PDA

View Full Version : Phone line sharing devices

MOP
02-05-2005, 09:58 AM
I am thinking of putting a line sharing box on my home office line, between two cells and two phone line I want to drop one line. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would not mind having to re dial my computer connection, just want to make sure the calls make it through.

Phil

txtaz
02-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Phil, You can share phone lines but unless you have call waiting and a modem with modem on hold, you will not know when a call comes in if the phone line is busy. Modem on hold is pretty cool, it will hold your internet conection and allow you to answer another call or fax. I would check with local ISP's to see if they have any issues with the phone provider and modem on hold. When I was playing with it, I had to write a program to work with Verizon. They used a non-standard tone to indicate an incoming call so the computer never recognized the call.
Modem on hold also works with caller id.
I would get a phone splitter and plug into your existing plug (Radio shack, a few bucks), then get a V.92 modem with modem on hold (wall mart, around $30), plug it in, get call waiting and you are done.
Hope this helps.
Wes
PS. DSL works really well, $19.95/month thru SBC. I used to pay more than that for dial up.

MOP
02-06-2005, 01:54 PM
I am holding out for DSL, currently all we have out here os ADSL. I ran on cable for awhile but it gets so slow in the evenings the 56k seemed faster and ISP was paid for so I dropped it after the trial period. DSL is a little slower than cable but more consistent, the fellow that runs my south shore office has it so I have tried it a few times and really liked it. Verizon has a DSL plan that includes phone with all options on one line, hoping they will get it over by me soon. I will have to check with Verizon to see if I can use a share modem for now, I have a full package with their answering service not sure if it would trigger the modem with the bleeps it sends to notify of an incoming call.

Phil