I have to take a few pictures and post them on this site.

Donzigo,
docks were 6 months old. Last docks left with one of the hurricanes. Speeler put them in, it was the good stuff.

Hula called the other day but I was out. Sorry I missed him. Looking forward to seeing Big D finished... until it makes me sad seeing how good yours looks compared to mine. :)

I should be ready to get mine wet within the next couple weeks, sooner if things slow down a little around here. I hear shell island calling us...

fish

Donzigo
02-10-2005, 12:11 PM
How about getting together dor drinks somewhere this weekend. Sloppy Pelican, Filthy Phils, Woodys............?

Team Hula Girl
02-10-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm In for drinks on Saturday.

Donzigo
02-10-2005, 09:11 PM
I'll cal Nate.

Fishboy?

Budman?

DonzigoJR
02-10-2005, 10:16 PM
We might be able to meet up for some of that too....Assuming I get the rocketship put back together.......Let me know

Lenny
02-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Getting a "feel" of where you guys live, it looks like Shell Island is about 120 miles from St. Pete. Is that right?

Looks like a GREAT run. Is that an overnighter thing from St.Pete? What 3 hours there?,..from St. P or Tampa area?

That, then Marco Island, and then that is about it till you hit the Keys? (Everglades in the way... ?)

Marco Island is the first thing you see in the way of civilization when you leave Key West, (by Cat) and head for Fort Myers isn't it?

Man, how this thread got twisted... :D

Fish boy
02-10-2005, 11:24 PM
Not going to be able to make Saturday. Have meeings Sat morning with a client that I say how high when he says jump. Hope to finish with enough daylight to hang the motor, and try to rig it on Sunday. Sorry guys, have to rain check this one.

Lenny, I am pretty sure I can see shell island from my front balcony, and Donzigo lives closer than I do. Shell is on the south tip of St. Petersburg, and just north of the northern tip of where Tampa Bay meets the gulf of mexico.

why don't you come down and check it out? We will show you areound Seadog style. Weather is warm, beer is cold, girls are hot. :D

Lenny
02-10-2005, 11:34 PM
ooops, obviously a different Shell Island. The one I looked at was REALLY close to Marco Island.

My bad, I have an excuse tho :D

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&location=qzB19RygJU9J8rIx7eUtLt2Md0LFcVxkZdXzSPhzN F5MUCiP6T8d4d4H5En6jkanGtXwoyfMqiMaI%2bBKbCxqcNru0 dOs%2b6aI5BpTEwj3dpI%3d

Wrong one obviously

Fish boy
02-10-2005, 11:42 PM
that one is a little further south, our Shell is about where the star is.