PDA

View Full Version : USS San Francisco almost lost

Mr X
02-05-2005, 07:16 AM
A friend emailed these to me. His son was on the sub when it
apparently struck an un-charted hillside at 350 feet!
They were very lucky to get it to the surface......

Fish boy
02-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Holy smokes!!! Glad everyone made it Ok.

gcarter
02-05-2005, 07:55 AM
It's not often you get to see a "cut-away" of the inside of a sub!
If I remember from what I've read (thank you Tom Clancy!) the Sonar array is in the bow area covered by the tarp.
Also notice the top of the hull as it curves over towards the starboard, the thickness of the skin.....sound deadening?
The two or three members of the board who know what they're talking about probably won't be shedding much light on this. :shocking: :biggrin:

Cuda
02-05-2005, 08:16 AM
It amazes me that the ship with probably the most advanced sonar on the planet can run into a mountain.

Mr X
02-05-2005, 08:19 AM
It amazes me that the ship with probably the most advanced sonar on the planet can run into a mountain.
I was kinda thinking that too........

Cuda, do you still attend those exciting OPBA meetings? :jestera:

Fish boy
02-05-2005, 08:24 AM
I am probably going to be the laughing stock of some of the people on this board that may not be able to add to this thread, but..

form my EXTREMELY limited knowledge, do you ping when using the sonar? I think there are times when you would prefer not to make that much noise. Besides, I beleive the maps and charts the navy uses are the best anywhere, and are relied on every day. Maybe this was not on there, maybe the topography shifted since the area was mapped.

Again, I know pretty much zero, but that never stopped me before. LOL

gcarter
02-05-2005, 08:53 AM
I think you hit it fish!
Again according to Clancy, if they are "passive", they are dependent on knowing EXACTLY where they are and charts of underwater obstacles. In other words, they are "flying" blind. So if someone moved a mountain a few hundred feet, you could probably make this happen!!!!! :smash:

Cuda
02-05-2005, 09:20 AM
I was kinda thinking that too........

Cuda, do you still attend those exciting OPBA meetings? :jestera:

I haven't been to one since we moved. Last year was a disaster for the club. I haven't even paid my dues yet for this year.

Mr X
02-05-2005, 09:40 AM
I have not been to one since I saw you guys there........

It was a joke to me.......too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Cuda
02-05-2005, 09:41 AM
I have not been to one since I saw you guys there........

It was a joke to me.......too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Last year they didn't have any cheifs, but everyone was bitchin'.

Mr X
02-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Last year they didn't have any cheifs, but everyone was bitchin'.
You know .......I realised that I had it backwards after I posted it.
Thats what I meant

Cuda
02-05-2005, 09:52 AM
I'm hoping it will be better this year. Erturk is back as president. They should just leave him alone and let him run it. At least he got something done.

ChromeGorilla
02-05-2005, 10:04 AM

Mr. Carter hit the nail on the head. When the sub is just driving around the sonar is passive. The sonar operators only listen to what is out there. Fast attack subs do have active sonar which can send out a "ping". I have been on a sub that has got pinged and thats exactly how its sounds...like a nigh pitch ping. Going active and sending out a ping would show the sea mount yes...but it also would give away the subs position as well, which is exactly what we dont want for our subs.
The submarine I just left was an SSBN. Much larger and a little slower than fast attacks. Trident subs like the one I was on don't even have active sonar. Only passive. Part of the reason is stealth is a very critical part of of the Tridents mission.
I have read an email from an electronics Chief on board the SF that he wrote to another sailor on base here. It could have been worse. The accident happened during lunch right after a field day. Field day is a 3 hour period where everyone is awake and does a bunch of cleaning up. Deck plates are removed equipement moved around. If it had happened then, there would have been more deaths. Guys are climbing in between pipes and equip.....would have been ugly.
Being a submariner is an inherently dangerous job. I pray this never happens again as I have many friends that patrol the deep.
Scott

BUIZILLA
02-05-2005, 10:17 AM
ya know, i'm sitting there looking for horizontal launcher's in the nose, then realized most everything today is a vertical *long range* launch...

JH :cool:

Lenny
02-05-2005, 12:20 PM
In looking at pic one, the "bump" in the fuselage of the nose, I was thinking... hmmm..
I watched a show a few years back on this principle, and I believe they called it the " schvell" after the design or something. (No Poodle, NOT Chevelle :D )

Anyways, it was designed for subs, and was to create an air bubble, or a "vacuum" alongside the fuselage, so as to allow the sub to reach much higher speeds in the reduced friction.

Is that what we are seeing on this one?

