PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust tips II

tmdog
02-02-2005, 04:05 PM
The exhaust flange on my 18 are cut on top to fit the top of transom. Buying tips is dificult because of this problem. Did Donzi make some boats with the cut flanges? To cut the flange , would plasma welder be needed? Have others experienced the same problem? I sure would like to know. The year of the "D" is a 88.

Greg K
02-02-2005, 04:58 PM
The exhaust flange on my 18 are cut on top to fit the top of transom. Buying tips is dificult because of this problem. Did Donzi make some boats with the cut flanges? To cut the flange , would plasma welder be needed? Have others experienced the same problem? I sure would like to know. The year of the "D" is a 88.

Corsa will trim them for you if you want new tips. When I installed thru hulls on my 16, I had them trim a 1/2 inch off the top of the flange to fit.

tmdog
02-02-2005, 05:41 PM
This a Merc. drive. Problem is , as I stated in the other TIP thread is I purchased the tips from Eddie. Now how do I get the flange cut? Is plasma cutter the way to go? I don't want the cut edge to turn blue after cut. Mad Poodle, I wish I was aware you had connections for the tips. Anyone??

penbroke
02-02-2005, 08:51 PM
I would use an abrasive cut-off wheel or maybe even a dremel tool. Just don't let it get too hot. You might even be able to do it with a hacksaw if you're careful. After it's cut clean it up with a file.

Frank

tmdog
02-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Thanks for some of your ideas, but has anyone heard of a plasma cutter to do the job?

MOP
02-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Thanks for some of your ideas, but has anyone heard of a plasma cutter to do the job?

Yup! My bud the welder has one, does a nice job but you will need to do a bit of grinding and filing. It leaves a blued edge that needs to be cut back by hand to disappear it. Have you thought of clamping it to a set of V blocks and using a table belt sander, that works very well just go slow and even slower when you get close to your line to avoid bluing.

tmdog
02-04-2005, 09:51 AM
MOP- - Thanks for the helpful suggestion. Probably take the pipes to our local welding shop that does commercial and sophisticated welding and cutting. At least it will seem I have some knowlegde in explaining what needs to be done.