PDA

View Full Version : Winter Boredom

Rootsy
02-02-2005, 10:03 PM
So what to do when it is 10 degrees outside, you're bored as all git out and have reloaded all of the brass in the house? you build your own rifle naturally, right??? :yes:

I've been tossing around a big bore centerfire of my own creation for a couple of years now, ever since i picked up the poor orphaned beat up ole Remington 700 Classic stock and gave her a lovely oil finish... it needed to be something that is capable of putting down anything i decide to hunt with it, on any continent and fit on a standard long action and '06 bolt face.... So i finally got off of my dead arse and did just that...

so i went and bought a brand new Remington 700 SPS in '06 and completely disassembled it and sold most of it on ebay... Proceeded to blueprint the receiver and bolt, lap the lugs and verify that everything was round, perpendicular and concentric... which surprisingly it was... Big Green must have retooled for the new year :). Then i gave Douglas Barrels a hollar and ordered a new Tube in XX (match) grade... Pre-threaded, deep chambered and crowned. Grab your headspace gauge and put the barrel in the lathe and set the shoulder back.. easy as cake...

The chambering i chose... 35 Whelen Ackley Improved... essentially the good ole 30-06 necked up to .358 and the shoulder blown out to 40* for a bit more case capacity and velocity... Literally, this round, loaded hot is like getting hit with a Mack truck...

it's not completely finished (recoil pad, bed action, float barrel, inlet stock, adjust trigger) but should be by early next week with my short vacation coming up. I'll fireform all of my brass and then disassemble and beadblast so that she can be blued in a matte finish... she'll wear a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5 - 14 x 40 AO scope...

Now i just need to plan that fall trip to Alaska.. ok Montana... baby steps :wink:

goatee
02-02-2005, 10:32 PM
sweet dude!!

Ed Donnelly
02-02-2005, 10:52 PM
GOOD; a custom rifle so you can go out and KILL all those bloody ground hogs that gave us another 6 weeks of winter..ed

Cuda
02-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Cool! I like oddball calibers. I don't have a Whelen AI, but I have a Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen. Only ten shots have been put through it. :)

sanleonkid
02-03-2005, 12:00 AM
My Son and I spend these mosst recent low 40's rainy/drizzle filled evening working on our O scale model railroad . The first pic is from earlier in the year.. the 2nd is current. For you non-rail roaders out there.... you can never run enough wire under your table.....

BUIZILLA
02-03-2005, 06:23 AM
Root's.... I coulda used that thing a few minutes ago.... :banghead: :splat: :bonk:

Rootsy
02-03-2005, 07:29 AM
Root's.... I coulda used that thing a few minutes ago.... :banghead: :splat: :bonk:

Rasta get a little out of hand? :umbrella:

Ranman
02-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Looks nice. Here's my custom firepower made to compete in international long distance comp. :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

RedDog
02-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Looks nice. Here's my custom firepower made to compete in international long distance comp. :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

Tell me more - 308?

RedDog
02-03-2005, 11:41 AM
These are my tack hammers - nothing special caliber wise, but quite accurate with the right load...

Bushmaster, .223, 22" S/S Bull Barrel (1 in 8 twist)
722 Remington, .244, Creighton Barrel, Unertel Scope
http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/500/408Guns-med.jpg

Patti
02-03-2005, 12:04 PM
So what to do when it is 10 degrees outside, you're bored as all git out and have reloaded all of the brass in the house? you build your own rifle naturally, right??? :yes:

I've been tossing around a big bore centerfire of my own creation for a couple of years now, ever since i picked up the poor orphaned beat up ole Remington 700 Classic stock and gave her a lovely oil finish... it needed to be something that is capable of putting down anything i decide to hunt with it, on any continent and fit on a standard long action and '06 bolt face.... So i finally got off of my dead arse and did just that...

so i went and bought a brand new Remington 700 SPS in '06 and completely disassembled it and sold most of it on ebay... Proceeded to blueprint the receiver and bolt, lap the lugs and verify that everything was round, perpendicular and concentric... which surprisingly it was... Big Green must have retooled for the new year http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif. Then i gave Douglas Barrels a hollar and ordered a new Tube in XX (match) grade... Pre-threaded, deep chambered and crowned. Grab your headspace gauge and put the barrel in the lathe and set the shoulder back.. easy as cake...

The chambering i chose... 35 Whelen Ackley Improved... essentially the good ole 30-06 necked up to .358 and the shoulder blown out to 40* for a bit more case capacity and velocity... Literally, this round, loaded hot is like getting hit with a Mack truck...

it's not completely finished (recoil pad, bed action, float barrel, inlet stock, adjust trigger) but should be by early next week with my short vacation coming up. I'll fireform all of my brass and then disassemble and beadblast so that she can be blued in a matte finish... she'll wear a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5 - 14 x 40 AO scope...