Also, keep in mind that off of Sri Lanka, after the tsunami, the International shipping lanes have been temporarily relocated with the help of Your Naval Survey ships, as the one used for the last million years, is suspected to have changed. :eek:

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/01/27/quake.navy.reut/index.html

http://www.thestreet.com/_tscs/funds/jondmarkman/10203048.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/01/0112_050112_tv_tsunami_map.html

MOP
02-05-2005, 04:20 PM
CNN reported it hit an un charted mountain, if it was going straight they may have picked it up but in a turn maybe not. I have a close younger friend that served on one, though he could not and did not tell me much he did say they made speeds under water that our lesser Classics would like to make on top. So maybe if they were hauling ass in a turn it may have jumped in front of them, when they turn at high speed they bank like an airplane.

ChromeGorilla
02-05-2005, 04:29 PM
They wouldn't have seen it coming weather they were turning, going straight, going flank...(WOT for you landlubbers) or going 4 knots. It was an uncharted sea mount. They dont make any noise. Like I said before very scary stuff.

MOP
02-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Scott does'nt sonar put out an ping and read the return, if so why would in not bounce off something fixed as well as a moving?

Phil

ChromeGorilla
02-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Sonar on subs such as the USS SF have the ability to ping, but like I said earlier. It is not normaly used as it would give away ships position. My last sub the USS Maryland doesnt even have active sonar.

MOP
02-05-2005, 05:57 PM
See I have watched to many World War II movies :yes: :biggrin:

onesubdrvr
02-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Sonar on subs such as the USS SF have the ability to ping, but like I said earlier. It is not normaly used as it would give away ships position. My last sub the USS Maryland doesnt even have active sonar.
Oh no, not a boomer boy,....:boggled: run and hide, run and hide!!

Fast Boats Forever!!

gcarter
02-05-2005, 08:18 PM
OK, I understand most of the missle boats skulk around at about three knots (I've read).
Do the fast attack boats cruise any faster?

onesubdrvr
02-06-2005, 07:59 AM
OK, I understand most of the missle boats skulk around at about three knots (I've read).
Do the fast attack boats cruise any faster?
:D you bet 'cha, but in all fairness, the difference in size is enourmous. I've just allways been a fast boat guy,....
USS Richard B Russell SSN-687, USS Columbia SSN-771, USS Dallas SSN-700.

No offense ment CG, just some ribbin' by a fellow bubble head.

Wayne

ChromeGorilla
02-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Tridents.... we hide with pride!

Formula Jr
02-12-2005, 09:01 AM
I just heard on the news that the captain
was found to be at fault for some reason. And his career is likely over. The news was not specific. Which makes sense since subs are highly classified.

ChromeGorilla
02-12-2005, 09:06 AM
If that is true and the captain has been at fault then there is more to the story than just hitting an uncharted underground mountain. You will never get the whole story from the media when it come to subs....I have a couple friends that have friends on that boat... I'll see what I can find out at work. Not what the Navy's press release says but what really went down.....

gcarter
02-12-2005, 11:32 AM
You know it's a tradition hundreds of years old that if a captain wrecks/ loses his ship, he's assumed to be at fault.
It's a tough position.

txtaz
02-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Tridents.... we hide with pride!
Too funny CG, beats being a target though. I got to visit a boomer in Seattle, MAN was that a hotel compared to fast boats. I did some of the spook stuff on the west coast.
OneSub, Did you ever hear of a guy called Tree? He did some service on the Dallas. Can't recall the years though.
Wes

onesubdrvr
02-13-2005, 05:25 AM
Too funny CG, beats being a target though. I got to visit a boomer in Seattle, MAN was that a hotel compared to fast boats. I did some of the spook stuff on the west coast.
OneSub, Did you ever hear of a guy called Tree? He did some service on the Dallas. Can't recall the years though.
WesWell, name isn't really ringing a bell, unless we're talking about a TM,......a LARGE TM,.... other than that, no,...sorry. You mentioned west coast, Parche?

Wayne

ChromeGorilla
02-13-2005, 07:46 AM
You wont get anyone from the Parche to talk. I have a few friends that served on the Parche and the Narwal.....spec ops boats....VERY hush hush...even today.

txtaz
02-13-2005, 06:10 PM
You wont get anyone from the Parche to talk. I have a few friends that served on the Parche and the Narwal.....spec ops boats....VERY hush hush...even today.
Ahem, no comment....
All I can say is it was a pretty cool experience.
Here's to all who serve and have served. :beer:
Wes

onesubdrvr
02-13-2005, 08:09 PM
Ahem, no comment....
All I can say is it was a pretty cool experience.
Here's to all who serve and have served. :beer:
WesYeah,

I was one of those guys on the Russell, 91-94. All I will say is the Russell was awarded 2 PUC and a NUC during that time,.... yeah, pretty cool.

Wayne

gcarter
07-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Here's a follow up on this story.....
And a very interesting story it is;

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jul/05/1n5sub211810-sub-damaged-fatal-crash-rejoins-fleet/?military&zIndex=126948