PDA

View Full Version : Hey Brownie I have a question (s).

f_inscreenname
02-02-2005, 02:01 PM
I know my boat was made after you but it is the same design. First were all your boats designed for a inboard motor and V drive? My boat has hatches about 2 1/2 feet wide by the full length of the boat from bow to stern. Remove the hatches to reveal a “tunnel” aprox 2 1/2’ by 2 1/2’. Also when the original I/O was installed they had to extend the motor mounts on the stringers further forward with a piece of aluminum so the motor mounts would have a place to sit. Second; Did the Nova Marine 19’ have a flat, curved transom or was it simi flat with a “bump out in the middle”? I was unable to tell by the couple pictures I have found of the old boats. Last what kind of motors did you install in the boats you sold?

Thanks for you help. Mark

Craig S
02-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Brownie: I have a couple questions, too. First, at what point did you switch to a liner on the 24 cockpits? also, second, the archival pictures shown awhile back were of a white boat with tan interior. Did they all have that scheme? I think mine came white with red welting, but am not sure.Thanks in advance, Craig

Craig S
02-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Mark: All the 24 V-drives I have seen have the bumpout for i/o. That was about 5 boats. Also, at home I have an ad showing both boats. I will see if it shows your transom. Craig

Craig S
02-02-2005, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=craig stanfield]Also, at home I have an ad showing both boats. I will see if it shows your transom. Craig[/QUOTE

]
May 1970 Boating shows both boat with yours in forefront. But no transom shot.

vrod02
02-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Lucy you got some splain'n to do! My question to BROWNIE is my 19 allmand with twin small block fords twin tanks 60gal mid, 50 gal in front.How is this boat going to perform? I dont care about speed I'm more worried about plane speed and porpoising. Anybodys guess but you designed this hull so I thought I would ask. Its a project boat. nobody I know has driven it. Thanks Barry

ALLAN BROWN
02-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Waaay too many questions..... Glass liner in the 24', 69/70. Both boats had the same, "bustled" transom. I used 426" Chryslers and vee drives in most of the 19's. Did one with a big Mercruiser and #3SSM for Tommy Adams, but I think he got shot before he got to use it. As far as the twin small block, I don't think you could make the 19' porpoise. Most all boats use an angle piece for motor mounts. What else?

AB

vrod02
02-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the info Brownie. Almost everybody that looks at the 19 here says "that boat needs deep water" I'm hoping she'll run flat without tabs. :boat: Stainless M make any manifolds for sb fords?

f_inscreenname
02-08-2005, 02:24 PM
How was the hull or motor vented? I don't see any clam shells on the deck of your boat (the picture in the brochure). Mine looks like they added it after the boat was built, maybe for USCG regs. Did it come with a hurricane top? If so did it cover the windshield or snap along the top of it. I ask because I had snaps in both areas (and a lot more) and I wasn't sure which way it went. Here is one I think you would only know. Are Allmands a exact copy of the Nova Marine 19’? It doesn't seem like they had any time to change it before they started producing them. Were they driven from the port or the starboard side? My steering wheel is on the port side where Vrod’s is on the starboard side. Why is the boat so wide? 8’ at the transom on a 19’ boat is not seen very often. Was it for interior space (more then any other 19' boat I have seen) or for stability? How fast (mph) have you had one go? When (mph) dose it become unstable? One day I plan on doing a dream rebuild with a massive motor but would not want to over do it. I am really starting to lean toward making it a full inboard after seeing what I have here.

Most important question I would ask if I had only one is “are there any more 19’ Novas (yours or John A’s) out there”. I only know of three. Mine, Vrod’s and one on eBay that someone converted to a outboard. I know... I was sad when I saw it to. I tried contacting the seller and new owner with no reply. I guess you can say it is lost again. So now we are back to two in our little club.

Again Thank You

ALLAN BROWN
02-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Same mold. I don't recall what the vent scheme was, but it wasn't magic. 60mph with inboard 426 six pak.There are real ones in the Chesapeake area. I started with 4 fat asses in two seats, and built the boat around that.

AB

f_inscreenname
02-08-2005, 03:21 PM
four fat ass's
How funny is that!!! That is how you build a boat.

