PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a GPS

DonziChick
02-02-2005, 10:41 AM
I thought maybe I ought to get a GPS since I'll be doing a lot of boating on Erie and will probably need the navigation as soon as I don't have it. That said, I think that I want a Garmin GPS 76 (unless anyone else has any other bright ideas). If anyone is looking to upgrade or something, I would be willing to buy a used one if in good condition. Basically SELL ME YOUR USED GPS :D :yes:

Fish boy
02-02-2005, 11:32 AM
what exactly do you want to do wit it? the 76 is a good unit (I had one), but I beleive it does not have mapping capabilities.

I recently bought a garmin 60c on ebay for a lot less than in the stores. it is color, has mapping, battery life is 36 hrs (as opposed to 6-10 with most), 56mb memory (versus around 4 or 5 with most). the map is so good, I can literally come in to port and through channels in total darkness using only ther gps. DOn't suggest it though.

I purchased sperately blue charts and city streets. THe unit came with decent mapping software, but these to gave me every marker, reef...etc as well as all streets in north america.

I use mine in the car and in the boat and could not be happier with it. It was a bit more $ in the begining, but there is so much info (closest gas station, restaurant, gym... etc) where ever I am, as well as tons of nautical info that I am glad I did it.

DonziChick
02-02-2005, 11:43 AM
I just need something simple actually. I just don't like the idea of going out on Erie by myself or with non-boating friends and not having one in the event of bad weather. I looked up some info on it and it said that it was able to hold 50 routes or so and that included marine. It listed as showing where all of the nautical navigation stuff is as well.

I don't really want to spend a lot of money, just have something that if I should need to know where I am, it will be there.

RedDog
02-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Maybe more than you want to spend?

But a great unit combined with fish/depth finder

http://www.boatersland.com/lowm68c.html
http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=13108287

Cuda
02-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Personally, I'd never venture out where I had to trust my life to a gps. All it really is is a radio reciever. Radios can and do go on the blink. Batteries also go dead. The battery never goes dead in a compass.

I have a cheap garmin Etrex. Handheld under $100. No charts or anything, but hell, I'd get seasick trying to read them anyway. :)

DonziChick
02-02-2005, 02:59 PM
I don't go out when the weather looks bad, and I'll definitely keep charts with me. I just remember when I was a kid being lost on Lake Cumberland because the fog was so bad. We had a couple of boats, everyone was an experienced boater and a lot of people knew the lake backwards and forwards. We still couldn't find out way home. the weather was something that just came up suddenly. I'd like to have a few tricks in case something like that happens.