Now i just need to plan that fall trip to Alaska.. ok Montana... baby steps http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gifGonna let me shoot it? http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif :tongue:

goatee
02-03-2005, 12:10 PM
just a few of "the boys"
nothin special, nothin nobody cant go buy anytime they want.
but i REALLY do like my .50

goatee
02-03-2005, 12:18 PM
alaska patti!!!!! you wont regret it!

especially if you like to fish

Patti
02-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Goat! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

I'm sending Jamie on a hunting trip this coming fall as a gift..he said Montana..so it's his choice..but I think he'd love Alaska even more! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Although, I think he'll choose Montana :tongue:

I'd love to visit Alaska!

It looks so incredibly beautiful..but I don't think i'd wanna go in the winter :jestera:

Lord knows, the NYC winter is getting to me..I don't think I could handle THAT kinda cold!

goatee
02-03-2005, 12:35 PM
it was fun. we would see moose walking across the road.
(on a few occasions) denali pak was cool too
a ton of bear!
bull moose
caribou
golden eagles
daul sheep
but that was in the end of august....

MOP
02-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Jamie I used to be into guns years back, below is a shot from 1959 with my new Winchester 30-30, Swedish 6.5X55 mountain carbine an extremely accurate piece, Ruger double action 9 and my favorite an old 45 that over time was brought up to match standards. One of my buddies used a 50cal machine gun barrel from the mil salvage yard to make a monster rifle, he reloaded standard 50 ammo with lead and a lighter load. When we test fired it down at the range he could not drive home damn near broke his shoulder. All I have left these days is a shot gun and a couple of 22's all of which are dust collectors.

Phil

Rootsy
02-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Jamie I used to be into guns years back, below is a shot from 1959 with my new Winchester 30-30, Swedish 6.5X55 mountain carbine an extremely accurate piece, Ruger double action 9 and my favorite an old 45 that over time was brought up to match standards. One of my buddies used a 50cal machine gun barrel from the mil salvage yard to make a monster rifle, he reloaded standard 50 ammo with lead and a lighter load. When we test fired it down at the range he could not drive home damn near broke his shoulder. All I have left these days is a shot gun and a couple of 22's all of which are dust collectors.

Phil

holy smoke phil, you were once young???? nice arms too, i reckon you wish you still had those... I've never sold one of my firearms... most i never will, since they were either my grandfathers, great uncle or fathers firearms... along with my own concoctions.. actually the only firearm i own at this time that i think i'd part with is my Sig 229... it just isn't a practical firearm for me... i lose way too much brass, i shoot up ammo quicker than speedy gonzolas and it is just a bit too large for me to conceal on my rather small frame... it is fun but that's about it.

here are a couple of photos of my other toys... the rifle is a 700 Remington Mountain Rifle DM, worked over by myself but custom barreled by a local gunsmith with a Shilen match grade barrel, chambered for 280 Remington. this thing will drive tacks with a couple of my handloads... the scope in this photo is going on the Whelen... the Mtn Rifle now wears a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5 - 20 x 40 AO :D My new long range coyote rifle with some 100 gr hornady HP's @ about 3600 fps ;)

The auto & revolver are the Sig 229 in 40 S&W and my ruger blackhawk converted to a bisley grip frame, cylinder throats opened up, forcing cone lapped and bore firelapped... it now shoots well... chambered for 45 Colt... hanging onto my hunting loads can be fun :biggrin:

MOP
02-03-2005, 09:37 PM
I guess I would like to have kept the 45 and the Swed carbine. I spent nearly two years swapping parts with my AP buddies to get the 45 tight enough to shot weekend match's. The Swed was designed for Swiss army mountain troops to be very small but extremely accurate. It had a full length stock I cut it back also spooned the bolt and cleaned it up a little. The slug was 155 grain 1-1/4 long and a tad over 25cal case about the size of a, the barrel was slightly under 18" with a very tight twist to the bore. I did some very long bench target shots and never did a slug kilo always hit dead on and very tight, it shot like it had a 4 foot barrel. The Swed shot as straight and as far as the Mossberg match 22 I had. I still have an old Remington nylon 66 I drag ut to play with now and then, bolt 12Ga Mossberg, Charter Arms 22 that stashes in its own stock I used to take on deliveries down in the islands and last but not least my longest owned toy a 50 year old Daisey pump in mint condition.

Ranman
02-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Tell me more - 308?

Sorry RD, the pic was a joke. I don't own any guns. If I did I'd probably shoot myself in the foot. :D :D

Rootsy
02-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Sorry RD, the pic was a joke. I don't own any guns. If I did I'd probably shoot myself in the foot. :D :D

Hell and here i figured you'd be giving me 1000 yd lessons this summer... bummer.

JR