Craig S
02-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks Brownie. When you speak, its like words from above...

btw, were all your Novas (19 and 24) white trimmed with gold, with brown upholstery?

and the 4 fat asses...is that a shortened 24' mold for the 19?
Thanks, Craig

vrod02
02-08-2005, 11:26 PM
Four fat asses? My 19 only sits one skinny elephant! Political humor.So the 19 was designed around 4 side by side.Was the 24 designed tandem?http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif Would the real 19 step up! Where are any of those elusive 32 at.I would love to see just one.You said Allmand 19's and Nova 19's came from the same mold. Come on Brownie with all due respect thats like telling somebody that owns a Donzi if it aint Aronow its not a real Donzi. !19 Allmands , even with those "devilish aluminium outdrives" are your boats period.

ALLAN BROWN
02-09-2005, 07:29 AM
I also have a few kids around the world that I don't claim. I used the gunwale and the sides and transom from the 24', the deck from the 28' Cary, and wild imagination.

f_inscreenname
02-09-2005, 11:59 AM
I must say your imagination has brought me a lot of happiness (lots of sorrow also when things are not right). For that matter my boat has become part of the family and I plan on keeping it forever. It is very awesome to have the only boat that looks like the 19’ on the bay. The best part is it is not only unique but it is also a very cool looking boat and a conversation starter. I have yet to meet anyone that said they didn't like it.

If you ever run across folks with a 19’ (Nova Marine or Allmand) or anything related please send them my way. Like I said, Barry (Vrod) and I would like to have more people in our club then just us.

Thanks Mark

P.S. If you claim us or not we still know. John may have built us but we know where the DNA so to speak came from.

DonziDave
02-10-2005, 09:06 PM
I owned a 1971 19' SuperNova that Brownie built for John Holman of Holman Moody fame. It had a counter rotating H/M 427 Ford w/ vee-drive. It was a great boat...!! I am sorry to this day that I ever sold it.
Dave

f_inscreenname
02-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Do you know where it went? Or where it is today? I ask because I am building a web page (if I ever get it done) and would like to find as many as I can.

Thanks Mark

DonziDave
02-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Unfortunately the guy I sold it to was driving it drunk one night about 15 years ago and hit a concrete bridge piling here on my lake at about 40 mph. Tore the entire bow off and sank. Boat was destroyed and engine/running gear was salvaged. It broke my heart...like I said, I'm sorry that I ever let that boat go. If you ever run across another 19' SuperNova that has a sound hull, I would really be interested.
There is a good photo from an ad on a previous post about the Nova. Don't know if you have seen it.
You ought to have a set of the double wide front seats made for your boat....it was a unique feature of these boats.
Dave

f_inscreenname
02-13-2005, 09:48 PM
If you want to do the leg work. Here is a lead

To: "mailto:lordyork@bellsouth.net"

Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2004 6:41 PM

Subject: Question from eBay Member: 19FT SUPER NOVA CLASSIC SPEEDBOAT 235 HP JOHNSON

Question from eBay Member: 19FT SUPER NOVA CLASSIC SPEEDBOAT 235 HP JOHNSON

http://www.donzi.net/forums/Image2.gif

Dear lord York,

I ran across this one, early this year on eBay. Lord York was a strange guy and only e-mailed me back once. I tried contacting the new owner through eBay but got no response. If you have a eBay connection they may be able to help you out with a idem # "http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2473340327"
The one draw back is someone converted it to a outboard. I guess it come down to how bad you want one

M

DonziDave
02-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the lead, but I wouldn't want one that had been butchered like that...what a shame. However, keep a lookout....I still hunting...just no luck so far.
Thanks again - Dave

f_inscreenname
02-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Dave

Like I said in a past post I am trying to put a web site together for these Nova‘s. When That is done I may find more then just the two of them I know now. It may just end up wasted web space but I got nothing else going on now so we will see.

M

DonziDave
02-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Let me know when you get your site set up. With some digging, I may be able to come up with a couple of pictures of my SuperNova.
Dave

Mercrewser
02-27-2005, 01:35 PM
I'll be a regular visiter of the site, thats for sure.

vrod02
02-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Hey Mark what are you going to call the website? Any idea when it will be up and running!!!!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: