PDA

View Full Version : Bahama Project Update

Legend
02-03-2005, 07:07 PM
I just wanted to share a few pics of my new powerplant for my 18ft Donzi Classic. It is the 2004 Mercruiser 350 MPI Horizon with a Bravo 1 Drive (1.5:1) . I have added the GIL/Corso Silent Choise Combo. I am in the process of completely rewiring and making a few modifications. I am relocating the shift assembly and the fuel filter. I will send some more pictures as the project goes on. I have also included some pics of my old powerplant that was completely rebuilt (new rods, new pistons, new rings, new water pump......) I have mounted the original risers/manifolds from the new engine onto the rebuilt engine and have decided to keep the engine for a future project. The project is a challenge but well worth it. My biggest headache is that I now have to modify my hatch to accomodate the heat exchanger....I hate to have to cut the hatch after having a perfect paint job which was done around July last year. I hope to have her ready for Spiring Break when the college students flock the Bahamas in March.

Legend

MOP
02-03-2005, 07:27 PM
How much room do you have ahead of the engine? You may be able to use the lower style brackets on the exchanger, or drop it down next to the stringer which a few of the guys have done. If you drop it next to the stringer you will need a T stat housing with a pressure cap. I have have the lower style brackets that use the circ pump bolts, but the 22 has gobs of room.

Phil

gcarter
02-03-2005, 07:28 PM
The 18 is looking really good :eek: :smile:
Your new dash was inspiration for me to do the same on my Minx. I even used the same fabricator.
I think you will be happy you went with the closed cooling.
Looking forward to more updates. :smash:

Legend
02-03-2005, 09:46 PM
How much room do you have ahead of the engine? You may be able to use the lower style brackets on the exchanger, or drop it down next to the stringer which a few of the guys have done. If you drop it next to the stringer you will need a T stat housing with a pressure cap. I have have the lower style brackets that use the circ pump bolts, but the 22 has gobs of room.

Phil

Phil,

The engine compartment is really tight. the measurements I have taken gives me approximately 2 1/2 to 3 inches near the top of the rear deck. I had some space below but I had to install a stariner, sea-cock and thru-hull fitting. I love your option. Do you any pics of an installation that shows the exchanger down near the stringer. Thanks.

Legend

Fish boy
02-04-2005, 06:18 AM
Looking good Legend, keep us posted.

fish

MOP
02-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Though I have seen quite a few I don't have any pics, maybe one of the members that is already setup can post a shot.

Phil

tmdog
02-04-2005, 10:08 AM
On my 18 I installed heat exch. between the stringers. Made a alum bracket that spans the stringers and held the heat exch. with large hose clamps. this should solve the problem of cutting the hatch to make it fit. When I get a chance I'll send pics. Legend, you have beautiful water to boat in. Miss your Bimini bread and fish chowder.

Legend
02-04-2005, 10:50 AM
I would prefer to place the exchanger between the stringers and I would like to see some pics of an installation prior to fabricating the brackets to hold/secure it in place.

BTW would my moving the exchanger from the factory installed location impact my warranty on the engine?

tmdog
02-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Maybe these pics can help. The heat exch. is on a 18 Classic. The bracket is homemade or can be accomplished by a local welder. As for warranty, I believe you can mount it anywhere providing it does not affect efficiency of the unit.

Legend
02-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Maybe these pics can help. The heat exch. is on a 18 Classic. The bracket is homemade or can be accomplished by a local welder. As for warranty, I believe you can mount it anywhere providing it does not affect efficiency of the unit.

tmdog

Thanks very much. I get the "picture" :rlol:

This would work buch better than having to cut the hatch.

Enjoy the weekend.